Drive DaimlerChrysler to Work...

HuskyCaucasian

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw115494_20050508.htm

Workers at two DaimlerChrysler AG's transmission plants had better allow more time to walk in from the parking lot if they drive Fords or General Motors vehicles.

A new policy that takes effect Monday designates about 80 percent of employee parking spaces for Chrysler vehicles only and forces workers to park much further away if they drive a car or truck made by a competing manufacturer.

In case employees forget, there is new blue lines painted on the parking lot and signs that declare "DaimlerChrysler Parking Only" and "DaimlerChrysler Vehicle Parking."

Workers have been told that non-Chrysler vehicles parked in the reserved areas will be towed to Indianapolis at a cost of $200, the Kokomo Tribune reported Sunday.

Chrysler spokesman Edward Saenz said most Chrysler plants across the country have similar parking policies, but he said he did not know exactly how many. Both transmission plants have ample parking, and the new policy does not apply to vehicles with handicap plates, he said.

"It is a management initiative, but we believe it has wide support from the employees," Saenz said. "It's a local decision."

The plants posted signs and painted the new lines about two weeks ago, he said. Employees began receiving warnings last week leading up to this week's enforcement.

Nine-year employee Bill Parks considers the new policy "a form of harassment." He drives a Pontiac, made by GM.

"I think we have other issues going on in the company besides where to park your vehicle," Parks said.

He is not disabled but has a back condition that occasionally flares up. He bought his Pontiac as a second vehicle because he didn't want to go into debt with two new Chrysler vehicles.

"I tried to find a good Dodge vehicle when I was buying this one, but I couldn't find one at the time," he said.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
Its better than the old days at the auto plants/steel mills where you would get tires slashed or have your windows smashed out if you drove a Toyota or Honda...

I still remember the "good-natured heckling" I got from my wife's friends when I went to Janesville, WI in my Ford to see her. Yikes.

( For the curious, there's a GM plant based in Janesville, and they take that s*** pretty seriously up there.... )