Most SP wins in a season..

NCsoxfan

With our pitching staff currently 17-3 I believe, I was wondering what the ML record is for most W's by a starting staff.

Aside from that, which team in the last 10-15 years has compiled the most wins in a year? I would have to guess Atlanta of the early 90's?

Is it possible for our starters to win 75 games?

I think there have been two starting staffs in the past that had 4 20 game winners. I'm almost 100 percent sure Cleveland did it in like the 70's (no clue who), and I think the Orioles did it back when Jim Palmer was heading their staff. Even considering they only had 4 man rotations back then, that's 80 wins, which is a hell of a total to try to pass.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 7, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
I think there have been two starting staffs in the past that had 4 20 game winners. I'm almost 100 percent sure Cleveland did it in like the 70's (no clue who), and I think the Orioles did it back when Jim Palmer was heading their staff. Even considering they only had 4 man rotations back then, that's 80 wins, which is a hell of a total to try to pass.

I don't recall the Indians doing it. The O's did. Palmer, Dave McNally, Mike Cuellar, and Pat Dobson were the starters that accomplished it, I believe.

Technically, it was 81 wins for the '71 Orioles pitching staff :P

Palmer - 20-9 2.68 ERA

Dobson - 20-8, 2.90

Cuellar - 20-9, 3.08

McNally - 21-5, 2.89

An interesting little tidbit...McNally threw the fewest amount of innings of the starters(224.3 compared to 282, 282.3, and 292.3 from top to bottom of the 3 respectfully), and he also started 7 fewer games than Palmer and 8 fewer than Dobson and Cuellar...yet ended up with more wins.