A.J Pierzynski

DBAHO

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
That's a stretch.  And even if one of these kids can make the team in 2 years, are they going to be the starter?  Highly unlikely.

Agreed, I just dont want to be locked up into a contract with AJ in case one of these guys turns out to be a stud.

I agree that it should be on Kenny's long list of things to get done, but not before you deal with PK, Frank etc. The last thing that we need is for AJ to get a long term deal and stop feeling the need to prove his worth, although this should be a pride issue regardless of contract status. That being said, AJ has done a wonderful job with this staff and I would love to see him here for years to come. Plus, what would we do without his speed on the basepaths?

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ May 6, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
I agree that it should be on Kenny's long list of things to get done, but not before you deal with PK, Frank etc.  The last thing that we need is for AJ to get a long term deal and stop feeling the need to prove his worth, although this should be a pride issue regardless of contract status.  That being said, AJ has done a wonderful job with this staff and I would love to see him here for years to come.  Plus, what would we do without his speed on the basepaths?

I dont mean to make a huge tangent here. This may draw some criticism as well, but I dont think we should re-sign PK. I know it sounds a little over the top, but as far as kenny making a big deal, alot of people have mentioned Huff, and I think Kenny can pull the string on that deal, then we can unload PK.

Heres to wishful thinking :cheers

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
Kenny-Get it Done.  something along the lines of 3 years $13 million plus and team option for a 4th year would look good to me

06-$3.5

07-$4

08-$4.5

09-$5 with $1 buyout.

I don't know if that will get it done...

Damian Miller and AJ's replacement got 3/9M -- I don't think either of them are in AJ's range. And they're both significatly older.

We got a break because the market bottomed out for AJ last season. The "cancer" tag drove the price through the floor. He probably would have commanded about $5M/yr before that. That's probably going to be the starting point with new contract.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 6, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
Article here from the Southtown;

AJ has long been one of my all time favs...I had wanted him on the SouthSide for years...if they ink him long term...I'm going on whitesox.com or wherever else and buying a Pyrz jersey :headbang

GET ER DONE :cheers

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 6, 2005 -> 07:35 AM)
I just see a 19 year old, maybe he is 20 now down at low a can possibly be scraping the top of the system in 2 years. I see him at least at W-S by the end of the year.

First he's a catcher, second he's still got tons of work to do and third, he isn't going to get promoted anytime soon. Catchers are the slowest moving guys through the system because there is so much more to learn than how to hit pitching at different levels. You need to learn and constantly improve your game calling skills, release, and blocking ability behind the plate.

He's still insanely raw too. At the very least, he'd be in Bham next year, Charlotte the following year and then Chicago....and frankly I could see it being even another year. Lucy is a guy that could get hot, but as physically gifted as he is, he still is quite raw.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ May 6, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Sign him.  He doesn't seem like the type who would change his attitude after signing a long term.  Besides, I want to buy a jersey with his name on it and I don't want it to be obsolete in 6 months.

I already orderd my Pierzynski Jersy :gosox3:

I'd love to ink AJ long term. He handles a pitching staff extremely well, he has the perfect attitude around here and the guy can hit. There aren't many guys I'd rather have up in a clutch situation then AJ. Lets do this.

not sure if anyone else brought this up but do you think we would be hearing about how much he loved playing here if we were 7-22 instead of 22-7. i mean dont get me wrong he is one of my favs on this team and i have heard that he is a really nice guy. so i hope he would still be saying that. and i hope that we do sign him!

Edited by Chisox_10

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ May 7, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
not sure if anyone else brought this up but do you think we would be hearing about how much he loved playing here if we were 7-22 instead of 22-7. i mean dont get me wrong he is one of my favs on this team and i have heard that he is a really nice guy. so i hope he would still be saying that. and i hope that we do sign him!

Um... :bang

No? I bet he would love losing?

Of course he loves being here because we are winning, but that's among other things.

As long as the team is winning everybody loves everybody. Let's look at a player like Esteban who many people wanted signed for life. I'm with YASNY, waiting a little longer, especially when he expects to be kept waiting is the proper course of action.