Over/Under Rated

Texsox

Would you rather be under rated or over rated?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather be under rated or over rated?

• Under Rated
    • Over Rated
    • I just like to Vote

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 7, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
Over-rated means you're not as good as your hype.

Under-rated means you're better than people give you credit for.

I'll take the under....

I disagree a little bit. You are who you are. In one case people think you are better and in the other, people don't give you enough credit. What changes is people's opinion, not if you are better or worse.

QUOTE(Goldmember @ May 7, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
don't mind me, just here for the voting... :D

just voting for the sake of voting is very under rated

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 7, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
I disagree a little bit. You are who you are. In one case people think you are better and in the other, people don't give you enough credit. What changes is people's opinion, not if you are better or worse.

Then you DO agree with me.... :D

I'm saying basically the same thing - the player hasn't changed, but the outside opinion is what rates him, whether over or under.

What I'm saying is I'd rather have people think I'm playing over my head than have them expect more than I might be able to deliver.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 7, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Then you DO agree with me.... :D

I'm saying basically the same thing - the player hasn't changed, but the outside opinion is what rates him, whether over or under.

What I'm saying is I'd rather have people think I'm playing over my head than have them expect more than I might be able to deliver.

OK we agree on the definition.

Question: Which manager gets promoted? The under rated manager who is very good, but is thought of as average, or the average manager who is viewed as very good?

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 7, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
OK we agree on the definition.

Question: Which manager gets promoted? The under rated manager who is very good, but is thought of as average, or the average manager who is viewed as very good?

Depends on WHO is doing the rating.

If a manager is considered average by media people but is understood to be very good by his bosses, he is in no danger.

A manager who is average but is considered to be very good probably lasts longer than he should as well, just because management probably would be skittish about dumping a guy who is considered to be a good manager unless he loses control of the team or if they're absolutely awful. Joe Torre might find this helpful in keeping his job right now.

If either of these guys is seen as "the problem" by their management, probably no one could save them in the end, though. After all, managers are hired to be fired.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 7, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Depends on WHO is doing the rating.

If a manager is considered average by media people but is understood to be very good by his bosses, he is in no danger.

A manager who is average but is considered to be very good probably lasts longer than he should as well, just because management probably would be skittish about dumping a guy who is considered to be a good manager unless he loses control of the team or if they're absolutely awful. Joe Torre might find this helpful in keeping his job right now.

If either of these guys is seen as "the problem" by their management, probably no one could save them in the end, though. After all, managers are hired to be fired.

Oops my bad. Which middle manager for Gaskets Inc.? Taking sports out of it.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 7, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
I try to never compare the real world with the world of sports.

I wouldn't get 7 tries at my job if I was whacked out on coke, so that removes reality from the sporting world IMO.

When I started the thread and asked the question, I wasn't thinking sports, which is why I placed it in SL&P. People are over rated and under rated in all fields, not just sports. No need to compare one against the other.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 7, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
When I started the thread and asked the question, I wasn't thinking sports, which is why I placed it in SL&P. People are over rated and under rated in all fields, not just sports. No need to compare one against the other.

Oh, okay, then I'll step out of the discussion, because to be honest, I've never heard much talk of over-rated or under-rated outside of sports or entertainment.

I don't feel qualified to comment on the topic outside of that realm.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 7, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
Oh, okay, then I'll step out of the discussion, because to be honest, I've never heard much talk of over-rated or under-rated outside of sports or entertainment.

I don't feel qualified to comment on the topic outside of that realm.

I think in a sports realm under rated is far better. Outside of sports and possibly entertainment, over rated is better.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 7, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
I think in a sports realm under rated is far better. Outside of sports and possibly entertainment, over rated is better.

Unless your agent is Borass--then it's waaaaaaaay better to be overrated.

Myself, I would rather be underrated. It's easier (and more fun) to prove people you're better than to let them down.