For all you Tech Geeks...

HuskyCaucasian

Sony, Toshiba to agree on new DVD format

Plan would resolve long battle over next-generation standards

Reuters

Updated: 5:46 p.m. ET May 9, 2005

SEATTLE - Japan's Sony Corp. and Toshiba Corp. are close to finalizing a plan to develop a common standard for next-generation DVDs to resolve a three-year-long battle over formats that threatened the industry's growth, a Japanese newspaper reported Monday.

A detailed plan could be unveiled ahead of a key meeting of manufacturers involved in the manufacture of next-generation DVDs scheduled for May 16, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun said.

Sony, along with Matsus***a Electric Industrial Co. Ltd., maker of Panasonic brand products, had been pushing for the standard it calls Blu-ray, while Toshiba, with NEC Corp. and Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd., has been promoting a technology called HD DVD.

Both sides have indicated that a new, unified format will use Sony's technology for recording information onto an optical disk while Toshiba will supply software that will handle efficient data transfer and copyright protection.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7794775/

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 9, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Is this BlueRay?

BluRay and HDDVD have basically merged formats. It was just a matter of time until it happened and it finally did. Otherwise there would of been some major compatability issues.

IT should be pretty badass and I guess its getting closer to being a reality.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 10, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
Best of all I'm pretty sure the new DVD players will be backwards compatible so people won't have to replace all there old DVD's.  They better be damn it.

That's been confirmed by the big players at the outset of BluRay development - units will have both a red and a blue lazer in them to ensure backward compatability.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
I hope this doesn't mean I have to go out and buy a new DVD player to play all the new DVDs I'll want to get...

If you have a High Def TV and want to buy High Def DVDs, then you will have to buy a new player.

If you are just fine with your standard def TV and DVDs, then you wont have to buy a new one.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
If you have a High Def TV and want to buy High Def DVDs, then you will have to buy a new player.

If you are just fine with your standard def TV and DVDs, then you wont have to buy a new one.

Does this mean we will start seeing DVD's come out in 2 different formats kinda like what they do with wide-screen and full-screen now?

Or will it be 4 different formats (including wide and full)???

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ May 11, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Does this mean we will start seeing DVD's come out in 2 different formats kinda like what they do with wide-screen and full-screen now?

THat has yet to be figured out., I read something a while back about High def DVDs that would have a layer dedicated to High Def and one for standard def. If that is the case, then it would be very easy to have one DVD for all, but I dont see that happening.

I think it will be much like how we transitioned from VHS to DVD. The two DVD formats will live side-by-side until High Def DVD players are cheap enough fro everone to afford, then regular DVDs will be phased out.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)

At the most it would be 3 formats because highdeft dvd's will be meant for widescreen tv's. Nearly all tv's made now are of the widescreen variety. They are still a few square ones for sale but its twindling, especially with HD getting more and more affordable.