Glover

BrandoFan

as far as mop up guy, he isn't the mop up guy by ability, but for the fact that there is no other reliever the Sox have that can throw more than an inning consistently like Glover.

Amen...unless we are ready to convert Danny Wright. Cause Money Gordon ain't gonna do it and he is paid a whole lot more than Garry, ois not much better and is injury prone. Marte? As good as he is a 2-out pitcher and hasn't been as sharp this season. Koch? Right...Maybe Kelly "Hoffa" Wunsht?

he isn't great and his ERA of 1.20 whatever is will not hold up, but he is a good reliever and will/should put up good numbers for a few years.

Agreed. But then again, I wouldn't be surpised if Scoot Eyre falls apart and Joe Borowski comes back to earth as well...ya know.

Glover is not even 26 I think and has been jerked between starting and relief duty in two volatile years that he barely had enough time to fix mechanical flaws he had in 2001. I think he will get better. ERA of 2.50 (excellent nowdays) should be the ceiling for the next 2-3 years. At his current salary, you have better ideas?

A lot of young pitchers get "jerked" between starting and the bullpen. Buerhle started out in the bullpen, then surprisingly became a very good starting pitcher. That's just the way it is in MLB. A young pitcher usually gets his first opportunities out of the pen, then gets some starts when the situation demands, then back to the pen. Either they eventually prove themselves as a starter or they become career relief pitchers, if they make it at all.

I'm not basing my opinion of this season.  I haven't even watched him that much to be honest, but I liked Glover from day one. 

as far as mop up guy, he isn't the mop up guy by ability, but for the fact that there is no other reliever the Sox have that can throw more than an inning consistently like Glover.

if there is another long reliever in the pen, Glover is easily a late inning reliever or bridge pitcher.

If we had a Matt Ginter up here to be a long man, I could see Gary Glover filling in the 7th inning RH reliever role that we have had problems with thus far this year.