Gamethread 5/10/05

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
A lot of guys were making solid contact.  We scored 6 runs against Tampa....that should be enough.  Ozzie and the pitching staff are the culprits tonight.

I agree but the clutch hitting is not there. They manufactured a few runs but left a few big runners out there too.

9 walks, poor location on pitches, at least one poor defensive decision.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
I agree but the clutch hitting is not there.  They manufactured a few runs but left a few big runners out there too.

Yeah, but Tampa also left a ton of runners on base also. When both teams do it, I don't feel as bad about it. The one thing that just irks me about tonight is that we had the game at a spot where we could use our best relievers to get 9 outs with a 2 run lead....and I just feel like Ozzie didn't put us in a good chance to succeed. However, we've talked about this all night, so no reason discussing it more. Thanks JimH for some actual good conversation tonight.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
I agree but the clutch hitting is not there.  They manufactured a few runs but left a few big runners out there too.

That's basically it. You can't walk 9 batters and expect to win. Contreras and Dookie and their walks are just maddening.

Guest JimH
stop this, bullpen needs to save bullpen gave up the runs to tie and the run that won the game. Bullpen lost it. sorry you won't convince me otherwise.

Can you not read the 15 times I have said 9 walks???????

Whoever was pitching gets a weak ground ball to 1st base with a slow runner on 3rd. Pitcher does his job, no? Konerko stupidly tries to get a double play on a fast runner (Singleton). One run scores. They lose by one run, every bad play - by every player - is magnified.

You are smarter than this, it was a f***ed up bullpen but when you lose by one there are lots of factors.

Guest JimH
That's basically it.  You can't walk 9 batters and expect to win.  Contreras and Dookie and their walks are just maddening.

And El Duque needs a big performance tomorrow afternoon.

We have Walker, Hermanson, Politte for sure in the bullpen. Definitely not Vizcaino, probably not Marte. Singo will be available.

You will see Walker and Politte tomorrow, unless Tampa totally beats themselves and gives in to El Duque and he goes 8 innings in 95 pitches. Not likely.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)

Whoever was pitching gets a weak ground ball to 1st base with a slow runner on 3rd.  Pitcher does his job, no?  Konerko stupidly tries to get a double play on a fast runner (Singleton).  One run scores.  They lose by one run, every bad play - by every player - is magnified.

You are smarter than this, it was a f***ed up bullpen but when you lose by one there are lots of factors.

there is always other factors jim, you can say that every game. Konerko may have contributed to one run but the bullpen failed. Bullpen needs to come in and protect a two run lead. If they give up one run they still protect the lead, they gave up three.

Guest JimH
no sammy for the first two games, ha, looks like people will have to come to the game and watch the sox bullpen fail.

Did they retro the DL stint so he might be available for Sat. and Sun.?

QUOTE(quickman @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
last time I checked we were up 6-4 in the 7th. bullpen lost the game. Contraras didn't pitch well but he was out by the time we grabbed the lead.

You cannot walk two in a row and then give a home run up to a teams 8 hole hitter. You have to put away those hitters expecially considering how good the devil rays have been hitting this year.

Guest JimH
there is always other factors jim, you can say that every game. Konerko may have contributed to one run but the bullpen failed. Bullpen needs to come in and protect a two run lead. If they give up one run they still protect the lead, they gave up three.

I guess we can say Marte did the job.

Cotts gave up the double, Vizcaino let them in, Shingo gave up the walk off.

I have a hard time with broad brush statements when there are large looming objects lurking right behind the curtain.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)

Whoever was pitching gets a weak ground ball to 1st base with a slow runner on 3rd.  Pitcher does his job, no?  Konerko stupidly tries to get a double play on a fast runner (Singleton).  One run scores.  They lose by one run, every bad play - by every player - is magnified.

contraras gave up 5 walks. After he left we had a two run lead. The bullpen gave up 4 more walks and an HR. You blame konerko..fine. If the bullpen didn't walk those guys it doens't matter.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:37 AM)
Did they retro the DL stint so he might be available for Sat. and Sun.?

sorry retro to may 5th he is out all series, just heard on the radio he wasn't going to make the first two. They are high just like you. care to watch the game somehwere tommorrow

Guest JimH
contraras gave up 5 walks. After he left we had a two run lead. The bullpen gave up 4 more walks and an HR. You blame konerko..fine. If the bullpen didn't walk those guys it doens't matter.

Please re-read.

I am not making generalizing statements.

I am saying there were several critical factors to this loss, the biggest of which was the performance of the bullpen. In your world, the relief pitcher gets a ground ball and the fielder makes a bad decision ... it's still the relief pitchers fault.

It's not as black and white as that, but we are arguing over how much milk was spilled. Fact is, it spilled.

Guest JimH
care to watch the game somehwere tommorrow

Are you high?

I do need to pick up those tickets at some point though. Have to pick up Aunt B at Midway, need to leave here by 1:00 latest.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
Please re-read.

I am not making generalizing statements.

I am saying there were several critical factors to this loss, the biggest of which was the performance of the bullpen.  In your world, the relief pitcher gets a ground ball and the fielder makes a bad decision ... it's still the relief pitchers fault.

It's not as black and white as that, but we are arguing over how much milk was spilled.  Fact is, it spilled.

I am not stupid, after Konerko makes that huge f***ing mistake which you pointed out we were still up 6-5. Now what. WHo gave up the other two runs. Was it the bullpen? I think it was. And yes I expect the bullpen to do whatever they can to hold the lead. That is what they are suppose to do. yes I think they failed. So everyone contributed to a loss. they always do but the bullpen has not been good lately, and I believe it will get worse before it gets better.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
There ya go.

That is all, over and out.

blow it out your ass,and don't take my snipets. Everyone contributes to every loss as well as every win. Bullpen blew it tonight. Go lose yourslef somewhere.

Guest JimH
blow it out your ass,and don't take my snipets. Everyone contributes to every loss as well as every win. Bullpen blew it tonight. Go lose yourslef somewhere.

I made my point, wish I was wrong so maybe you could learn to calm down a bit but I'm not wrong. This was the epitomy of a team loss.

I think we are over looking one mistake that was made before the game even started. Oz started Widger over AJ. AJ has got to be catching Contreras every single time out there. Contreras went back to depending on the forkball that quickly, and had 5 walks to show for it. I know it was because there was a lefty on the mound, and that Widger had a great hitting night, but Contreras doesn't seem to listen to anyone but AJ.

Guest JimH
I think we are over looking one mistake that was made before the game even started.  Oz started Widger over AJ.  AJ has got to be catching Contreras every single time out there.  Contreras went back to depending on the forkball that quickly, and had 5 walks to show for it.  I know it was because there was a lefty on the mound, and that Widger had a great hitting night, but Contreras doesn't seem to listen to anyone but AJ.

Good point Mike, although i don't know if anyone could have made a difference with Contreras last nite. He had a poor release point and Tampa hitters were patient. Let's compare that to the White Sox hitters last nite. There is a big difference there.