Audioslave - first US rock band to perform in Cuba

Goldmember

link

U.S. rock band concert a first in Cuba

Thu May 5, 2005 5:38 PM ET

HAVANA (Reuters) - Audioslave will become the first U.S. rock band to give an open-air concert in Communist Cuba when it performs on Friday on a stage used for rallies against the U.S. government, concert organizers said.

Although the United States and Cuba have had no diplomatic relations for over four decades, cultural exchanges and certain other visits are permitted. The U.S. Treasury Department granted the rock band permission to perform on the island and the Instituto Cubano de la Musica approved the concert.

"Music can transcend politics and this trip is proof of that," said the band's singer, Chris Cornell, at a news conference in Havana on Thursday. "It is all about music, period."

The band, founded by former members of grunge band Rage Against the Machine, promised Cubans the loudest concert they had ever heard when they perform on Havana's waterfront.

The group will play on the Anti-Imperialist Stage, which is used by the Cuban government for protests against the U.S. government.

The United States has enforced sanctions on Cuba since shortly after Cuban President Fidel Castro's 1959 revolution and hostility has intensified during the Bush administration.

In the last two years, Washington has cut back visits to Cuba for cultural purposes and denied entry to the United States to Cuban musicians nominated for Grammy awards, including 77-year-old singer Ibrahim Ferrer of the popular Buena Vista Social Club.

"Both governments wish to speak out to the youth and it is a wonderful coincidence of agendas," said the band's lawyer, Bill Martinez.

"Hopefully this will broaden the musical borders between our two countries," said Cornell, former frontman for Soundgarden.

During the Cold War, Western rock music and long hair were frowned upon in Cuba. Beatles and Rolling Stones records were underground possessions. That changed in the 1980s and foreign bands regularly perform on the island now.

Former Yes keyboard player Rick Wakeman gave concerts in Havana two weeks ago, the biggest British rock star to perform in Cuba.

Edited by Goldmember

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 6, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
That is one reason I wish I could go to Cuba.

18 days till Out of Exile comes out...I'm f***in pumped!  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

Audioslave is kick ass.

You can go there pretty easily, just fly there from Mexico. The Cubans won't stamp your passport, if you ask them no to. When you get back to the states, there will be no proof you were ever there. My buddies say they have amazing beaches and a great nightlife. I plan to go next year.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 6, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Banned

Nope, it's a scare tactic.

Technically, it's not illegal to visit Cuba, it is illegal to SPEND U.S. DOLLARS there. Even on the rare ocassion when Americans are caught visiting, the gov. very rarely does anything about it. You get off with a slap on the wrist.

HAVANA (Reuters) - Audioslave will become the first U.S. rock band to give an open-air concert in Communist Cuba when it performs on Friday on a stage used for rallies against the U.S. government, concert organizers said.

Although the United States and Cuba have had no diplomatic relations for over four decades, cultural exchanges and certain other visits are permitted. The U.S. Treasury Department granted the rock band permission to perform on the island and the Instituto Cubano de la Musica approved the concert.

"Music can transcend politics and this trip is proof of that," said the band's singer, Chris Cornell, at a news conference in Havana on Thursday. "It is all about music, period."

It's sad that the former frontman of a great band like Soundgarden is not only a Communist-sympathizer, but a hypocrite as well. :headshake

It's sad that the former frontman of a great band like Soundgarden is not only a Communist-sympathizer, but a hypocrite as well. jpshakehead.gif

That's quite a jump to conclusions.

They're playing on a stage which has been used for anti-US government speeches. They're not GIVING ONE.

f***, Cuba probably only has one stage in the whole country anyways.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 6, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
It's sad that the former frontman of a great band like Soundgarden is not only a Communist-sympathizer, but a hypocrite as well. :headshake

Thats the biggest pile of s*** I've heard in a while. Don't make direct correlations that dont exist. :headshake

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 6, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
It's sad that the former frontman of a great band like Soundgarden is not only a Communist-sympathizer, but a hypocrite as well.   :headshake

:fight

"hey moron"

Yeah...cuz doing what he's doing makes him a Communist-sympathizer.....GMAB :finger

Edited by TheBlackSox8

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 6, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)

How are Cornell and Audioslave communist sympathizers for playing in Cuba? I am not seeing the connection.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 7, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
How are Cornell and Audioslave communist sympathizers for playing in Cuba?  I am not seeing the connection.

Perhaps the communist sympathizer part was a bit off base, but let's look at a few facts...

(1) They're playing on the Anti-Imperialist Stage, which the Cuban government has used many times to protest against the U.S.

(2) The U.S. is currently involved in a controversial war and is being accused by many of being "imperialist."

(3) The former incarnation of Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, was very political and very blatantly liberal.

So, I'm to believe Chris Cornell when he says that this is only about music? Perhaps, but I'm not naive enough to believe that. Only a fool wouldn't at least be suspicious.

FWIW, I have no problem with Audioslave protesting U.S. foreign policy. Acting like men and doing it on American soil would make them look better, though.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 9, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Perhaps the communist sympathizer part was a bit off base, but let's look at a few facts...

(1) They're playing on the Anti-Imperialist Stage, which the Cuban government has used many times to protest against the U.S.

(2) The U.S. is currently involved in a controversial war and is being accused by many of being "imperialist."

(3) The former incarnation of Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, was very political and very blatantly liberal.

So, I'm to believe Chris Cornell when he says that this is only about music?  Perhaps, but I'm not naive enough to believe that.  Only a fool wouldn't at least be suspicious.

FWIW, I have no problem with Audioslave protesting U.S. foreign policy.  Acting like men and doing it on American soil would make them look better, though.

You obviosuly didn't follow Rage and don't follow AS that closely. Zach and Rage did a TON of protesting at their shows here in America. In fact, if I remember correctly they'd even hang the U.S. flag upside down on their drumkit sometimes. That's the beauty of America, it gives you the freedom to protest.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
You obviosuly didn't follow Rage and don't follow AS that closely. Zach and Rage did a TON of protesting at their shows here in America. In fact, if I remember correctly they'd even hang the U.S. flag upside down on their drumkit sometimes. That's the beauty of America, it gives you the freedom to protest.

Thanks for proving my point.

Like I said, I have no problem with them protesting. But those who protest the U.S. in communist nations look like cowards to me. JMO.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 9, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Thanks for proving my point.

Like I said, I have no problem with them protesting.  But those who protest the U.S. in communist nations look like cowards to me.  JMO.

I respect your opinion, but I thought you were implying that unless they protest inside the U.S, they're cowards :huh ....and they have done plenty of that.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
I respect your opinion, but I thought you were implying that unless they protest inside the U.S, they're cowards :huh ....and they have done plenty of that.

I do think that protesting against the U.S. in a rogue state is somewhat cowardly. They have the RIGHT to do it, of course, but I think that it reflects poorly on them.

That said, protesting inside the U.S. is a completely different story. IIRC, they're all citizens who pay taxes and vote, so that's fine with me.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Good luck, I couldn't figure it out either.

It's a simple concept: If you have a problem with someone, you confront them personally. You don't talk about them behind their backs like a coward.

If Audioslave has a problem with U.S. policy, they should be protesting in Washington, not as guests of the anti-American government in Havana.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
It's a simple concept:  If you have a problem with someone, you confront them personally.  You don't talk about them behind their backs like a coward.

If Audioslave has a problem with U.S. policy, they should be protesting in Washington, not as guests of the anti-American government in Havana.

Behind their backs? Going to Cuba is obviously a well publicized event, if anything it seems like they are sticking it to the man, like "in your face, we'll play in Cuba if we want damnit".

Also while I'm not really a fan of the band the members have obviously been protesting through their music and other forms for years on American soil.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ May 9, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
Also while I'm not really a fan of the band the members have obviously been protesting through their music and other forms for years on American soil.

Which is the way it should be done. Throwing bombs at America from a rogue nation like Cuba is about as un-American as it gets.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ May 9, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Apparently they have to play every concert in Washington DC right outside government buildings now. 

Playing in any other location makes them cowardly.

Even if they're playing music that's not political.

Nice try, but that's not what I said. So typical of lefties... :headshake

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
Which is the way it should be done.  Throwing bombs at America from a rogue nation like Cuba is about as un-American as it gets.

Nice try, but that's not what I said.  So typical of lefties... :headshake

You don't have to be a lefty to make fun of your statement.

And is there really any proof that they were doing anything in protest? I'm sure they've got a lot of fans in Cuba. But because they are under the rule of Castro they don't deserve to hear them?

During the Cold War, Western rock music and long hair were frowned upon in Cuba. Beatles and Rolling Stones records were underground possessions. That changed in the 1980s and foreign bands regularly perform on the island now.

:headbang