World Cup Baseball tournament

thomsonmi

This sounds pretty cool...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/...10worldcup.html

Baseball’s long wait for a World Cup-style international tournament, with the game's best players representing their countries, is over.

Two Major League Baseball Players Association officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Major League Baseball and the MLBPA will announce either Wednesday or Thursday that a 16-team tournament will be held during spring training of 2006.

“We’re working on a joint press release to be issued over the next few days,” one union official told Baseball America. “It’s a collaboration--we’re hammering out what we’re going to say and how we’re going to say it.”

MLB spokesman Pat Courtney declined comment. One high-ranking baseball official with knowledge of the pending announcement said suggestively, “I would be here,” in reference to the owners meetings that are being held through Thursday at MLB’s offices in Manhattan.

Tentatively called the “World Baseball Classic,” the tournament will be staged across three weeks next March and will be the first full-scale event involving major league players representing their home countries. Olympic tournaments included only amateur players from 1984-1996, after which professionals have been eligible. Because of scheduling conflicts, however, international competition has generally involved minor leaguers.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 11, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
This sounds pretty cool...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/...10worldcup.html

Baseball’s long wait for a World Cup-style international tournament, with the game's best players representing their countries, is over.

Two Major League Baseball Players Association officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Major League Baseball and the MLBPA will announce either Wednesday or Thursday that a 16-team tournament will be held during spring training of 2006.

“We’re working on a joint press release to be issued over the next few days,” one union official told Baseball America. “It’s a collaboration--we’re hammering out what we’re going to say and how we’re going to say it.”

MLB spokesman Pat Courtney declined comment. One high-ranking baseball official with knowledge of the pending announcement said suggestively, “I would be here,” in reference to the owners meetings that are being held through Thursday at MLB’s offices in Manhattan.

Tentatively called the “World Baseball Classic,” the tournament will be staged across three weeks next March and will be the first full-scale event involving major league players representing their home countries. Olympic tournaments included only amateur players from 1984-1996, after which professionals have been eligible. Because of scheduling conflicts, however, international competition has generally involved minor leaguers.

It is about time- now we can finally get this underway and provide baseball fans the answer to who plays the best baseball. Hopefully all the best players from each country come out and play for national pride.

Edited by palehose23

Yes, Manny (and A-Rod for that matter) would probably play for the US. The lineups on ESPN are probably more accurate. I gotta give the advantage to the US because they have a lot more pitching depth than the other countries. It could be interesting though. The Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico have some nice hitters, and someone like Santana, Pedro, or Zambrano have the potential to carry the staff. I like Team USA's odds with guys like Rocket, Unit, Sheets, Prior, and Peavy potentially making up the rotation though, no matter who the other guys are.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 12, 2005 -> 01:31 AM)
Yes, Manny (and A-Rod for that matter) would probably play for the US. The lineups on ESPN are probably more accurate. I gotta give the advantage to the US because they have a lot more pitching depth than the other countries. It could be interesting though. The Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico have some nice hitters, and someone like Santana, Pedro, or Zambrano have the potential to carry the staff. I like Team USA's odds with guys like Rocket, Unit, Sheets, Prior, and Peavy potentially making up the rotation though, no matter who the other guys are.

What, no Buehrle? :crying

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 13, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Crikey! Now I'm worried.

C'mon with Jon Stephens, Chris Snelling, Travis Blackley, Graham Lloyd, Thomas Brice and co. on the team, just give us the trophy already.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
That sounds really cool.  Of course I don't want to see Buehrle or someone going 7 innings a few times during this tourney as opposed to him getting his normal work in spring training.

On bbtn Tim K. said there will be pitch count limits and appearance limits. He also said teams will not be able to block players from participating.

This should be fun.

:usa :usa :usa

QUOTE(shakes @ May 13, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
On bbtn Tim K. said there will be pitch count limits and appearance limits. He also said teams will not be able to block players from participating.

This should be fun.

:usa  :usa  :usa

Man this will be a total blast.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 14, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
I would imagine the World Cup type thing would have a tougher steroid program than the MLB.

If healthy could we see Frank repping the US?

Hopefully they have an olympic style testing program, since it will be an internationally sanctioned event. 2 year bans could really put the pressure on MLB even moreso.