Glover

BrandoFan

Is it finally ok to say that KW stole him and that despite being only 25 Gary is finally settling in as an important piece of the Sox puzzle? As long as they stop pretending that this guy is a starting material, that is

In any case, back in 2001 Gary Glover threw 92-95 with wicked curve and a solid slider. He throws slower now, but his control seems to be improving. Couple more years and this guy could be really good.

Is it finally ok to say that KW stole him and that despite being only 25 Gary is finally settling in as an important piece of the Sox puzzle?  As long as they stop pretending that this guy is a starting material, that is

In any case, back in 2001 Gary Glover threw 92-95 with wicked curve and a solid slider.  He throws slower now, but his control seems to be improving.  Couple more years and this guy could be really good.

EH, hes an average pitcher. Put your dick away.....

He'll be replaced in 1-2 years.

2 years is a long time nowdays, lol

With Koch only being signed through 2003 and Gordon and White FA after this year, Marte and Wunsht are the only two BP pichers right now that I can envision staying with the Sox in 2005. You think Ring, Ginter, Almonte, Majewski, Kane, etc are all ready to step in and post ERA's 3.50 and lower? Glover is cheap, healthy enough to go 2+ innings, semi-experienced, has 3.00 or lower ERA as a reliever while with the Sox and is Kenny's very first trade as a GM. Chances are his job is more or less safe.

The only thing "average" about Glover is his control which is improving. His stuff is definately above average.

I like Glover quite a bit and I don't think his velocity is down. When he's out of the pen he's been throwing around 93 or so from what I've noticed.

He's got really good movement and a good curve and now a changeup. He's just fine and I think he'll be with the Sox for a long time.

What is wrong with giving Gary some props out of the pen?

Do you think people like bmr actually bother with 'pen'/'non-pen' splits before posting? All they do is pull up the overall ERA (which BTW is still lower than what Garland and K.Wells posted in their first 200 innings) if that...Plus considering how much Sox underachieved in 2001-2002 as a team, I don't blame them for automatically associating 'Glover' with 'suckitude'.

In the time that he has been pithing out of our pen the last two years he has an ERA of around ONE! Who has been better?

One?! Are you serious? I thought it was like 2.80 which is excellent in its own right...wow. I know we tried him as a starter out of desperation...but stupidity is still stupididty at the end of the day. Sox could have seriously stunted his growth or gotten him hurt. He belongs in the pen, where he should work out his command and perfect the release point, while increasing velocity.

Does anyone remember his first 10 innings with the Sox? He didn't have a change-up then, but he routinely touched 94-95 mph with movement and with a sharp breaking curve and a slider he help opposing hitters to like 1 hit in 10 innings before running into mechanical problems that Nardi didn't fix...sounds familiar?

In any case, KW got him for nothing, and unless you think Ginter and Gary Majewski can do better in the pen, some props should be given.

His era as a starter last year was 5.97.

Guess what, it's still lower than either Kip Wells's or John Garland's was in the magical 2000.

Glover has a similar arm and just as good a stuff IMO. If Pittsburgh was able to increase Kip's velocity from 92 to 94-97 in two months, they could do wonder for Gary, lol

As a reliever it was 1.21 in 22 innings which covered 19 games out of the pen or about 1/3 of a season. This year he has an era of 0.87. That works out to about an era of about one in about half a season's worth of outings.

Incredible really. While it goes without saying that Marte was a steal, Glover may become just as good and he is 2 years younger if I am not mistaken. Also just as cheap.

Is it finally ok to say that KW stole him and that despite being only 25 Gary is finally settling in as an important piece of the Sox puzzle?  As long as they stop pretending that this guy is a starting material, that is

In any case, back in 2001 Gary Glover threw 92-95 with wicked curve and a solid slider.  He throws slower now, but his control seems to be improving.  Couple more years and this guy could be really good.

kw stole him???...have you seen what scott eyre has done in san francisco???...both down the stretch last year and this year???...he is in damaso marte's role as the number 1 lefty for them..eyre had a 1.59 era down the stretch last year for the giants and this year has a 2.45 era with a save and 4 holds...

right now eyre is still the better pitcher

What is wrong with giving Gary some props out of the pen?

Do you think people like bmr actually bother with 'pen'/'non-pen' splits before posting? All they do is pull up the overall ERA (which BTW is still lower than what Garland and K.Wells posted in their first 200 innings) if that...Plus considering how much Sox underachieved in 2001-2002 as a team, I don't blame them for automatically associating 'Glover' with 'suckitude'.

In the time that he has been pithing out of our pen the last two years he has an ERA of around ONE! Who has been better?

One?! Are you serious? I thought it was like 2.80 which is excellent in its own right...wow. I know we tried him as a starter out of desperation...but stupidity is still stupididty at the end of the day. Sox could have seriously stunted his growth or gotten him hurt. He belongs in the pen, where he should work out his command and perfect the release point, while increasing velocity.

Does anyone remember his first 10 innings with the Sox? He didn't have a change-up then, but he routinely touched 94-95 mph with movement and with a sharp breaking curve and a slider he help opposing hitters to like 1 hit in 10 innings before running into mechianical problems that Nardi didn't fix...sounds familiar?

In any case, KW got him for nothing, and unless you think Ginter and Gary Majewski can do better in the pen, some props should be given.

LOL, last time i checked, i dont look at stats. But yeah, you know so much about me lol....

kw stole him???...have you seen what scott eyre has done in san francisco???...both down the stretch last year and this year???...he is in damaso marte's role as the number 1 lefty for them..eyre had a 1.59 era down the stretch last year for the giants and this year has a 2.45 era with a save and 4 holds...

Scott Eyre did nothing for Toronto. He was so bad for the Blue Jays that they ended up releasing him. That is like saying the Cubs stole Sosa from the Rangers.

Scott Eyre did nothing for Toronto. He was so bad for the Blue Jays that they ended up releasing him. That is like saying the Cubs stole Sosa from the Rangers.

how does that make glover a steal??....eyre is pitching in a critical role for san francisco while glover is the 10th man of the staff right now , usually pitching in mop up roles...

glover is an ok pitcher but more than likely he will always be in middle relief...i liken him to billy simas before he got hurt...thats not a steal..

i wouldnt call losing eyre a steal for either toronto or san fran...either...even if he was pitching as good for us as he is for san fran we got damaso marte and id much rather have damaso...its just a deal that in the end seems to have worked out well for both pitchers..both guys found a home...but eyre is pitching in a more critical role...

Gary Glover is above average. good stuff, great composure. he can be a strong setup man in any bullpen down the road.

as far as him versus Erye, I would take Glover. Eyre showed NOTHING with us and Toronto but an 89 MPH fastball that he thought was 99.

Gary Glover is above average.  good stuff, great composure.  he can be a strong setup man in any bullpen down the road.

as far as him versus Erye, I would take Glover.  Eyre showed NOTHING with us and Toronto but an 89 MPH fastball that he thought was 99.

gary glover the last two years had era's over 5...this year he is the mop up guy..but he is above average???...ill say he is above average for a mop up guy....if we lost glover tomorrow he could be easily replaced

Gary Glover is above average.  good stuff, great composure.  he can be a strong setup man in any bullpen down the road.

as far as him versus Erye, I would take Glover.  Eyre showed NOTHING with us and Toronto but an 89 MPH fastball that he thought was 99.

gary glover the last two years had era's over 5...this year he is the mop up guy..but he is above average???...ill say he is above average for a mop up guy....if we lost glover tomorrow he could be easily replaced

Yes. He showed his "talent" of lack thereof, last season. He has pitched how many innings this season. All of a sudden he is good? :lol:

well, stick your heads in the stat book and you'll come up with a below average pitcher, watch the game and you see a good pitcher.

Glover could be (and will likely be) a good reliever. NOTE: I didn't say great. I think he's an adequate starter but a good reliever. he has all the tools needed.

outside of Marte, I would take him over anyone else in the pen.

I'm not basing my opinion of this season. I haven't even watched him that much to be honest, but I liked Glover from day one.

as far as mop up guy, he isn't the mop up guy by ability, but for the fact that there is no other reliever the Sox have that can throw more than an inning consistently like Glover.

if there is another long reliever in the pen, Glover is easily a late inning reliever or bridge pitcher.

well, stick your heads in the stat book and you'll come up with a below average pitcher, watch the game and you see a good pitcher.

Glover could be (and will likely be) a good reliever.  NOTE: I didn't say great.  I think he's an adequate starter but a good reliever.  he has all the tools needed.

Ive seen the guy pitch many times. He lacks talent.

Glover could be (and will likely be) a good reliever. NOTE: I didn't say great. I think he's an adequate starter but a good reliever. he has all the tools needed.

We already agreed he doesn't have the stamina (both physical and mental) to be a starting pitcher. Do we need to go over it again, Baggs? He also tipped his pitches a little bit and had some control issues earlier last season that had to be worked out...Still, his ERA was better (or gooder if you prefer) than either Wells or Garland...ah, nevermind.

What part of "Glover has excelled in relief duty" don't you understand? ERA of close to 1.00 over 33 innings? Common, that's half a season's worth as Chisoxfn mentioned...put down the stat book and watch some games. 2 years ago he had nasty stuff. Now he is adding a change-up and improving his control and mechanics, while having to rely less and less on the slider (which is the biggest reason for arm injuries in recent years)...At worst Glover is better than Ginter, Majewski and anybody we have in the minors, including Almonte. Keep things in perspective, will ya?

wow, since you joined this board Brando, I agreed with none of your views, but FINALLY, I agree with you.

Glover is a good reliever. good fastball, good curve, and great composure. no matter what the situation, Glover goes out there and is the same pitcher.

he isn't great and his ERA of 1.20 whatever is will not hold up, but he is a good reliever and will/should put up good numbers for a few years.