RF options

RockRaines

I was just thinking about this as we were talking about who to trade for at the deadline.

I think one of our major problems right now is Dye in RF. He has been a defensive liability and cannot seem to get hits at the right time. Would you rather keep him there, bring someone off the bench, bring up Anderson, or trade?

I for one would like to see what Anderson can do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you bring up Anderson he has to be the starter... I would hate to take ABs away from him that he would get in the minors just to ride the pine...I would bet they would move Everett or Timo to RF if Dye continues to struggle but I expect Ozzie to ride Dye as long as possible...

Edited by EvilJester99

Guest JimH

I can understand being a little frustrated with Dye, I am too.

But it's not even halfway thru May, we are 24 and whatever, and Dye is a proven major league veteran.

Why start the major league service time clock with Brian Anderson until it's necessary to do so? Also, he's been striking out a lot in Charlotte, 33 times in 105 at bats, something like that. He clearly has things to work on at the plate.

Guillen talked today about how important chemistry is to this team. Yanking out a veteran and replacing him with a rookie when your team has had an awesome start, I think that might negatively affect the chemistry, don't you?

Again, I understand some frustration with Dye but a bigger picture view is in order.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
I can understand being a little frustrated with Dye, I am too.

But it's not even halfway thru May, we are 24 and whatever, and Dye is a proven major league veteran.

Why start the major league service time clock with Brian Anderson until it's necessary to do so?  Also, he's been striking out a lot in Charlotte, 33 times in 105 at bats, something like that.  He clearly has things to work on at the plate.

Guillen talked today about how important chemistry is to this team.  Yanking out a veteran and replacing him with a rookie when your team has had an awesome start, I think that might negatively affect the chemistry, don't you?

Again, I understand some frustration with Dye but a bigger picture view is in order.

No doubt about it. Plus when Frank gets back we have another bat we have to find room for, so we might see Carl out there too.

And in a pennant race, you don't yank a vet to start a brand-new rookie to see if he can do the job. At least not this early in the year.

Guest JimH

The good news is, Brian Anderson is a phone call away in an emergency where the White Sox are forced to see what he can do.

Barring a September call up, that is the only way Anderson will play for the White Sox this year ... if there's an emergency or a couple of longer term injuries.

That said, the error by Dye last nite was very boneheaded ... as was his at bat late in the game. It's very fair to say he needs to get it into gear. But to say he is done or he has lost it ... that's a big jump to conclusions IMO.

When Frank Gets back, we're going to have the added luxury of another potential outfielder in Everett.

I know people aren't high on Carl's defense, but Dye has already hurt us repeatedly this season with Errors. He can't be that much of a downgrade, especially given how poorly Dye is hitting right now.

My advice is to not make any Rash moves and expect that we'll be able to fill holes even better when the big man returns. My advice on Anderson is to hold him at AAA until he's absolutely needed; either due to an injury or because 2006 has started.

And I am ardently opposed to trading Anderson this year, as well as he is playing, no matter who we get back for him.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
The good news is, Brian Anderson is a phone call away in an emergency where the White Sox are forced to see what he can do.

Barring a September call up, that is the only way Anderson will play for the White Sox this year ... if there's an emergency or a couple of longer term injuries.

That said, the error by Dye last nite was very boneheaded ... as was his at bat late in the game.  It's very fair to say he needs to get it into gear.  But to say he is done or he has lost it ... that's a big jump to conclusions IMO.

How has his product been the last few years though? His only really good season was in KC a while back. The chemistry of the team is one thing, I think adding a hungry rookie to a team of hungry players can only add some fire, not take away from it.

I would trade Dye + mid level prospect to the Reds for Ken Griffey Jr at the trade deadline.

Rowand moves to RF and platoons with Carl depending on match ups in the playoffs. Griffey plays CF and adds another solid LH bat for the playoffs. He started out slow but he has really started hitting well in May and is currently at 0.269 avg, 3 HR, 15 RBI and 0.350 OBP. I expect him to only get better with time in fact.

Imagine a line up as follows for the playoffs:

Pods LF

Gooch 2B

Frank DH

Griffey CF

Kong 1B

Carl RF (Rowand against lefties & to pinch hit late in games for a LH reliever)

Uribe SS

AJ C

Crede 3B

Edited by sox-r-us

IMO, we should wait until the ASB. The good thing is that we have deep pitching, hitting in the trade deadline we can find a bunch of RF, 3B etc. And we will still have to see how the line-up will work out with Frank coming back...he will have a huge impact on our offense, if he is healthy.

Guest JimH
How has his product been the last few years though?  His only really good season was in KC a while back.  The chemistry of the team is one thing, I think adding a hungry rookie to a team of hungry players can only add some fire, not take away from it.

I don't think either Guillen or KW agree with you, especially since they signed Dye to a 2 year deal plus an option year.

Dye's 2004 was decent, certainly not great, but he's got a better track record than a rookie.

Nothing against Brian Anderson, many on this site know I like him and his potential. What you're suggesting though, is not how Guillen and KW operate, they show a great deal of confidence in their players and give them a chance to work through the tough times. I can safely say that if a solid, proven veteran is yanked after one month for a rookie ... this will have an adverse effect on the morale of other veterans.

Personally I believe Dye has already had his career year (2000 - KC) but I also believe he will be a key cog in whatever success this team experiences down the line. As will Carl Everett, whom many on this site chalked up to less than worthless this past offseason.

But I do agree, Dye needs to step it up.

Guest JimH
I would trade Dye + mid level prospect to the Reds for Ken Griffey Jr at the trade deadline.

Rowand moves to RF and platoons with Carl depending on match ups in the playoffs. Griffey plays CF and adds another solid LH bat for the playoffs. He started out slow but he has really started hitting well in May and is currently at 0.269 avg, 3 HR, 15 RBI and 0.350 OBP. I expect him to only get better with time in fact.

Griffey in CF? Stop yourself. Talk about an injury waiting to happen. Also have you looked at his contract, it's huge.

This thread is goofy.

The team is off to a fantastic start, there are a few veterans performing below expectations and people want to hurry up and launch them. That's knee jerk reactionary stuff.

Guillen just said - this morning - to not expect any trade for a "superstar", that chemistry is very, very important. So here we are speculating about Ken Griffey Jr., it doesn't make sense.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
I don't think either Guillen or KW agree with you, especially since they signed Dye to a 2 year deal plus an option year.

Dye's 2004 was decent, certainly not great, but he's got a better track record than a rookie.

Nothing against Brian Anderson, many on this site know I like him and his potential.  What you're suggesting though, is not how Guillen and KW operate, they show a great deal of confidence in their players and give them a chance to work through the tough times.  I can safely say that if a solid, proven veteran is yanked after one month for a rookie ... this will have an adverse effect on the morale of other veterans.

Personally I believe Dye has already had his career year (2000 - KC) but I also believe he will be a key cog in whatever success this team experiences down the line.  As will Carl Everett, whom many on this site chalked up to less than worthless this past offseason.

But I do agree, Dye needs to step it up.

Well said. I too think Dye will come around. Anderson won't come near Chi, unless an injury happens or as a Sept. callup

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)

You do know how much is left on his contract right? Also you have to remember when this guy sneezes he is out for a month.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
You do know how much is left on his contract right? Also you have to remember when this guy sneezes he is out for a month.

C'mon usually hes at least jogging when he goes down with a career threatening injury...give him some credit!!

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
That said, the error by Dye last nite was very boneheaded ... as was his at bat late in the game. 

Totally agree. That was a horribly unagressive swing on I believe a 3-1 pitch.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
When Frank Gets back, we're going to have the added luxury of another potential outfielder in Everett.

I know people aren't high on Carl's defense, but Dye has already hurt us repeatedly this season with Errors.  He can't be that much of a downgrade, especially given how poorly Dye is hitting right now.

My advice is to not make any Rash moves and expect that we'll be able to fill holes even better when the big man returns.  My advice on Anderson is to hold him at AAA until he's absolutely needed; either due to an injury or because 2006 has started.

And I am ardently opposed to trading Anderson this year, as well as he is playing, no matter who we get back for him.

I really, really, REALLY don't want to see Carl in RF. He is absolutely atrocious in the outfield these days. How can we say we're building around defense and pitching while having one of the absolute worst OFers in baseball playing RF? I don't want to see Anderson called up either. He's doing alright in AAA, not well enough to justify a starting spot on a team that is looking to win big this season.

If Dye is still struggling at the break, KW will have to move outside the organization and bring someone in via trade. KW seems to be a pretty good judge of character, as are Ozzie and the various veterans on our team. I think that a solid acquisition can be made without disrupting the chemistry too much.

We're winning. The record looks great. Personally, with our current offensive #s we will not beat the twins for the division crown. Our starters are going to come back to earth a bit, which we're already starting to see. I think we'll still have one of the best staffs in the ML, but the offense currently has too many holes, or just one if you wanna just say the middle of the order is a hole. We can't count on Frank coming back as a savior after witnessing his so-so return in 2003 (?) after a major injury. KW is not the type to sit around and think we're good enough, he's going to be looking to improve. I honestly believe, whether he's driven by arrogance or a true love for this franchise, Kenny wants to win more than any of us could possibly imagine. Bringing up Brian Anderson or platooning Crazy Carl and Timo Perez in RF does not pass as an improvement. I've got faith in Kenny to do what's necessary.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 10, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)

Imagine a line up as follows for the playoffs:

Pods LF

Gooch 2B

Frank DH

Griffey CF

Kong 1B

Carl RF (Rowand against lefties & to pinch hit late in games for a LH reliever)

Uribe SS

AJ C

Crede 3B

keep in mind we are going for small ball, but i like the griffey idea because im a huge fan of him

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 10, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
I just have to laugh at the Griffey trade idea.  Do you have any idea what his contract looks like?

Ya, that won't ever happen. Plus if he did come here, he'd be injured in the first week.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 10, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
I just have to laugh at the Griffey trade idea.  Do you have any idea what his contract looks like?

yeah he is asking for a lot of money, it wont happen, plus griffey wouldnt look right in a white sox jersey, i prefer a good backup outfielder instead

I assumed Kenny would force Cincy to pick up quite a bit of Griffey's contract

Teams have done that in the past while trading with Kenny, so it is possible

Just look at what happened with the Arod contract. The Rangers picked up a huge amount of the contract, and considering how much better ARod is to Griffey, this is possible. ANd the Sox will not have to pay much in terms of salary or prospects fro Griffey.

Griffey's value is at a all time low with the injury + contract issues. It is a huge roll of dice but something that could turn out very well IMHO.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 10, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
I assumed Kenny would force Cincy to pick up quite a bit of Griffey's contract

Teams have done that in the past while trading with Kenny, so it is possible

Just look at what happened with the Arod contract. The Rangers picked up a huge amount of the contract, and considering how much better ARod is to Griffey, this is possible. ANd the Sox will not have to pay much in terms of salary or prospects fro Griffey.

Griffey's value is at a all time low with the injury + contract issues. It is a huge roll of dice but something that could turn out very well IMHO.

The reds are not the rangers or the yankees. They are not gonna eat much of his contract if anything at all. His contract is f***ing huge and there is no reason to bring an injury riddled player in here.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 10, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
yeah he is asking for a lot of money, it wont happen, plus griffey wouldnt look right in a white sox jersey, i prefer a good backup outfielder instead

:huh: Griffey isn't asking for any money other than what the Reds agreed to pay him.