Willie Harris

BrandoFan

Porzio's on fire too Brando. Some guys can dominate at the minor league level and can't do jack s*** at the pro level. Harris' numbers, while not this good, were above average in the minors before his call-up last season. This doesn't mean anything until those minor league numbers translate to the big leagues.

This doesn't mean anything until those minor league numbers translate to the big leagues

So I guess I should disregard any signs of breakthrough because as we all know minor league "sucks". I guess he is washed-up at 24.

Meanwhile, Super Joe's OPS is half (yes half!) of that of Willie...I guess he is doubly washed-up, no?

Porzio's on fire too Brando. Some guys can dominate at the minor league level and can't do jack s*** at the pro level. Harris' numbers, while not this good, were above average in the minors before his call-up last season. This doesn't mean anything until those minor league numbers translate to the big leagues.

I'm with CK here - Harris didn't set our world afire last fall and in no way is he washed up and I am glad he is doing so well now - I am sure we will see him play some this season or definately next if we have no injuries this year - and I hope really hope he does as well when he comes back as he is doing now - but CK is right, some guys just dominate in AAA and can't make the move to the majors and I am of the suspicion that Harris is one of those. I would so love to be wrong. But no ticker tape parade for him yet.

But no ticker tape parade for him yet.

Argh, this is getting increasingly annoying...

Saying Mark Prior is "awesome" is not the same as saying "let's bake him a HOF cake"

"Sox have been playing s***ty teams so far" is not "let's give up on the season"

"Carlos Lee is regressing" is not "he will never be good, trade him for baseballs"

Similarly, "Willie Harris is absolutely tearing it up" is not the same as "pencil him in the All Star game at the Cell"

the movie major league really did a good job of capturing baseball...willie mays hays is willie harris...we need lou brown down there in charlotte to manage this guy....everytime willie harris hits a fly ball he ought to be fined..that includes home runs..

jerry manuel told the whole world willie harris wont be back until he learnes to hit the ball on the ground like luis castillo...so what does harris do??...goes to charlotte and thinks he is joe borchard...these guys egos are incredible

remember major league II..when the catcher goes "willie has some power" as he hits a home run in ST...and lou brown goes "yea , off a guy that will be sacking groceries next week"....those are the kind of guys willie harris is hitting home runs off of...guys that arnt in the majors and probably wont be soon... that's why he dominates in the minors then gets up here and hits 210 hitting everything in the air...warning track power..

the movie major league really did a good job of capturing baseball...willie mays hays is willie harris...we need lou brown down there in charlotte to manage this guy....everytime willie harris hits a fly ball he ought to be fined..that includes home runs..

I said the same exact thing about your boy Ray-Ray :lol: :headbang

I said the same exact thing about your boy Ray-Ray :lol: :headbang

ray also had a season where he had 72 extra base hits ;)

and average over 50 extra base hits while he was here...ray is one of the premiere leadoff men in baseball...ray had power..not great home run power but excellent power in the gaps...

"....those are the kind of guys willie harris is hitting home runs off of...guys that arnt in the majors and probably wont be soon... that's why he dominates in the minors then gets up here and hits 210 hitting everything in the air...warning track power..

So what does this say for Super Joe then? His OPS is 670

Willie was 23 last year and had, what, 80 at bats at the majors? AAA is not as "useless" as you might think. Jeff Liefer hit a lot of homers but he also couldn't walk or hit lefties there, the very same problems he had in the majors. Minor often serve as a good predictor and considering how bad Tigers, Indians and Royals (yes, they won't win 75 games this year), AAA level is not that much worse. Ask Crede who actually played better up here than he did in AA. Or He Seop Choi. Or Pujols.

In any case, we will never know until Willie has 500 or so atbats at the majors. Afterall it's not like he is the 6'7" Morgan dude who is 31 and is probably a AAAA player.

Baggs - gotta disagree with you on Harris.

Since none of us have wacthed him play, we don't know if he's swinging for the fences. He could be hitting line drives and grounders, which is what JM has wanted.

I also think Harris hasn't had that much time in the majors so nothing can really be decided. He needs to shorten his swing, hit for the liner/grounder and have a better eye. He does those things and he'll be in the majors a long time.

I can't comment on if he's doing it in Charlotte, but he's hitting the ball hard to all parts of the field which is great.

Baggs - gotta disagree with you on Harris.

Since none of us have wacthed him play, we don't know if he's swinging for the fences.  He could be hitting line drives and grounders, which is what JM has wanted. 

I also think Harris hasn't had that much time in the majors so nothing can really be decided.  He needs to shorten his swing, hit for the liner/grounder and have a better eye.  He does those things and he'll be in the majors a long time.

I can't comment on if he's doing it in Charlotte, but he's hitting the ball hard to all parts of the field which is great.

i give jerry manuel a little credit here..he wants harris to hit the ball on the ground..not hard to all fields...

harris has been up twice now and failed..thats not that unusual..but remember harris had a hell of a winter league..he tore it up in PR...then stunk it up in ST ..now is tearing it up in charlotte...watching him last year i dont see why in the world this guy would want to hit the ball in the air...

harris' speed in incredible...he doesnt need to hit it hard to all fields because if gets on via the single or a walk , he can steal 2nd off of just about any catcher in baseball..thats what jerry wants him to do

i give jerry manuel a little credit here..he wants harris to hit the ball on the ground..not hard to all fields...

1. Easier said than done...It's the same as saying to a struggling pitcher "get ahead of the hitters". Duh. JM's advise is of no help at all. Also it's like telling a stuggling fly-ball pitcher to become a ground-ball pitcher and then criticising him because he is blowing everyone away with K's...lol

2. As Chisoxfn said, we dont know what the hell is going on and to say "we need it on the ground, not to all fields" is simply ridiculous. You can do so much better, Baggs.

1. Easier said than done...It's the same as saying to a struggling pitcher "get ahead of the hitters". Duh. JM's advise is of no help at all. Also it's like telling a stuggling fly-ball pitcher to become a ground-ball pitcher and then criticising him because he is blowing everyone away with K's...lol

2. As Chisoxfn said, we dont know what the hell is going on and to say "we need it on the ground, not to all fields" is simply ridiculous. You can do so much better, Baggs.

why cant he learn to hit the ball on the ground???....luis castillo did..i dont understand???

willie harris doesnt have the kind of power it takes t o make in the majors as a fly ball hone run hitter....either he changes or he will be a bust...atleast he will be for us because herry has already said he doesnt want him up here until he learns to do that

now..im sure that since jerry said that he got with the minor league hitting instructor and can up with a plan for harris to do just that..he was talking to the press when he made that statement...he was asked why harris was sent down...so he didnt go into detail about the plan...maybe willie is hitting the ball on the ground alot and the 4 homers are liners that got out of the small park...i hope thats the case...cause i love harris' speed...