Kingdom Leads Limp Box Office

Yoda

kingdomofheaven_earlyposter.jpg

1.) Kingdom of Heaven $20,000,000

2.) House of Wax $12,205,000

3.) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy $9,129,000

4.) Crash $9,100,000

5.) The Interpreter $7,500,000

Summer blockbusters were once again missing in action as the North American box office continued its slump with less-than-stellar openings for the big-budget epic Kingdom of Heaven and the horror remake House of Wax. The frame's other new release, the crime drama Crash, had a respectable debut in moderate release but overall the top ten dipped from last weekend's disappointing frame and delivered the worst first weekend of May in five years. Visit any multiplex and it felt more like April than May.

I saw Kingdom of Heaven today with my mom and sister for Mother's Day. It was a pretty enjoyable movie with a very intriguing story. But it also sufferered from being an ordinary movie when comparing it to other epics. I also believed that while appropriate for the story the movie sufferered from a lack of an antagonist, and the movie ended in somewhat of an unresolved, unsatisfying manner. Of course the real story of Jerusalem and Israel lacks resolve, so I guess it's appropriate.

7/10

Kudos to Edward Norton's secret performance! :headbang :lol:

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ May 8, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
I saw Kingdom of Heaven today with my mom and sister for Mother's Day.  It was a pretty enjoyable movie with a very intriguing story.  But it also sufferered from being an  ordinary movie when comparing it to other epics.  I also believed that while appropriate for the story the movie sufferered from a lack of an antagonist, and the movie ended in somewhat of an unresolved, unsatisfying manner.  Of course the real story of Jerusalem and Israel lacks resolve, so I guess it's appropriate.

7/10

Kudos to Edward Norton's secret performance! :headbang  :lol:

Edward Norton's character was far and away the best character in the movie... :cheers

Visually the movie was extremely impressive. The city of Jerusalem was very well recreated and the scenery was beautiful. The movie struggled with trying to be more symbolic than the actual story would allow. Orlando Bloom's character was perhaps the most forgettable lead in an epic war movie to date...I will have an easier time remembering Saladin, the King, and even the frenchman than I would Orlando Bloom. I'm kinda hoping the DVD will be better as it will include about an hour of scenes that didn't make the final cut for the theaters.