A Look into the 2005 Draft

danman31

A Look into the 2005 Draft

FutureSox breaks down the early look of the 2005 draft

By Jason Gage

It's early May and the White Sox sit atop the American League Central. Life is good on the Southside and in roughly a month the Sox will look to the future, adding some more promising prospects to a system that’s on the rise. The White Sox will not have any supplemental picks for the first time in a few years, nor will they have a 2nd round selection (it goes to the Yankees for the Orlando Hernandez signing), but they are choosing 15th overall in the 1st round. more...

This is more good draft stuff from Jason. If you don't know much about the draft, make sure to read Jason's articles that lead into the draft. They were great last year as it was my first year following the draft really closely and everything he wrote was very informative. I'm sure his draft pieces will be just as good this year.

Edited by danman31

With no second round pick, I wonder if that frees a little money, making our first round pick less of a risk, signability wise. I would still prefer not to pick a Boras client, but again, it would be nice to be able to pick the best talent available in that spot.

Just wanted to mention I saw Mike Pelfrey pitch on Friday and here was my review:

After following him for a few months, and interviewing him and some guys from BA for a WSIU feature, I finally got to see Pelfrey pitch. He came to Carbondale, IL on Friday. He did not disappoint. When I heard that he was 6'7 215 I thought that he'd be tall but without a major league body but that is not the case. His fastball was pretty good as the only hits were really metal bat shanks to opposite field which is a good sign. I loved the way he attacked the strike zone with his fastball more than any other pitch. He didn't overrely on his other stuff. That other stuff was better than advertised though. His power curve has been touted and it made hitters look foolish. I was most impressed by how much better his changeup looked than what I had heard. I heard it was a major league pitch but it looked like a plus pitch on Friday.

He induced a lot of groundball outs while going for abotu 130 pitches, which he has the body and arm to do. His line inlcuded no walks, 6 hits, no walks, and 8 K's in a compltet game shutout. One thing that caught my eye was the way he clamped down on Southern after getting the 3-0 lead in the second. Twice was there runners on 2nd and third with less than two outs and he didn't allow a run either time. He knew how to pitch with a lead. After the game, I went over and got him to sign my USA mini helmet and he was very nice. He was very appreciatve and shook my hand which was nice. Seems like a good kid.

Now, there were a lot of big league scouts there. Dozens. The ones that identified themselves by wearing their letters were the Texas Rangers, New York Yankees and the New York Mets. I heard many other clubs had people there. The interesting name there is the Mets who might look at him if he slides to 9 due to signability. I do have my feature available to hear but I have no clue how to post that here. Thanks for reading.