what are the best starts in MLB history?

This begs the question:

What constitues a start?

Does this "start" extend to the All-Star break? Does it end after a set amount of games, wins, or losses? At what point does a "start" turn into a regular season record?

...I suppose that's more than one question.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 9, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
This begs the question:

What constitues a start?

Does this "start" extend to the All-Star break?  Does it end after a set amount of games, wins, or losses?  At what point does a "start" turn into a regular season record?

I was just asking myself those questions...

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 9, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
This begs the question:

What constitues a start?

Does this "start" extend to the All-Star break?  Does it end after a set amount of games, wins, or losses?  At what point does a "start" turn into a regular season record?

I'd say all of April. I mean where do you draw the line?..after 35 games, after 65 games, after 85 games....I'm sure that 'record' changes with every few games played.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 9, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
This begs the question:

What constitues a start?

I'd say at this point you go with mile markers, 40 games, 50 games, All-Star break, and 100 games. After that you're in the stretch run and it doesn't matter.

Since we can't beat the 40 game mark('84 Tiggers 35-5) then the next would be the 50 game mark with the '28 Yanks at 40-10. We could match that by duplicating our last 19 games with 16-3.

I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves. That 1928 Yankee team had a killer lineup. We don't. I'm more interested in stretching the space between us & Minny then chasing these records.

We're 24-7 & they are 19-11. The difference is the H2H. I fully expect the power rankings to reflect that soon. Minny will be #2.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ May 9, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
i still like the fact that if the sox go even the rest of the way they have 96 wins....I think they can do at least that.

Actually if they go even they would go either 90-72 or 89-73 if they went one under or one over .500, as they are on an odd number of games played right now, FWIW.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
As of now the Twins hold the Wild Card and that's my goal for the Sox. Sure winning the division would be great, but getting in via the Wild Card would be just fine also. The last 2 World Series champs were Wild Card winners.

Uhm, make that the last 3.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 9, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
This begs the question:

What constitues a start?

Another question is...when is a slump not a slump and more a sign of flat being bad (ie the Yankees or even Cleveland).

QUOTE(BlizzardOfOzzie @ May 9, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Speaking of starts, didn't the 1987 Brewers start something ridiculous like 23-0 or something like that?  I think I recall something like that, although I know that team failed to make the playoffs.  Anybody recall?

1987 Brewers started 13-0.

Month by Month

Split W L RS RA WP

April 18 3 135 97 0.857

May 6 18 79 137 0.250

June 13 15 146 171 0.464

July 15 13 176 147 0.536

August 18 11 166 142 0.621

September 20 9 150 112 0.690

October 1 2 10 11 0.333

QUOTE(T R U @ May 10, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
Unless I missed someone we have the best start through 32 games since 1993... pretty good

it is pretty good, i dont get why some are negative towards the whole fact that we are starting so good, i hear some people saying we are going to fall apart, i dont think so