Keys to Contreras' success

Jabroni

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 6, 2005 -> 05:54 AM)
His next start should be against Tampa Bay.  Does that qualify as a major league team?

Well more so than KC is... I mean they do have Huff and Crawford.... I hope we get to see Kazmir... Want to see him pitch, Greinkie was good to watch the 2 games we faced him, I like young pitchers.

His next start should be against Tampa Bay.  Does that qualify as a major league team?

Check out this nastiness...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/7043...r&type=Pitching

Jose Contreras vs. Tampa Bay Devil Rays (career stats)
4 starts
3-0 record
1.57 ERA
0.91 WHIP
.173 BAA
28.2 IP
18 H
6 R
5 ER
1 HR
8 BB
19 SO

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
They don't have Vizquel and Lawton to get on base at the top of the order.  Jody Gerut and Juan-Gone are on the DL.  Also, Coco Crisp isn't hitting like he did last season.  This season, he has only killed us. :chair Oh yeah, and Aaron Boone SUCKS.

Victor martinez has been raking the ball too.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 6, 2005 -> 03:46 AM)
sometimes i think he should just get rid of the stretch...forget about the men on base ala maddux...i think hes got good enough stuff to know he can get out of any jam

I love this point and it happened again yesterday in the 7th when he walked the guy right after a man got on base. Pick up the pace and F' the stretch, I know I can live with guys running on him if he gets the guy out at the plate.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2005 -> 07:24 AM)
As the season goes on, there is no doubt in my mind that the move of the off season was Kenny Williams signing AJ Pierzynski.  This guy has made the entire pitching staff better, and most noticably one Jose Contreras, former mental case.

I believe El Duque is a major contributor to Contreras' success as well.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2005 -> 05:24 AM)
As the season goes on, there is no doubt in my mind that the move of the off season was Kenny Williams signing AJ Pierzynski.  This guy has made the entire pitching staff better, and most noticably one Jose Contreras, former mental case.

I agree wholeheartedly. Oz, Coop and any catcher from last season couldn't get Contreras to stop the over reliance on the splitter. He really seems to trust Pyrz. Maybe its just coincidence that the whole pitching staff is on fire but Pyrz has a lot to do with it IMO. He has supreme confidence in his abilty to call a game and doesnt seem the type to back off and let the pitcher make the decisions.

Might as well give KW some props too. He "pwned" the Yankees in the swap of Loaiza for Contreras.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ May 6, 2005 -> 03:38 AM)
Jose would be a first ballot Hall of Famer if he only had to pitch against KC and Tampa Bay.

He owns Cleveland too. Usually he has problems facing a team for a second time. Look at what he did to the Sox back in September 2003, and then in April 2004.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 5, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylc=X3o...0505104&prov=ap

Keys to Contreras' success:

1.)  Work quicker a la Buehrle.

2.)  Challenge hitters by throwing strikes.  Your stuff is good so trust it.

3.)  Don't get flustered with men on base.

working fast isnt for everyone. anyone who has pitched knows that when you are going bad, you cant push yourself to go fast, you have to find your rhythm first, then when you get locked in, then you can move fast. but if you are missing spots and hanging breaking balls, usually its better to not work fast and to take a step back. some guys simply can't work fast either, and i dont think working fast gives a big advantage, unless you define fast as throwing strikes then its an advantage. essentially, just stay in teh rhythm that you are comftorable with, whether its fast or slow, but just make sure its your pace and dont let teh hitter get you out of it

Edited by daa84