Breaking news

YASNY

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
Get out!? :P

That said, wanting to shoot down a single-engine Cesna because some greenhorn doesn't know what he's doing?

Yikes.

Its a scary time no doubt. And with DC having 3 major airports, including one that is less than a minute by jet from the White House and Capital Building, I am really surprised that this hasn't happened more often.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 11, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)

That said, wanting to shoot down a single-engine Cesna because some greenhorn doesn't know what he's doing?

Yikes.

And he doesn't respond to radio? Yes.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)

Yikes.

We are talking national security here. That's EXACTLY what they should do if the believe there is a credible threat ... moron pilot or not.

Good idea.. till it blinds a pilot....

Lasers to warn pilots in restricted D.C. airspace

From Mike M. Ahlers

CNN Washington Bureau

Friday, April 15, 2005 Posted: 11:02 AM EDT (1502 GMT)

A red laser light flashes to alert pilots they are flying in restricted areas.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Beginning in mid-May, pilots who intrude into restricted airspace over the nation's capital will be warned by pulsating red and green laser beams, part of a government effort to prevent a terrorist attack.

The U.S. military will activate the ground-based lasers whenever unauthorized or unresponsive aircraft enter the restricted zone, a huge swath of airspace surrounding the region's three major airports.

The bright laser beams, which flash red-red-green, are easily seen, even during daylight or in a sea of city lights. But because the beams are directional, they rarely will be seen by other aircraft or by the public, except in hazy conditions. The laser beams can be seen 15 to 20 miles away, authorities said, except in cloudy conditions.

More at link..

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/04/15/laser.warn/index.html

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 11, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
We are talking national security here.  That's EXACTLY what they should do if the believe there is a credible threat ... moron pilot or not.

Agreed. Stupidity doesn't excuse a serious threat to the White House or Capitol Building, inadvertent or not.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Oh my goodness.  DC has anti-air craft guns and were prepared to use them if necessary; say, if this plane was supposed to go down in a crowded area.

There are Secret Service/FBI agents armed with Stinger missiles on the roofs of both the Capitol and White House. A Cessna would be no match for a Stinger.

Further update (from NY1):

Two men who were flying the small plane that entered the restricted airspace over the nation's capital late Wednesday morning have been released from police custody after investigators determined the incident was an accident. The terror alert level was not raised in New York City.

The small Cessna airplane prompted citywide alerts in Washington D.C. at 11:28 a.m. when it entered the restricted airspace. Officials swiftly raised the alert level in the nation's capital, but it has since been lowered again.

Officials say the plane came within three miles of the White House and the pilot did not respond to repeated attempts to communicate. F-16 jets were scrambled from Andrews Air Force Base just outside the city, in Maryland, and fired warning flares. The Cessna eventually turned away from the White House and was forced to land at an airport in Maryland.

The plane was registered in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

President George W. Bush was away from the White House at the time, reportedly exercising on his bicycle. First Lady Laura Bush and former First Lady Nancy Reagan were taken to a secure location. Vice President Dick Cheney was also moved off site to a secure location. Congressional leaders were moved from the Capitol. The Pentagon was not evacuated.

Officials say people were let back into the building within about 20 minutes of the incident.

In the three-and-a-half years since the September 11, 2001, attacks, hundreds of small planes have flown within restricted airspace around the capital – a 15 ¾-mile radius around the Washington Monument.

In the most dramatic incident, thousands of people fled the Capitol and other nearby buildings when a plane flew into the restricted air space just before the funeral procession for President Ronald Reagan last June. It turned out to be carrying Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher, who had been cleared to fly into the area.

I just thought I'd comment and say that as most of you know I live in DC just 7 blocks from the White House to be exact, and I had no idea that anything was going on until after it ended when I walked through the student union and saw CNN. Shows you how hard I was studying today. Also, a friend of mine interns on the Hill and was there today...talk about an interesting experience. She's been evacuated from the Capitol and I've been in a lock-down.

Also, I saw some of you talking about the anti-aircraft missiles on the roof. Let me tell you, I camped outside the White House a few years ago, and I learned a lot of interesting stuff that night.