May be old news, but heard this on pregame

bjm676

Don't know the full story, but as I was listening on the train on my way home. Bruuuuuce Levine mentioned that the umps during the Oakland series will have disciplinary action handed down due to their action in the series. Apparently, KW or someone on the Sox sent a letter to MLB. Also, Ozzie and Crede were handed fines.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ May 10, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
Don't know the full story, but as I was listening on the train on my way home.  Bruuuuuce Levine mentioned that the umps during the Oakland series will have disciplinary action handed down due to their action in the series.  Apparently, KW or someone on the Sox sent a letter to MLB. Also, Ozzie and Crede were handed fines.

I can deal with that, as long as our guys did something about it.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ May 10, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
Don't know the full story, but as I was listening on the train on my way home.  Bruuuuuce Levine mentioned that the umps during the Oakland series will have disciplinary action handed down due to their action in the series.  Apparently, KW or someone on the Sox sent a letter to MLB. Also, Ozzie and Crede were handed fines.

Did they say what specific action made them get sanctioned or whatever?

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ May 10, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Did they say what specific action made them get sanctioned or whatever?

There will be no reports about the specifics. MLB and the Umpires Union does not disclose such actions. That Bruce Levine actually has a reliable source to confirm this should come as a surprise.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ May 10, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)

WTF did Crede get a fine for? For popping up? Jesus Christ he would owe MLB money after they took his whole paycheck. MLB is a joke.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
WTF did Crede get a fine for?  For popping up?  Jesus Christ he would owe MLB money after they took his whole paycheck.  MLB is a joke.

I think it was for throwing the bat, because Hawk said somethin about a fine right after he threw it.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 10, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
Do you think this will end up burning the Sox even worse in the future?  When we see that ump crew again.

i would think mlb would be watching those games real closely.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
Yeah, there's no way that an ump crew could get away with screwing us over consistently.

In fact, they might be more inclined to rule in our favor if in doubt about a particular play to make sure they aren't called on the carpet again.

This hurts that crews chances of being picked for post season games. That's where they earn big bonus money. It won't hurt the White Sox because they risk messing up that opportunity for 2006 if their names come up again like this.

If I'm not mistaken in the new contract with the umps league evaluations play a much bigger role now in terms of money & post season action. They evaluate them both on calling the strike zone & questionable calls.