So....what did you think of Robin?

bjm676

Personally I enjoyed listening to him. He seemed more relaxed than Donn Pall. He got along well with his former teammate, DJ. Although there were times when DJ had to talk over him during some PBP. Overall, I think he did a good job. I don't think he'll have a future as a color man though. What do you guys think?

I only saw the first couple innings, but he was funny during the time I watched.

When Gooch hit that shot down the line, "I didn't know they played tennis in Japan."

And all his mentionings of the PTC last night were funny.

I still don't see what people have against Pall though, I thought he did really good.

I thought he did alright, but has he ever heard of a rising inflection of one's voice? Hes very monotone, and if your not careful you could be put to sleep listening to the smooth sounds of the Robin Ventura behind a microphone.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
I thought he did alright, but has he ever heard of a rising inflection of one's voice? Hes very monotone, and if your not careful you could be put to sleep listening to the smooth sounds of the Robin Ventura behind a microphone.

EXACTLY, it's not so much what Ventura and Pall say, it's how they say it. You'd think they'd get some coaching.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
EXACTLY, it's not so much what Ventura and Pall say, it's how they say it.  You'd think they'd get some coaching.

They were last minute fillins doing a favor for the Sox. Damn we are a critical bunch.

I think a good test, would be to hear Donn Pall or Robin Ventura do a game with Hawk. I know this will most likely never happen... but I feel Hawk would be better for them and would actually pull information out of them. I am not a DJ hater like many around here are, but I do feel he doesn't do a very good job of "driving the car."

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
EXACTLY, it's not so much what Ventura and Pall say, it's how they say it.  You'd think they'd get some coaching.

Yup, where Ventura was monotone, Pall sounded like a guy sitting in the stands talking baseball with one of his buddies. I guess we really shouldnt expect more from these guys as I dont believe they have any interest in making this a career and have simply decided to fill in for a few days. :huh

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 10, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Yup, where Ventura was monotone, Pall sounded like a guy sitting in the stands talking baseball with one of his buddies. I guess we really shouldnt expect more from these guys as I dont believe they have any interest in making this a career and have simply decided to fill in for a few days.  :huh

Pall sounds like a 105 year old man on his death bed.

With coaching, you'd be surprised how much some guys improve. Remember the 1st few times Magic Johnson had a mic in his face?

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
Didn't this just come up due to Hawk's detached retina surgery?

Robin mentioned it during his broadcast in ST, so I would say that Hawks surgery was known about then.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Robin mentioned it during his broadcast in ST, so I would say that Hawks surgery was known about then.

OK. Even with that. To have people expecting the guy to get coaching for a 3 day gig, when he doesn't have any apparent long term plans to try and make a career out of it, is asking a lot.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
OK. Even with that. To have people expecting the guy to get coaching for a 3 day gig, when he doesn't have any apparent long term plans to try and make a career out of it, is asking a lot.

Gotta gripe about something.. :lol:

Well then, if thats the case Ventura sucked he was boring!! :P

But the "uh ohhhhh" call on fly outs to the warning track are enough to make me want to :banghead

Edited by Chisoxrd5

They've all done just fine considering DJ is an amateur with a decent amount of experience, and then Robin and Pall are both amateurs with no experience. Whoever it was that said with Hawk and either of the subs it would've been better is right on. Hawk has the ability to make the broadcast sound like a simple, easygoing conversation, and it's fun to listen to.

DJ can't (or probably just doesn't have enough experience yet) to really do that. If you listen to DJ and Donn or Robin talk on a subject, it usually ends with DJ saying something along the lines of, "Yeah, that's a good point." or, "yeah, that's interesting." and while those statements are true and polite and there's nothing bad or wrong about them, they don't serve well to keep a conversation flowing.

Like I could do any better, LOL. :drink

It really doesn't matter, I still luuuuuv The Pope and Robin. :headbang

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
That's strange that they would have delayed that kind of surgery for over a month.

Why is that..?

It usually doesn't get worse.. and it doesn't hurt. I'm sure it was up to Hawk when to have the surgery.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 10, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
Why is that..?

It usually doesn't get worse.. and it doesn't hurt. I'm sure it was up to Hawk when to have the surgery.

I had the same surgery in Nov. A partial retinal detachment gets worse and worse and if left untreated will lead to blindness. The catch is that they have no way of telling how long your vision will be stable and usually don't want to gamble. When the Dr. told me I had one, they wanted to operate that same night and mine was not a severe one. I wanted to hold off on my surgery and he said 'you could literally wake up tomorrow and be blind in that eye.' They operated on me the following morning. For some reason, they must have thought Hawk's was not urgent. :huh

....but I digress.