Game Thread 5-11-2005 Sox .vs. Suckfish

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 11, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
Walks are fine and so are stolen bases, but someone has to bring them home .... guys in, oh, I don't know, the 3-4-5 spots. Your RBI guys. Just bring someone home.

And Ozzie has said he isn't about to have those guys bunting and the like. He has said repeatedly that he wants those guys trying to drive in runs. The grinding is up to the 8,9,1,2 hitters.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Every single player seems to be swinging out of their ass.  Greg Walker has to be held responsible for the s*** that's happening with a lot of our hitters.  Simply a terrible approach by way too many players.

For the last few years we have seen the same approach at the plate. They stand a bit off the plate(except Carl), they dip their back shoulder, their hands are high, and they make a golf swing onto the ball. In the Cell that might work out in the summer. However any pitcher worth his salt can locate a pitch on the outside corner and shut down this team. Walker tinkers a lot with the hitters. In the interview he talks a good game, we need to hit to all fields, in the game they are dipping their back shoulders and looking to launch. And if anyone remembers Walker as a player, he was a lefty who would try and pull for power.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
Why? This lineup can't win? Why watch? Why are you reading the play by play here if you already know the outcome?

Maybe because he's a fan. Read his posts. They are consistently as intelligent and accurate as any on this board.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ May 11, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)
It's too late now, but we should've had Willie DH instead of Dye.  Willie's been hitting well in the little amount of time he's been playing.

Harris really must be disliked by Guillen. He's done nothing but good things this year for the team (other than the error -- among many, in Oakland, fwiw), yet he sees Timo Perez get all the OF time.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
AJP has thrown out 7 of 30, I know that catching for Freddy, Contreras, and Hernandez doesn't help him at all, but 7 of 30? That's like 23%, that's awful

Konerko could steal on us with the jump these guys get. They are geting almost a 3 or 4 step jump before the ball is released.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ May 11, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
AJP has thrown out 7 of 30, I know that catching for Freddy, Contreras, and Hernandez doesn't help him at all, but 7 of 30? That's like 23%, that's awful

A.J. rarely has a chance with those guys on the mound. My biggest concern with A.J. is simply catching the ball. He seems to have a hard time catching the ball sometimes, and it's hurt us in a few games. However, this is clearly our best catching tandem in a long, long, long time.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 11, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
AJ hasn't been very good defensively this year.

But, he makes up for it with his ability to call a game and work with his pitchers.  Which is OK -- I'm just pointing it out.

I would take exception to that. AJ has been awesome at stopping balls in the dirt, and making plays at second when he has a chance. He also has been incredible at keeping his pitchers focused and making good pitches.