A.J Pierzynski

DBAHO

Article here from the Southtown;

For the first time in more than a year, A.J. Pierzynski feels at home.

The White Sox catcher is hoping he can make it a permanent stay.

Pierzynski, who signed a one-year, $2.25 million deal with the Sox during the offseason, will be arbitration-eligible after the season if the Sox don't sign him to an extension. He feels comfortable enough with his new team to want to stay on the South Side and hopes the organization feels the same way.

"I'm arbitration-eligible, so it won't be up to me," Pierzynski said. "If they want to bring me back, they'll bring me back.

"I love Chicago. I love the city. The guys here have gone out of their way to welcome me. I just hope we can keep winning like we have, and the rest will take care of itself. We had a great first month. Now we have to finish what we've started."

Pierzynski isn't expecting the Sox to beat down his door to get a deal done, especially with other contract situations the club will be facing. Paul Konerko and Carl Everett both are eligible to become free agents after the season, and the Sox would have to pay Frank Thomas a $3.5 million buyout even if they decide to let him go as a free agent.

"There are bigger priorities than me," Pierzynski said. "But like I said, we keep winning and the rest will take care of itself."

Pierzynski isn't exactly challenging for a batting title, but he is hitting a respectable .270 with two home runs and four RBI. And the Sox have been impressed with the way he's handled the pitching staff and with his attitude in the clubhouse.

It's not at all the attitude that earned Pierzynski a bad reputation in San Francisco last season and that even made him an enemy of Sox fans when he was with the Minnesota Twins from 1998-2003.

"He's been great," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "The pitchers have a lot of confidence in him. One of the best things we did this year was bring him here. On the field and off, he's been awesome."

Pierzynski said his teammates have made it an easy transition for him.

"I didn't know what to expect when I walked into this clubhouse," Pierzynski said. "Playing for the Twins all those years and going against this team like we did, it was a heated rivalry where there was a lot of back and forth. I didn't know how I would be received or what would happen.

"You heard stories about the Sox clubhouse and what it was like, that they weren't together, but this place has been better than I could have ever imagined. They all make it fun to come to the ballpark every day. I didn't have fun coming to the park last year. Now, you go somewhere on the road and there's 20 guys from the team all together. We like being around each other. That's important for any clubhouse."

That wasn't the case for Pierzynski last season with the Giants. Not only did he have to put up with teammates bad-mouthing him to the media behind his back, he had to deal with being in the same clubhouse with the super-sized ego of Barry Bonds.

"I understand there are stars in the game and there are players that need to be treated differently, but it makes it harder in the clubhouse when you have guys like that," Pierzynski said. "It's almost like guys like that aren't part of the team. Anytime you're around them, it's like walking on eggshells. You had your stars in Minnesota and your stars here, but they're on the same level as you."

:headbang :headbang

I have a feeling they'll sign him long-term. There's no one else in the organization that seems to be ready to catching duties. The way he has handled the pitchers so far, he can only be rewarded with a long-term contract.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Kenny-Get it Done.  something along the lines of 3 years $13 million plus and team option for a 4th year would look good to me

06-$3.5

07-$4

08-$4.5

09-$5 with $1 buyout.

No rush on getting this done. There's plenty of time for that. AJ's still "motivated" to prove himself. Let's run with that for a while.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
His effect on the pitching staff alone is worth it to me.

No complaints there from me. But let's just make sure it's the real AJ. We can sign him in August.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 7, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
No complaints there from me.  But let's just make sure it's the real AJ.  We can sign him in August.

Thought you may want to see this;

A.J. Pierzynski was not upset that manager Ozzie Guillen pinch hit for him yesterday against Andy Sisco.

''I understood,'' Pierzynski said. ''Heck, I don't blame him. I would have done the same thing. Bringing in a 6-10 lefty, not a lot of guys have had success off him. The one thing I learned last year was not to get upset over stuff like that.'' May. 6 - 9:00 am et

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 7, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
I think of him as a longtime White Sox already. That's good. I don't even have to think about behind the plate because he calls damn good games and his offense is top 3 for catchers IMO. Plus he's a lefty. I'm sure KW will get a deal done to sign him long term.

Unless his man love for Ben Davis gets in the way. :lol:

I'll tell you why im against a long term deal of AJ. First I think a 2 year deal would suffice, but signing him any longer than that may cause a log-jam of catchers in our system. He have several catching prospects in A and double A ball that will be ready in 2 years. I wouldnt want to be forced to get rid of that talent simply because we signed AJ to a long term deal. its been quite awhile since we have had some catching talent in our system.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 7, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
I'll tell you why im against a long term deal of AJ.  First I think a 2 year deal would suffice, but signing him any longer than that may cause a log-jam of catchers in our system.  He have several catching prospects in A and double A ball that will be ready in 2 years.  I wouldnt want to be forced to get rid of that talent simply because we signed AJ to a long term deal.  its been quite awhile since we have had some catching talent in our system.

Francisco Hernandez and Donny Lucy won't be ready for 3 years minimum. Lucy struggled at rookie ball last season, and Hernandez is only down at low A Kanny as we speak.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
I'll tell you why im against a long term deal of AJ.  First I think a 2 year deal would suffice, but signing him any longer than that may cause a log-jam of catchers in our system.  He have several catching prospects in A and double A ball that will be ready in 2 years.  I wouldnt want to be forced to get rid of that talent simply because we signed AJ to a long term deal.  its been quite awhile since we have had some catching talent in our system.

I don't see a-one to get excited about.

Molina, Garcia, Lee? Hansen, Lisk, Hernandez? Aceves, STEWART?

No thanks. C'mon back AJ.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Francisco Hernandez and Donny Lucy won't be ready for 3 years minimum. Lucy struggled at rookie ball last season, and Hernandez is only down at low A Kanny as we speak.

I just see a 19 year old, maybe he is 20 now down at low a can possibly be scraping the top of the system in 2 years. I see him at least at W-S by the end of the year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 6, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
I just see a 19 year old, maybe he is 20 now down at low a can possibly be scraping the top of the system in 2 years. I see him at least at W-S by the end of the year.

That's a stretch. And even if one of these kids can make the team in 2 years, are they going to be the starter? Highly unlikely.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
That's a stretch.  And even if one of these kids can make the team in 2 years, are they going to be the starter?  Highly unlikely.

Well, that begs the question:

Even if you/Sox organization are high on one of these guys in low-A ball, do you think they will come up and out-produce Pierzynski, one of the better game-calling backstops in the American League? Doubtful.