9th inning Ozzie

doUrememberwhen

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 11, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
You don't "buy" the arbitration "arguement" huh?

You do understand how arbitration works do you not? :blink:

No, I don't buy it.

And yes, I know how it works.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
You don't "buy" the arbitration "arguement" huh?

You do understand how arbitration works do you not? :blink:

please everybody stop with the arbitration arguement. we're trying to win NOW, not in 2011. if B Mac can help us win NOW, and we instead lose him to free agency in 2011 instead of 2012, then call him up and start the arbitration clock.

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
please everybody stop with the arbitration arguement.  we're trying to win NOW, not in 2011.  if B Mac can help us win NOW, and we instead lose him to free agency in 2011 instead of 2012, then call him up and start the arbitration clock.

The arbitration argument is valid if BMac is not ready, or other options are available that have as much chance of filling our needs. You don't want to pull that trigger, or the "option" trigger on a guy like BMac if you don't have to.

I'm saying they won't change for the White Sox prized top pitching prospect, and if I were lucky enough to sit down with Guillen and KW to discuss ... I'm very confident they'd agree with me.

Well, if we're betting odds, I agree. Plan is pretty clear right now.

they tried the long relief role with another highly regarded prospect - Jon Rauch - and that went south fast.

Two very different attitudes. Rauch's failure was mostly his own fault. He felt

he was above beginning his career as a relief pitcher. Ironically, it's what he's

best suited for, he can be very effective for 3-4 innings.

All this is why I said in another thread that they'll bring in another bullpen arm, and not a rookie.

Again, this is the odds-on favorite. I'm not sure why this would preclude discussing alternatives such as BMac.

BTW ... for more on McCarthy's progress, glance at the 5/10 game thread in the Future Sox section. He has more to learn, and is right where he should be, at Charlotte.

Guest JimH

One of my points is that it's not likely Sox brass is even discussing having McCarthy fill a long relief role. If the did I'd be very surprised.

Personally I believe they like having a "starter in waiting" and would look at every other alternative if they needed a long man.

Based on their statements, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
One of my points is that it's not likely Sox brass is even discussing having McCarthy fill a long relief role.  If the did I'd be very surprised.

Personally I believe they like having a "starter in waiting" and would look at every other alternative if they needed a long man.

And with perpetual injury Orlando Hernandez in the starting rotation that is a damned good strategy. If Brandon is up here pitching every 10th day in middle relief like Neal Cotts, then who is our next starter? Felix Diaz? Robert Person? Arnie Munoz? I get chills just thinking about it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
The arbitration argument is valid if BMac is not ready, or other options are available that have as much chance of filling our needs.  You don't want to pull that trigger, or the "option" trigger on a guy like BMac if you don't have to.

yeah, but if he's not ready, he shouldn't be called up anyway. and he obviously wouldn't be valuable in a long-relief role, so keep him in AAA until needed.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
One of my points is that it's not likely Sox brass is even discussing having McCarthy fill a long relief role.  If the did I'd be very surprised.

Adkins would be that long man, I would guess.