Kevin Walker & Harris recalled; Lopez, Burke down

whitesoxin'

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also suspect that the longer you keep this thread going along the bigger chance you have of getting flamed by someone who finally gets tired of reading you. Just some food for thought.

Rex and Alex can probably tell us again about Wunsch's lack of velocity last season or something like that, and that's why he was down in Charlotte.

Who were some good free agent LOOGY lefties that we could have signed last season, instead of Shoe, if someone wants to post a list.

And on Marte's struggles, it's mighty early in the year to trash a guy who has been our best reliever over the past few years.  Don't sit here and give us stats ala Juggernaut.  The bottom line is Marte is a go to guy out of the pen and a month where he struggles will not prove otherwise.

I never trashed Marte. I said he has been shaky so far this season and he has been. He is still great and I wouldn't give him up for anything, especially because of his ridiculously cheap contract.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
I never trashed Marte.  I said he has been shaky so far this season and he has been.  He is still great and I wouldn't give him up for anything, especially because of his ridiculously cheap contract.

I think most people would just say you can't put shaky and great in the same sentence, it'd be one or the other.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:01 AM)
Rex and Alex can probably tell us again about Wunsch's lack of velocity last season or something like that, and that's why he was down in Charlotte.

Who were some good free agent LOOGY lefties that we could have signed last season, instead of Shoe, if someone wants to post a list.

There was something between Kelly and KW, although it never really came out. I asked KW why Wunsch never came back up this year at Soxfest. KW said Cotts was better, which I kind of agree with to a point because Cotts is a lot more versatile than Wunsch.

I remember being down on the field last year before a Charlotte game talking to Kelly and he didn't seem too happy that he wasn't with the big club. The times I saw him pitch he appeared to be fine and now he's on LA so apparently he has something left.

Edited by aboz56

The funny part is we are 24-7 and you are wondering why we didn't keep Kelly Wunsch.

I guess its true that some Sox fans are never happy.

Believe me, I AM happy. That doesn't mean I can't have opinions on some of the players on the Sox roster though.

But seriously, didn't Kenny have some sort of grudge against Wunsch for some reason? I forget.

EDIT: Okay, thanks.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 9, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
But seriously, didn't Kenny have some sort of grudge against Wunsch for some reason?  I forget.

EDIT:  Okay, thanks.

lots of people on this board will deny it. I think their was something to it though.

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 9, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
lots of people on this board will deny it. I think their was something to it though.

If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Wunsch the Sox union player rep one year?

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)

Of course there was.

Just from talking to Wunsch I got the sense that he felt he was getting a raw deal.

I think most people would just say you can't put shaky and great in the same sentence, it'd be one or the other.

Yes, you can. He has been great throughout his career but so far this season he has been pitching "in trouble" with runners that he put on base. That is what I would call "shaky" but he still gets the job done. Come on, the guy had to run to cover home on a wild pitch and tag a guy out to prevent a loss. Yesterday, he pitched "in trouble" as well. He gave up a walk and a double but he still got the job done.

Edited by Jabroni

Of course there was.

Just from talking to Wunsch I got the sense that he felt he was getting a raw deal.

Here's part of an article relating to the story...

"Before call-up, Wunsch was ready to move on"

http://static.highbeam.com/d/dailyheraldar...orts/index.html

CLEVELAND - Kelly Wunsch had a look of relief Wednesday when he reported to the White Sox.

After opening the season at Class AAA Charlotte on a rehabilitation assignment (sore left shoulder), Wunsch appeared to get the cold-shoulder treatment from the Sox.

Kenny Williams is usually tight-lipped when it comes to trade talk, but the White Sox general manager didn't mind publicizing his desire to move Wunsch and his $800,000 salary.

Before a trade could be made, Wunsch was recalled after starting pitcher Felix Diaz was optioned to Charlotte on Tuesday night. In 11 relief appearances at Triple-A, Wunsch was 1-0 with a 3.72 ERA.

Considering his future with the Sox was uncertain as recently as Monday, Wunsch was all for changing uniforms.

"My whole deal was ... if they weren't going to change, then it would make perfect logical sense for them to trade me, just like it made...

Edited by Jabroni

chicagosports.com has an article up now explaining The Walker move and many on here were correct. It is because of Tampa Bay's many lefty hitters. Once Gload is activated, Walker will be gone, IMO. :gosox1:

Thank you, thank you...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=674312

I think most of you guys are forgetting that Kevin Walker is going to be our LOOGy.  He is going to be called upon to get one lefty batter out.  I doubt he will be used for much more than that.  Bajenaru cannot be a LOOGy because he is a righty.

By the way, take a look at the Devil Rays' lineup.  Their whole outfield is composed of lefty bats -- Aubrey Huff, Carl Crawford, and Alex Sanchez.  Maybe that has something to do with this move.

:lol:

And here's the article...

"Staff armed, ready for looming left-handed bats"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

TORONTO -- The White Sox will carry 12 pitchers for the first time this season as insurance against a series of teams stacked with left-handed hitters.

They will promote left-handed reliever Kevin Walker from Triple-A Charlotte before Monday's game with Tampa Bay. Walker, one of the final cuts in spring training, has a 6.00 ERA in 13 games for the Knights but has 16 strikeouts in 12 innings.

Tampa Bay's lineup includes left-handed-hitting speedster Carl Crawford and Aubrey Huff. The Sox also will face left-handed hitters Rafael Palmeiro, Brian Roberts and Larry Bigbie of Baltimore and Hank Blalock, Mark Teixeira and David Dellucci of Texas in subsequent series.

Walker will join fellow left-handers Damaso Marte, who pitched two-thirds of an inning to earn the save in Sunday's 5-4 win, and Neal Cotts, who has pitched only twice since April 24.

To make room for Walker, the Sox will designate catcher-infielder Jamie Burke for assignment. Burke played in only one game after getting promoted from Charlotte on Tuesday.

Edited by Jabroni

Here's Walker's stats against lefties this year:

vs. Lefties

PITCHER ERA IP H R ER HR HB BB SO WP AVG

Walker, Kevin - 1.50 6.0 3 1 1 1 0 3 11 0 .150

If I would've known that I probably wouldn't have created a fuss. Don't let him get near a righty I suppose.

I'll live with this. I guess I'd just feel more comfortable with someone who is getting everyone out, not just lefties.

QUOTE(TLAK @ May 9, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
Anybody think Burke end up with the Blue Jays?

With him Burke being designated for assignment, how exactly does that work? Is he exposed to waivers first? Or does he have to refuse the assignment before he can go somewhere else?

Guest JimH
With him Burke being designated for assignment, how exactly does that work?  Is he exposed to waivers first?  Or does he have to refuse the assignment before he can go somewhere else?

I think the White Sox will work something out w/Burke and do their best to keep him in the organization. One paper said he'd likely stay with the org. and another paper said he will likely explore his options with another org.

The way I understand it, designated for assignment means the Sox have 10 days to trade or release him outright.

I think he has to go thru waivers again but I'm not certain on that because he went thru waivers just before the season. My guess is that he does have to clear waivers for the Sox to assign him to Charlotte.

At that point, Burke can accept the assignment or choose to become a free agent, which is the exact scenario he went thru before (as did Ben Davis). The White Sox and Jamie Burke seem to have a very good relationship though, so it wouldn't surprise me if something got worked out and he's back in Charlotte.

But certainly if another team wants to give him a shot (Toronto), the White Sox wouldn't stand in his way and Burke would likely jump at the chance to stay in the big leagues.

Long story short ... don't hold me to any of this!! :bang

QUOTE(JimH @ May 9, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I think the White Sox will work something out w/Burke and do their best to keep him in the organization.  One paper said he'd likely stay with the org. and another paper said he will likely explore his options with another org.

The way I understand it, designated for assignment means the Sox have 10 days to trade or release him outright.

I think he has to go thru waivers again but I'm not certain on that because he went thru waivers just before the season.  My guess is that he does have to clear waivers for the Sox to assign him to Charlotte.

At that point, Burke can accept the assignment or choose to become a free agent, which is the exact scenario he went thru before (as did Ben Davis).  The White Sox and Jamie Burke seem to have a very good relationship though, so it wouldn't surprise me if something got worked out and he's back in Charlotte.

But certainly if another team wants to give him a shot (Toronto), the White Sox wouldn't stand in his way and Burke would likely jump at the chance to stay in the big leagues.

Long story short ... don't hold me to any of this!! :bang

So to summerize...

blah, blah, blah... I'm not sure.

Thanks Jim :lol: :lolhitting