Moronotti's latest ramblings...

Jabroni

"Somehow, sizzling Sox getting the job done"

May 6, 2005

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay06.html

I love how he bashes the Sox for beating weak teams considering his Flubs just lost a series to the Astros and got swept by the Brewers. :headshake This tool needs a beating. :chair

Edited by Jabroni

As much as I hate to read him, his question marks about the team are correct. Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, Shingo are all concerns and people we will desperately need when we start facing the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yanks, Angles, etc. I love what has happened this year, but we all keep saying the hitting will come around when it gets warmer. Two series in domes would dictate it's time for our guys to start right now.

This guy is such a jag!

...allow me to remind you they've compiled 17 of their 21 victories against losing teams.

But, wouldn't it stand to reason if the Sox are winning at a .750 clip that they have caused those teams to be losing teams?

QUOTE(mreye @ May 6, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
This guy is such a jag!

But, wouldn't it stand to reason if the Sox are winning at a .750 clip that they have caused those teams to be losing teams?

Booyaa...The Twins and Sox have helped keep Detroit and Cleveland below .500. And I read mariotti everyday, just to see what he has to say. Its like a train wreck, I can't look away. I have fallen into his trap! Me --> :chair

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 6, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
Booyaa...The Twins and Sox have helped keep Detroit and Cleveland below .500.  And I read mariotti everyday, just to see what he has to say.  Its like a train wreck, I can't look away.  I have fallen into his trap!  Me -->  :chair

"The average Howard Stern fan listens for 45 minutes. Why? they want to know what he'll say next."

"The average Howard Stern hater listens for an hour and a half. Why? They want to know what he'll say next."

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 6, 2005 -> 06:58 AM)
Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, Shingo are all concerns and people we will desperately need when we start facing the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yanks, Angles, etc.

Yanks are tied for last place, with an old pitching staff. I'll take my chances. Actually, our pitching staff matches up with anybody's.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 6, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
This guy is such a jag!

That and the fact that his Flubbs are LOSING to losing teams. This is comical. I dont know why people around here read this jag bag.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 6, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
As much as I hate to read him, his question marks about the team are correct. Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, Shingo are all concerns and people we will desperately need when we start facing the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yanks, Angles, etc. I love what has happened this year, but we all keep saying the hitting will come around when it gets warmer. Two series in domes would dictate it's time for our guys to start right now.

Jag's column today was not bad, he is using some restraint.I hope yesterday was a big confidence rebuilder for Shingo. It was great to see that big smile on his face again. Plus, the NL teams we'll play this year haven't seen him as much (at all?), so that should be a slight advantage for him over Herm, maybe. If Shingo continues to struggle, I'd like to see Ozzie experiment and put Politte in more later inning situations. Thoughts?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 6, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
That and the fact that his Flubbs are LOSING to losing teams.  This is comical.  I dont know why people around here read this jag bag.

Honestly, I never read him until somebody posts it on here. Like it was said, before: It's like a train wreck.

Lets see here.

We've played Detroit, Minny, Cleveland, KC, Oakland and Seattle so far in the early going.

Minny = winning record Sox record against = 4-1

Oakland = Losing record Sox record against = 1-2

Seattle = losing record Sox record against = 2-1

Cleveland = losing record Sox record against = 4-2

Detroit = losing record ( 12-15 ) Sox record against = 4-1

KC = losing record Sox record against = 6-0

Looks like the only team we made a losing team with our record against them is Detroit which I highlighted by adding in their record. Everyone else thats losing would still be losing even if they had, say, an even record against us.

I actually thought this was a pretty good article. He really didn't slam our team, he just raised a lot of questions that a lot of people on this board have raised. He more or less stated:

1) Our starting pitching is winning us games (lots of 1 run starting pitching efforts)

2) Our offense blows (at least statistically)

3) Our bullpen has been successful, in his terms "credible", but is due for a fall off in comparison to its stellar performance

4) There could be chemistry and "who's on the bench" issues when Frank gets back

5) We haven't really played anyone yet (Twins and As are it, basically)

6) Our attendance is low

7) We are slowly receiving national attention, but nobody really thinks this team will make the series... yet.

All of those are pretty much facts. This was a good column. I don't think anybody has anything to complain about. He even tells us to hold it over Cubdom, but in moderation :)

EDIT: For spelling

Edited by Wedge

Why would you even read this damn article if it's SO personal. That's the thing that hits out at me the most from his Sox articles. It's all about him vs. Hawk, him vs. JR, him vs. KW, him vs. Ozzie. For bleeping sake, there are more humans on this planet than just you Mr. Kotex Boy, although he wouldn't realize it. It's his way or the high-way.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 7, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
I agree.  I didn't have any problems with his column.  He's expressed nothing more than we have here at Soxtalk.

I guess considering it is from Mariotti, more people, mainly Sox fans are likely to jump on it and call it garbage. Hey at least, he had a go at the Cubs right? :lol:

:sleep

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 6, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
Lets see here. 

We've played Detroit, Minny, Cleveland, KC, Oakland and Seattle so far in the early going. 

Minny = winning record    Sox record against = 4-1

Oakland = Losing record  Sox record against = 1-2

Seattle = losing record        Sox record against = 2-1

Cleveland = losing record    Sox record against = 4-2

Detroit = losing record    ( 12-15 )  Sox record against = 4-1

KC = losing record          Sox record against = 6-0

Looks like the only team we made a losing team with our record against them is Detroit which I highlighted by adding in their record.  Everyone else thats losing would still be losing even if they had, say, an even record against us.

Nuke, I think I follow you here, but summarzie your point for me. I'm not awake yet, too many Cinco de Mayo Maragritas for me last night.

:drink :D :puke :sleep

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
I agree.  I didn't have any problems with his column.  He's expressed nothing more than we have here at Soxtalk.

When it comes to Mariotti his message seems to get lost in his words. Because of his personality on his old radio show, his outspoken riff between him and Hawk and Jerry it creates a general tone that seems to seep into anything he writes when concerning the White Sox. Even this article had a good amount of legitimate concerns to it (although I disagree that the bullpen is bound to "level out") it is the manner in which he writes it that seems to anger so many of the Black and White faithful. Mr. Mariotti needs to learn that its not always what you say, but how you say it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
I guess considering it is from Mariotti, more people, mainly Sox fans are likely to jump on it and call it garbage. Hey at least, he had a go at the Cubs right?  :lol:

Whether he went at the Cubs ar not has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned. He wrote a fair assessment of the Sox. He gave them credit for their accomplishments and brought up legitmate questions that concern us all.

I don't read Mariotti with an eye toward picking his work apart to see if he's being unfair toward the Sox. But sometimes, he can't help but letting his Cubluv shine through. When that happens, then I call him out ... here. Calling him out via email just gets you a smug response, if anything.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ May 6, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
When it comes to Mariotti his message seems to get lost in his words.  Because of his personality on his old radio show, his outspoken riff between him and Hawk and Jerry it creates a general tone that seems to seep into anything he writes when concerning the White Sox.  Even this article had a good amount of legitimate concerns to it (although I disagree that the bullpen is bound to "level out") it is the manner in which he writes it that seems to anger so many of the Black and White faithful.  Mr. Mariotti needs to learn that its not always what you say, but how you say it.

What did he say in this article to piss you off?

He made fun of Ozzie with the "Italian (bleep)" comment, but that was in good spirits, I thought.

He didn't even attack Jerry this article. He was only mentioned for liking the '55 Dodgers, a team that this year's Sox apparently resemble.

Mariotti is an ass; I'll agree with that premise. However, this was a pretty decent column.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 6, 2005 -> 05:54 AM)
"Somehow, sizzling Sox getting the job done"

May 6, 2005

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay06.html

I love how he bashes the Sox for beating weak teams considering his Flubs just lost a series to the Astros and got swept by the Brewers.  :headshake  This tool needs a beating. :chair

that guy is such a douchebag

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 6, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)

no, here is teh difference though, we here at sox talk will acknowledge when the sox do something great, or get great performances. Mariotti only looks at the negative, not only for the sox, but for everyone. he always sees the glass half empty or whatever, especially with teh sox. While we criticize, we also praise our sox when they do well. Mariotti only criticizes. I swear every article he writes about teh sox, he makes some allusion to his hatred for hawk, how the cubs out draw the sox, and how the sox are small market in a big market. This is exactly what he wants though, he just wants us to get pissed off so that we keep reading his crappy articles. he is no doubt an embarrassment to the entire city of chicago with the way he blasts just about every major sports figure in town just to make a story

I was thinking about our weak schedule thus far and I thought the same thing. We are just beating weaker opponents and we are due for a fall once the schedule gets more difficult. However, the Twins have faced the same exact teams we have, minus the A's and add the Angels. Last time I checked they are behind us by 4.5 games. I think if we need to get better at something then Kenny will pull the trigger. Right now I see absolutely nothing to b**** about.