Kevin Walker & Harris recalled; Lopez, Burke down

whitesoxin'

Still doing a helluva lot better than the guy you wanted up with the Sox...  in Walker, of course.

Cotts career ERA of 5.75 sure bears that out too. The fact is that he walks too many batters. I think most Sox fans would admit to this.

Edited by Jabroni

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
What bait is there to take?  The guy issues too many walks and they are usually in the leadoff variety.  Am I wrong?

But you don't look at the positives of Cotts' pitching so far. Hitters are only hitting .156 off him, righties .059. Away from the Cell, he's been very, very good, with 3 BB's, 8 K's and hitters only hitting .120, and an away ERA of 2.45. In his last 5 outings, he's only given up 2 of 7 BB's as well.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
Cotts career ERA of 5.75 sure bears that out too.  The fact is that he walks too many batters.  I think most Sox fans would admit to this.

Yes, he does.

But he's still better than anyone else we have. Yes? You can't tell me that Walker is better.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
Cotts career ERA of 5.75 sure bears that out too.

And that's the deciding stat is it. My god, he's young and only going to get better. Of course Joe Crede's career batting average is pretty damn bad too I take it, so that automatically means he sucks.

But you don't look at the positives of Cotts' pitching so far. Hitters are only hitting .156 off him, righties .059. Away from the Cell, he's been very, very good, with 3 BB's, 8 K's and hitters only hitting .120, and an away ERA of 2.45. In his last 5 outings, he's only given up 2 of 7 BB's as well.

I look at all the stats. I hope he keeps striking guys out instead of walking them but as soon as he walks a guy or two and gives up a couple of hits or a homer, his ERA will skyrocket. Just like El Duque. Eventually the walks are going to burn them both.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
And that's the deciding stat is it. My god, he's young and only going to get better. Of course Joe Crede's career batting average is pretty damn bad too I take it, so that automatically means he sucks.

The only reason I'm mad about this is because it's a waste of money.

And that's now 1.4-2.4 million that they've wasted -- IMO, of course, which is debatable. And, when you have Jeff Baj, who's done just about everything he can do down at Charlotte, waiting in the wings, it's really a questionable move. Well, Ozzie wanted a lefty -- a LOOGY? Fine, Arnie Munoz can do the job better than Walker. He's done a better job this year.

I don't see the point of calling Walker up.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
I look at all the stats.  I hope he keeps striking guys out instead of walking them but as soon as he walks a guy and gives up a couple of hits or a homer, his ERA will skyrocket.  Just like El Duque.  Eventually the walks are going to burn them.

Which he hasn't done much of lately. Rip on the early version of Neal Cotts if you will, the one who after 4 appearances had 4 BB's and an ERA of 8.10. You cannot tell me that he's been bad after that surely. And like Keith has said already, Cotts >>> Walker, and who would replace Cotts as the long man anyways.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
The only reason I'm mad about this is because it's a waste of money.

And that's now 1.4-2.4 million that they've wasted -- IMO, of course, which is debatable.  And, when you have Jeff Baj, who's done just about everything he can do down at Charlotte, waiting in the wings, it's really a questionable move.  Well, Ozzie wanted a lefty -- a LOOGY?  Fine, Arnie Munoz can do the job better than Walker.  He's done a better job this year.

I don't see the point of calling Walker up.

I don't either, but maybe KW guaranteed him he would be up by June or something when he signed him. In any case, that's pretty stupid, because there's more deserving guys down in Charlotte than Walker, and they would probably be taking this pretty hard right now.

Which he hasn't done much of lately. Rip on the early version of Neal Cotts if you will, the one who after 4 appearances had 4 BB's and an ERA of 8.10. You cannot tell me that he's been bad after that surely. And like Keith has said already, Cotts >>> Walker, and who would replace Cotts as the long man anyways.

We shall see. Afterall, he's only pitched 9 innings. I think it's far too early to look at his trends through 9 innings pitched. I look at Cotts' full season last year for his BB/K trend.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
We shall see.  Afterall, he's only pitched 9 innings.  I think it's far too early to look at his trends through 9 innings pitched.  I look at Cotts' full season last year for his strikeout-to-walks trend.

Neal is always going to walk guys. Afterall, in the minors, he walked about five guys per nine.

But he's always been able to fool hitters and strikeout hitters. Over 11 per nine. Which is (somewhat) able to negate his erratic control.

Walks or no walks, he's better than anything we have at Charlotte.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 8, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
Neal Cotts of the 3.something-something ERA?  That Neal Cotts?

I'm mad 'cause it's a waste of money.  There's no point in bringing up Walker over Baj, when Walker can't even gets lefties out.

Why do you care about the money?

It's not like this move will cost us from making a major move like the guy in my sig.

How is it you know that the left handed Walker can't get major league hitters out?

What makes you think Bajenaru will be better at getting major league hitters out, his minor league numbers?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 8, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
Neal is always going to walk guys.  Afterall, in the minors, he walked about five guys per nine.

But he's always been able to fool hitters and strikeout hitters.  Over 11 per nine.  Which is (somewhat) able to negate his erratic control.

Walks or no walks, he's better than anything we have at Charlotte.

I've stated this before about Neal, the guy needs to start his own inning. The first hitter he faces he always has trouble throwing strikes, after that first hitter he's absolutely lights out.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 8, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Does anyone else remember Bajenaru's brief stint for us last year?  It was ugly.

It wasn't ugly at all. His era was high but nothing was hit hard, Baj knows how to pitch, period. I just think it's dumb period to bring up another reliever we can't find enough innings as it is for these guys.

It wasn't ugly at all.  His era was high but nothing was hit hard, Baj knows how to pitch, period.  I just think it's dumb period to bring up another reliever we can't find enough innings as it is for these guys.

6 walks, 15 hits, and 10 earned runs in 8.1 innings pitched must just be bad luck, right? :headshake

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 8, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
It wasn't ugly at all.  His era was high but nothing was hit hard, Baj knows how to pitch, period.  I just think it's dumb period to bring up another reliever we can't find enough innings as it is for these guys.

What are you talking about? I think he gave up about 2 hits per inning pitched. He also walked almost 1 batter per inning. He was terrible. And this was after posting a sub-2 ERA in Charlotte, so don't let this year's stats fool you.

At least Walker has about 100 innings of MLB experience. I think he's a better option than Baj.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 8, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
6 walks, 15 hits, and 10 earned runs in 8.1 innings pitched is just dumb luck? :headshake

Unbelievable, honestly. Just throw f***in stats out there without watching the damn game. Baj was not hit hard at all and yes he was getting unlucky as hell, there were tons of seeing eye singles and little duck snorts.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
Yah but Kevin Walker has never posted here!

I could care less if Baj posts here or not. That's a non-issue.

And yes, I'm looking at minor league numbers. What else am I supposed to look at? Am I supposed to believe that Baj, who's put up a sub-2 ERA for a good portion of the time at a small ballpark at Charlotte, is dumb luck, and he's going to forget everything and just fall apart with the Sox?

Are minor league stats the end-all, be-all? No, certainly not. But I want to see more than 8 IP in the majors before I make a good judgement on him...

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 8, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
Based on what?  Minor league numbers?

No, little league numbers?

Yes, the league that both of them currently pitch in.

If Pitcher A pitches better than Pitcher B which one would you rather have?

Unbelievable, honestly.  Just throw f***in stats out there without watching the damn game.  Baj was not hit hard at all and yes he was getting unlucky as hell, there were tons of seeing eye singles and little duck snorts.

Getting strikeouts and not walking guys would be a good way to avoid those things.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
6 walks, 15 hits, and 10 earned runs in 8.1 innings pitched must just be bad luck, right? :headshake

That's the thing. Judging a player on 8 IP is really pathetic.

Pretty funny, actually.