Jose Mesa

I know it's too early for this, BUT, did anyone happen to read an article in the paper which speculated on players KW might want to pick up later in the year. One of those suggestions was Jose Mesa. So far this year, 11 IP, 11 Save Ops. and 11 saves. I know he can be kinda strange and maybe a distraction, but he makes under 2 mil. (I think) and Pitt. is probably gonna unload him, if they stay out of contention. Can't have too many arms if you're serious about making a push. Thoughts??

I would be mildly shocked if we were to get Jose Mesa. Closers always are overpaid for at/around the trading deadline. Teams like the cubs are desperate for a closer and if they are at .500 in a realistic position to be the wildcard their vaunted farm system will single handedly drive up the price.

Personally, I think our bullpen in its entirety is as good as anyones in baseball. We do lack in a shutdown 'hes our guy' closer but does any other team have 4 or 5 guys in their pen whole hypothetically could close out a game?

Unless we were able to get Mesa for a bag of balls (aka Joe Borchard) I couldnt see this happening. If anything we will add a bat at the deadline..

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 9, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
Pittsburgh could be interested in Joe Borchard here, and I'm not kidding.

I completely agree...but i'm not sure we could pull a Borchard - Mesa swap straight up...

The market for a proven closer who has seemingly had a second rebirth has to have an asking price higher than that?!?!

Or am I wrong???

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 9, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
I completely agree...but i'm not sure we could pull a Borchard - Mesa swap straight up...

The market for a proven closer who has seemingly had a second rebirth has to have an asking price higher than that?!?!

Or am I wrong???

No way we wouldn't, Pittsburgh would probably want another prospect, or some young relief guys like Baj possibly.

Right now the market for closers is still iffy. Teams that need them like the Mets and Cubs would love to trade for one, but teams like Tampa who have Baez want a Kazmir for Zambrano like deal again.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 10, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
I would like the Sox to get Baez b4 Mesa but it would be insane to pay that kind of price for Baez. Mesa would have to be a lot cheaper to get than Baez....

And he will be. Baez is really a luxury for Tampa since he doesn't get a save chance that often at all (like 1 in 8 games IIRC), but they aren't going to give him up for the sake of giving him up.

QUOTE(trexer @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:07 AM)
We already have 3 proven closers on the team as it is.  There is no need to trade for another one.

I'd agree with this.

It would be a real luxury to deal for another closer, but I'd actually prefer a veteran long-relief/setup guy. When the Sox got Hermanson I thought he might be that guy, but he's doing so well in his role that you don't dare use him for anything else.

If you obtain Mesa, then IMO only closer option you can realistically move to long/setup is Vizcaino, and he's basically doing the 7th inning stuff now.

You can never have too many good arms.

That said, I don't see us getting him because there's just too many teams in the hunt for a closer.

I would love to get Rob Mackowiak though, Mackowiak and Mesa for Harris, Cotts, Perez, and Borchard/Adkins, ahhh it's great to daydream on a Monday morning.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ May 9, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
You can never have too many good arms.

Mesa is not a good pitcher.

He's pitching in a pressure-less situation, he can't strike anyone out (37 K's in 69 IP last season,) has a high WHIP, and he refused to go to any team if hw was traded last season.

Why would we want this guy? :huh:

If we go looking for a bullpen arm, it will be a lefty.

We're pretty balanced, I can't see us making many moves unless we're upgrading depth. You don't want to mess with this team's chemistry.

As of right now I wouldnt be focusing on another closer.....if the deadline was approaching I would be looking for another bat......our bullpen has been pretty solid and I dont think we need a 4th closer at this point......

QUOTE(trexer @ May 9, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
We already have 3 proven closers on the team as it is.  There is no need to trade for another one.

Exactly.

Plus Mesa is not known to do well in high profile, pressure situations. And please don't tell me being a closer for the Pirates qualifies as either.

Then again this is the "pay attention to me" White Sox (some fans, NOT players).

QUOTE(trexer @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:07 AM)

First off, we don't have 3 established closers. We have 3 established quality relievers. Marte has proven he will struggle in the 9th throughout his years with the Sox. Shingo has struggled somewhat this year, and Hermy is relatively new to the role. Let me state that they are all very good and I am very pleased with their performance thusfar, but do not assume that all will continue to perform at this rate. In no way do I want Mesa, but if Billy Wagner were to become available to the Sox then that's something KW needs to pursue. Of course, I would want a bat before Wagner, but if both were obtainable, then there is no reason to add Wagner in addition to a bat.