Fast forward to the deadline...

beck72

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
The thing is, if the Sox win the World Series, or even make it there.  I would be willing to bet that their payroll would jump to at least $90 million, if not $100 million, based on a huge attendance jump, and season ticket jump.  And with the lack of guys that we need to resign, the money might be there to do it.  We are talking $15-25 million extra to sign basically Garland, Thomas and/or Konerko over and above the about $20 million they are making now.  All of the rest of the pieces of the puzzle are pretty much signed already.

Thanks Coach Wannstedt... :P

I agree with your earlier post in the aspect of IF we need a closer come the end of July, and we remain in the lead for the central or the wildcard, then all bets are off on who gets dealt. Billy Wagner would be a GREAT acquistion but to trade the farm for him is a steep price to pay, and better end with a trip at least to the ALCS.

I really hope the end result of a hopefullly positive season like this one is a boost in attendance and especially the season ticket base....

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
I disagree,Gio, Liotta, Sweeney, Fields, are also untouchable in my book.

Until another midseason approaches where Sox are near or atop of the division, and then this attitude changes. Again. In two years we'll be holding this same exact debate about "prospects being prospects" and "having to win now."

If Williams is intent on modeling an organizational philosophy in-line with Minnesota, you simply don't trade solid prospects for three month rentals. Any else ever in awe when Minnesota continually promotes prospects will instantly contribute to the team? Well, they tend to develop talent. And not trade them away every midseason to "push them over the top."

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 10, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
Who is that picture next to the Widger one?

Billy wagner, you are gonna hear about him alot on here the next couple months.

Fish you rowand.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Thanks Coach Wannstedt...  :P

I agree with your earlier post in the aspect of IF we need a closer come the end of July, and we remain in the lead for the central or the wildcard, then all bets are off on who gets dealt. Billy Wagner would be a GREAT acquistion but to trade the farm for him is a steep price to pay, and better end with a trip at least to the ALCS. 

Woah easy there. We are only discussing a hypothetical deal sending 1 top prospect from a position that we are strongest in and 1 B grade prospect. "Trade the farm" is a bit of an overstatement...

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Because Dye has performed well over the years, esp when healthy. By all accounts, he's healthy now. With the weather warming up, Dye's numbers will as well. Rowand, another CA guy like Dye, also has started slow in April and May. Playing in Chicago/ midwest in the spring may take getting used to.

Yeah cause Dye never played in the midwest :bang

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 10, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
Until another midseason approaches where Sox are near or atop of the division, and then this attitude changes. Again.  In two years we'll be holding this same exact debate about "prospects being prospects" and "having to win now."

If Williams is intent on modeling an organizational philosophy in-line with Minnesota, you simply don't trade solid prospects for three month rentals.  Any else ever in awe when Minnesota continually promotes prospects will instantly contribute to the team? Well, they tend to develop talent. And not trade them away every midseason to "push them over the top."

Minnesota also has shown they are a player or two away from getting to and winning a world series. They don't like to trade their minor league talent during the season and it probably has cost them

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Yeah cause Dye never played in the midwest :bang

that it may take a guy from a warmer climate some time to adjust to hitting in Chicago isn't so crazy. If Dye is hitting .200 come July in more ab's, then your points may be more valid. A month and half of baseball is too soon to judge a players' performance. Just like I'm not waiting for Garland to win the Cy young in May, we shouldn't look to cast Dye in the Jason Giambi scrap heap

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 11, 2005 -> 06:06 AM)
Minnesota also has shown they are a player or two away from getting to and winning a world series. They don't like to trade their minor league talent during the season and it probably has cost them

How much better would that franchise look if they hold sold the farm to get Randy Johnson for the playoffs? Sometimes you have to sieze the bull by the horns, especially if you aren't a big market team who can afford to wait a year.

How would Wagner have looked last night? Just sayin.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
How much better would that franchise look if they hold sold the farm to get Randy Johnson for the playoffs?  Sometimes you have to sieze the bull by the horns, especially if you aren't a big market team who can afford to wait a year.

How would Wagner have looked last night?  Just sayin.

If the sox had a guy like Wagner, Hermanson would have worked the 9th, possibly the 10th last night. With a closer, Hermanson would see more work, not less.

And getting a guy like Wagner wouldn't cost the sox their farm system. Just one top prospect. that does make a difference, if the Sox had to trade 2 or 3 top guys instead of only one.

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 11, 2005 -> 05:11 AM)
that it may take a guy from a warmer climate some time to adjust to hitting in Chicago isn't so crazy. If Dye is hitting .200 come July in more ab's, then your points may be more valid. A month and half of baseball is too soon to judge a players' performance. Just like I'm not waiting for Garland to win the Cy young in May, we shouldn't look to cast Dye in the Jason Giambi scrap heap

Dye's best years were in KC, which is in the midwest.

I dont need more months to evaluate Dye's performance, give me the lat 2 year to evaluate how effective he has been, or the last several to show his steady decline, whichever you like.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)

I dont need more months to evaluate Dye's performance, give me the lat 2 year to evaluate how effective he has been, or the last several to show his steady decline, whichever you like.

Despite the fact those 2 years were in a pitchers park.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)

You may not need more time to evaluate Dye. But the guy who makes the decisions is Ozzie. And he'll give him time to work through his slow start, like he has with Rowand, Crede and PK, as long as he doesn't have more brain cramps in the field. So you're stuck with Dye getting the majority of time in RF until at least the all star break

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 11, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
You may not need more time to evaluate Dye. But the guy who makes the decisions is Ozzie. And he'll give him time to work through his slow start, like he has with Rowand, Crede and PK, as long as he doesn't have more brain cramps in the field. So you're stuck with Dye getting the majority of time in RF until at least the all star break

Agreed, thats how its going to unfold, I would like to see someone get some starts out there to see if maybe there can be a little bit of improvement.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Agreed, thats how its going to unfold, I would like to see someone get some starts out there to see if maybe there can be a little bit of improvement.

The only guys who would see some time in RF are Timo and maybe Carl. The ceiling isn't very high for either of them there. Dye is more likely to turn it around then to have them hit better than .250 or play strong defense, respectively. Anderson would likely only see time if an injury would occur to one of the sox starting OFers.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ May 10, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
If this was 3 years ago yes. Wagner is getting up there in age and he's not worth Sweeney or Anderson. 

Wagner is 33 years old. His numbers through May 11:

14 IP

0.63 ERA

0.70 WHIP

.160 BAA

He's a Top 5 closer for sure, and IMO Top 3 along with Nathan and Gagne.

He isn't worth Sweeney or Anderson? Yeah, right.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 11, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Wagner is 33 years old.  His numbers through May 11:

14 IP

0.63 ERA

0.70 WHIP

.160 BAA

He's a Top 5 closer for sure, and IMO Top 3 along with Nathan and Gagne.

He isn't worth Sweeney or Anderson?  Yeah, right.

Having a Top closer is overrated

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 11, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
The Rockies are hitting .300 as a team.

You don't think Coors has anything to do with that?  What are they, the greatest hitting team of the last half century?

:huh

ehem, actually its .276, and they are 5th.

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Having a Top closer is overrated

it can still make all the difference. for example, you think we would have lost last night if we had Billy Wagner firing 99 MPH fastballs to Jorge Cantu instead of Shingo's high 80's fastballs? what about earlier this season vs. Cleveland, when Shingo gave up 3 9th inning homeruns? it would have been infinitely more difficult for Ronnie Belliard to turn on a Wagner fastball.