Gamethread 5/10/05

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
If Hermanson is your closer, which I agree with, then Guillen held him in reserve for a possible closing situation.

I know what you're saying, but the manager holds the closer in reserve for a possible closing situation ... and we are crucifying that????

Isn't the bigger issue this:  Contreras is a wild card in terms of his control, Shingo is not the pitcher he was last year, they need to figure out this closer situation once and for all?

Note:  I think we all saw who the closer is.  It's Hermanson, seeing as he didn't pitch the 9th.  This is a May game vs. Tampa Bay, it's not the 5th game of a playoff series.

I am not crucifying that. I am saying in general i think it would be the smarter thing to do. A few managers do that and it seems to work out just fine.

I think we need to bring in a studly closer as do many others... and it doesn't have to be wagner because i think we will have to vastly over pay for his services considering he will not be brought back.

I also hope contreras some how puts together a pretty good season so that we can trade him off in the off-season.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
see my last post, don't call me warped.

Well warpage, I find it quite contradictory that you hate Politte yet want him in there in the 9th inning.

We agree they are working around Shingo. He needs to figure his s*** out like now, or they need to do something with him.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
I am not crucifying that. I am saying in general i think it would be the smarter thing to do. A few managers do that and it seems to work out just fine.

I think we need to bring in a studly closer as do many others... and it doesn't have to be wagner because i think we will have to vastly over pay for his services considering he will not be brought back.

I also hope contreras some how puts together a pretty good season so that we can trade him off in the off-season.

despite contraras tonight, the bullpen lost this game, same as last night.

QUOTE(quickman @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)

Two quick lead-off walks then a home run to their eight hole hitter? That plays into the loss as much as anything else in my opinion.

Guest JimH

It's obvious it needs to be Hermanson as the closer for now.

He has the guts for it and he knows how to get guys out. By the same token, he will f*** up now and again too. Plain and simple.

If White Sox pitching doesn't walk 9 guys tonite, this conversation is on the back burner.

The offense is sucking ass too ... how come no one is clamoring about Greg Walker?

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
Well warpage, I find it quite contradictory that you hate Politte yet want him in there in the 9th inning.

We agree they are working around Shingo.  He needs to figure his s*** out like now, or they need to do something with him.

they won't do s*** with him. he will be here all year, and pitch in games where we are up by three runs, whenever that is. What Ozzie really needs is viscaino to pitch. Then he has somethign, because Politte will lose his mind soon. If that happens and viscaino can't pitch, you really have no bullpen at all. The cracks are showing bigtime.

Guest JimH

Do not forget Konerko not throwing to home plate to easily nail a slow runner when it's 6-4.

Yes, the bullpen was not great and we all expected it would come back to earth. Lots of other things not clicking either.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)
So you think Everett should stay in the 3rd hole?  He hasn't hit a ball hard in the last week.

no fathom, a shakeup may be necassary but uribe is not a third place hitter. Our third place hitter is on the DL. Anyway,verett, konerko, dye and rowand are all interchangeable as third place hitters right now.Mix and match and wait for frank.

Even with Contreras being wild, he still put us in a position where we had a 2 run lead with 3 innings left. We've been winning all those games in that similar situation this year. In many of those games, we were a hit away from blowing the lead. Cantu came up with two clutch hits for Tampa tonight. I still can't get over that blown strike call on Green's 2-2 pitch. That was a huge factor in our loss tonight.

Guest JimH
they won't do s*** with him. he will be here all year, and pitch in games where we are up by three runs, whenever that is. What Ozzie really needs is viscaino to pitch. Then he has somethign, because Politte will lose his mind soon. If that happens and viscaino can't pitch, you really have no bullpen at all. The cracks are showing bigtime.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

We can play "what if" forever. You have a GM who won't sit still for underperforming very long, this is not Schueler.

Manuel was a guy who always played match ups, people hated him. Every other team in the league has bullpen issues, at least the White Sox have some depth.

If shingo is continually f***ing up, they will DL him ... as a start.

QUOTE(quickman @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
no fathom, a shakeup may be necassary but uribe is not a third place hitter. Our third place hitter is on the DL. Anyway,verett, konerko, dye and rowand are all interchangeable as third place hitters right now.Mix and match and wait for frank.

All four of the guys you mentioned have been awful lately. With Pods and Iguchi getting on base at a solid rate, why have 4 straight guys batting behind them who can't hit a ball hard to save their life? Don't forget that Uribe is also our best sac fly hitter. I don't see what we have to lose right now.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:17 AM)
Two quick lead-off walks then a home run to their eight hole hitter? That plays into the loss as much as anything else in my opinion.

last time I checked we were up 6-4 in the 7th. bullpen lost the game. Contraras didn't pitch well but he was out by the time we grabbed the lead.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
It's obvious it needs to be Hermanson as the closer for now.

He has the guts for it and he knows how to get guys out.  By the same token, he will f*** up now and again too.  Plain and simple.

If White Sox pitching doesn't walk 9 guys tonite, this conversation is on the back burner.

The offense is sucking ass too ... how come no one is clamoring about Greg Walker?

I have been b****ing about Greg for almost a year. He tinkers with people who are doing well. Last year Carlos Lee lifted his BA from 220 to over 300 with a nice short compact swing. He was hitting doubles like crazy driving in runs. Then the goofy press got all over him complaining why he doesnt hit a lot of homers, where is the power. Soon after his BA hits 300 he and Walker tinker with the swing. He proclaims success as he extends his hands for power. The power numbers jump. But now his strikeouts and his pop outs jump up. We get all over his case for swinging for the fences. Well that is what Walker changed. Its not entirely CLEE's fault.

Now Konerko has his hands up nice and high. This is not the same swing that he had last year.

Dye who has been a great high ball hitter is now dipping his back shoulder. Its got to be walker. Everyone who comes to the sox gets a long looping swing.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:22 AM)
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

We can play "what if" forever.  You have a GM who won't sit still for underperforming very long, this is not Schueler.

Manuel was a guy who always played match ups, people hated him.  Every other team in the league has bullpen issues, at least the White Sox have some depth.

If shingo is continually f***ing up, they will DL him ... as a start.

well I will break his arm if they need me too.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:24 AM)
They have been flat in these last two games, anyone want to hazard a guess why?

I don't think we were flat tonight. A lot of guys were making solid contact, and we just missed hitting out like 4 homers. We scored 6 runs against Tampa....that should be enough. Ozzie and the pitching staff are the culprits tonight.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 10, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
I don't think we were flat tonight.  A lot of guys were making solid contact, and we just missed hitting out like 4 homers.  We scored 6 runs against Tampa....that should be enough.  Ozzie and the pitching staff are the culprits tonight.

We hit a lot of warning track shots over the last three years.

Line drives win games. This is not a power hitting team anymore. Stop trying to jack homers.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:26 AM)
Team effort.  Konerko bad decision to not throw home.

stop this, bullpen needs to save bullpen gave up the runs to tie and the run that won the game. Bullpen lost it. sorry you won't convince me otherwise.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
We hit a lot of warning track shots over the last three years. 

Line drives win games.  This is not a power hitting team anymore.  Stop trying to jack homers.

That's the thing, it was a lot of line drives that carried out to the fence. Rowand, Crede, and Widger all put solid swings on the ball, only for it to not carry AT ALL.