Hitting slump

Last year we had guys playing station to station, no clutch hits, and lots of solo homers.

This year, guys are getting on and are in scoring position. Pods and Gooch have been on a lot.

Our 3-4-5 guys have been brutal at best. Long looping swings. The inability to get the runners in from the power part of our lineup has been frustrating at best.

Our two big boppers have been terrible at best.

Konerko .200 BA With runners in scoring position he is batt .184 with 2 outs and men in SP .091

Dye .194 BA With runners in scoring position he is batting .100 with 2 outs and men in SP .154

We are going to have a hard time beating good teams if our 3-4-5 hitters dont start producing at least a little.

BTW Minnys the grinding clutch team. They are batting .330 with men in scoring position and .293 with 2 outs and men on. Our numbers are better than KC, Oakland and Cleveland though.

We need to really pick it up when we get men on. Its one thing to get a guy on first, bunt him over and having him come in on a single. But when we get men on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. We need to get both of those runs in. Not just get one. We need to extend and get the big inning and put teams out of it. Or at least take some pressure off of our pitching staff.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Last year we had guys playing station to station, no clutch hits, and lots of solo homers.

This year, guys are getting on and are in scoring position.  Pods and Gooch have been on a lot.

Our 3-4-5 guys have been brutal at best.  Long looping swings.  The inability to get the runners in from the power part of our lineup has been frustrating at best. 

Our two big boppers have been terrible at best.

Konerko .200 BA  With runners in scoring position he is batt .184 with 2 outs and men in SP .091

Dye .194 BA  With runners in scoring position he is batting .100  with 2 outs and men in SP .154

We are going to have a hard time beating good teams if our 3-4-5 hitters dont start producing at least a little. 

BTW Minnys the grinding clutch team.  They are batting .330 with men in scoring position and .293 with 2 outs and men on.  Our numbers are better than KC, Oakland and Cleveland though.

We need to really pick it up when we get men on.  Its one thing to get a guy on first, bunt him over and having him come in on a single.  But when we get men on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.  We need to get both of those runs in.  Not just get one.  We need to extend and get the big inning and put teams out of it.  Or at least  take some pressure off of our pitching staff.

I expect things to change when Frank gets back.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
They will just walk Frank to get to Konerko or Dye.  Its not like they are pitching around Dye and Konerko, they have been challenging them.

The won't walk him with runners on. If they do paul and dye or carl better do something. :banghead

I honestly would like to see Uribe in the 3rd hole for a while, and see what happens. He is the starter who consistently hits the ball hardest, and with Pods and Iguchi at the top of the order, I really think our offense would flourish. We also should have Everett and Rowand batting back-to-back, so a manager can't put in a lefty to face Everett and Konerko (who's worse against lhp than rhp).

QUOTE(fathom @ May 10, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
I honestly would like to see Uribe in the 3rd hole for a while, and see what happens.  He is the starter who consistently hits the ball hardest, and with Pods and Iguchi at the top of the order, I really think our offense would flourish.  We also should have Everett and Rowand batting back-to-back, so a manager can't put in a lefty to face Everett and Konerko (who's worse against lhp than rhp).

Uribe in the number 3 would be interesting. He puts the ball in play and has a lot of line drives.

Its better than popup, K or GIDP.

The thing is, we're basically playing with house money with our incredible start. Instead of waiting for this team to lose 5 or 6 games in a row, Ozzie should get creative. The current lineup is certainly not clicking in terms of producing a lot of motion on the bases and smallball. Something I've noticed is that besides Pods or Iguchi, we do a terrible job with situational hitting when we have runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs. I've seen enough weak pop ups or routine DP balls to last a season in the last week.

The thing is, we're basically playing with house money with our incredible start.  Instead of waiting for this team to lose 5 or 6 games in a row, Ozzie should get creative.  The current lineup is certainly not clicking in terms of producing a lot of motion on the bases and smallball.  Something I've noticed is that besides Pods or Iguchi, we do a terrible job with situational hitting when we have runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs.  I've seen enough weak pop ups or routine DP balls to last a season in the last week.

6 runs should be enough to win a game. The bullpen blew it last night. But the problem is consistency on offense. Konerko and Dye are rally killers right now. It's sad that I'd rather see Widger up over those two in key situations.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 10, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
The thing is, we're basically playing with house money with our incredible start.  Instead of waiting for this team to lose 5 or 6 games in a row, Ozzie should get creative.  The current lineup is certainly not clicking in terms of producing a lot of motion on the bases and smallball.  Something I've noticed is that besides Pods or Iguchi, we do a terrible job with situational hitting when we have runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs.  I've seen enough weak pop ups or routine DP balls to last a season in the last week.

How many squeeze bunts have we seen already this year with the boppers coming up. Its almost like Ozzie is in a panic to get some runs in before 3-4-5 get up to kill the rally.

How about this for some changes to spice things up

Pods LF

Iguchi 2b

Uribe SS

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

AJ C

Crede 3b

Arow CF

Brian Anderson RF

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
How many squeeze bunts have we seen already this year with the boppers coming up.  Its almost like Ozzie is in a panic to get some runs in before 3-4-5 get up to kill the rally. 

How about this for some changes to spice things up

Pods LF

Iguchi 2b

Uribe SS

Everett DH

Konerko 1B

AJ C

Crede 3b

Arow CF

Brian Anderson RF

To answer your question .... One.

The Sox also employed the suicide squeeze for the first time since spring training when Tadahito Iguchi laid down a perfect bunt against 6-foot-10-inch left-hander Mark Hendrickson to score Crede and extend the Sox's lead to 6-4 in the sixth.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 11, 2005 -> 01:01 AM)
He was bunting for a base hit.

Exactly. From what I understand, that play was not called by Ozzie. It certainly wasn't a suicide squeeze, either. Though, I do now notice Irish said nothing about a suicide squeeze, just a squeeze.

Exactly.  From what I understand, that play was not called by Ozzie.  It certainly wasn't a suicide squeeze, either.  Though, I do now notice Irish said nothing about a suicide squeeze, just a squeeze.

It WAS a suicide squeeze...

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Texas_leaguer

squeeze play:

A tactic used to attempt to score a runner from third on a bunt. There are two types of squeeze plays: suicide squeeze and safety squeeze.

safety squeeze:

A squeeze play in which the runner on third waits for the batter to lay down a successful bunt before breaking for home. Contrast this with the suicide squeeze.

suicide squeeze:

A squeeze play in which the runner on third breaks for home on the pitch, so that, if the batter does not lay down a bunt, then the runner is an easy out. Contrast this with the safety squeeze.

It was a suicide squeeze because Crede was running for home even before Iguchi successfully laid down the bunt. He was taking the risk (of suicide ;)), if Iguchi didn't get the bunt down successfully. If Iguchi doesn't get the bunt down, Crede is most likely dead-to-rights. Crede had to attempt a suicide squeeze because he is far too slow to try a safety squeeze.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 11, 2005 -> 04:10 AM)
It WAS a suicide squeeze...

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Texas_leaguer

It was a suicide squeeze because Crede was running for home even before Iguchi successfully laid down the bunt.  He was taking the risk (of suicide  ;)), if Iguchi didn't get the bunt down successfully.  If Iguchi doesn't get the bunt down, Crede is most likely dead-to-rights.  Crede had to attempt a suicide squeeze because he is far too slow to try a safety squeeze.

I hadn't seen the play. Based on everything I had read about it, nothing was said that indicated it was a suicide.

And, oh, for the record .... I'm well aware of the difference between a suicide and a safety squeeze.

Exactly.  From what I understand, that play was not called by Ozzie.  It certainly wasn't a suicide squeeze, either.  Though, I do now notice Irish said nothing about a suicide squeeze, just a squeeze.

I hadn't seen the play.  Based on everything I had read about it, nothing was said that indicated it was a suicide.

And, oh, for the record .... I'm well aware of the difference between a suicide and a safety squeeze.

It was a suicide squeeze. Watch the replay at WhiteSox.com. Crede was running as the pitcher was throwing the ball.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 11, 2005 -> 04:53 AM)
It was a suicide squeeze.  Watch the replay at WhiteSox.com.  Crede was running as the pitcher was throwing the ball.

Yes. My original statement was wrong. I said I hadn't seen the play and nothing I had read indicated otherwise. What more do you want?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 10, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
Uribe in the number 3 would be interesting.  He puts the ball in play and has a lot of line drives. 

Its better than popup, K or GIDP.

Crede has been better than those guys as well. Put him in the Robin spot.

My lineup:

LF-Podsednik

2B-Iguchi

DH-Everett(he's still been getting RBI's and sac fly's)

C-Pierzynski

SS-Uribe

3B-Crede

1B-Konerko

RF-Dye

CF-Rowand

It's way more than enough to change it up. Hell put Widger at first and Harris at CF and then RF the next day. Their asses need to know that you get bench once you don't perform. Ultimate disrespect by putting the 4-5-6 hitters there. Maybe it'll finally light a fire under their asses.