Pods, the Man of Steal

southsider2k5

Like a guard shooting three-pointers while getting double-teamed or a quarterback completing passes despite double coverage, Scott Podsednik has no fear when it comes to stealing bases.

The White Sox's leadoff man leads the major leagues with 17 stolen bases, and he has been caught only twice while being a marked man.

"I get great satisfaction out of stealing a base when everyone knows I'm going," Podsednik said before Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay. "Including the catcher, pitcher and opposing manager. That's what I do. That's how I have to help this club."

Podsednik easily has fulfilled the Sox's plan to add more speed to their offense. Podsednik needs only two more steals to equal Willie Harris' team-leading mark of 19 last season.

"[Podsednik] is the key on this team," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "If he gets on base, we can do a lot of different things."

Podsednik's ability to steal has opposing pitchers thinking about throwing more fastballs, with No. 2 hitter Tadahito Iguchi as the primary beneficiary.

"I'm trying to change the tempo," Podsednik said. "I want to try to sway [the pitcher's] attention toward me. That way he's going to throw a fastball over the plate and give Iguchi or whoever an advantage."

Podsednik stole four bases in Saturday's 10-7 win at Toronto and is on pace to steal 86 bases, which would surpass Rudy Law's franchise record of 77 set in 1983 and 16 ahead of his career high last year with Milwaukee.

He credits Brewers coach Davey Nelson and Sox coach Tim Raines for sharing strategies.

"Davey always told me everyone does something different," Podsednik said. "But if you study and look at them long enough, you can see a pattern. So that's why I try to watch as much film as I can."

After Podsednik came to the Sox in a trade from the Brewers, he sifted through tips Raines gave him in spring training.

"You want to see what kind of stuff the pitcher has, how long he holds the ball, if he pays attention to runners, his [delivery time] to home plate, if he likes to throw the ball over to first base and what he might throw in certain counts," Podsednik said.

"The more information you know, the better chance you have."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
This brings up a good point, If gooch was a larger base stealing threat, would Carl see more good pitches???

Carl would get plenty of pitches to hit if Kong was belting the ball. But with the hitters behind Carl you can pitch anyway you want right now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
Carl would get plenty of pitches to hit if Kong was belting the ball.  But with the hitters behind Carl you can pitch anyway you want right now.

but if gooch was a stolen base threat, do you think he would see more fastballs?? Spods is a big reason why gooch is hitting over 300

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
but if gooch was a stolen base threat, do you think he would see more fastballs??  Spods is a big reason why gooch is hitting over 300

Yes if he had Pods like abilities yes.

But the number 3 hitter typically is protected by the number 4 hitter. If they pitch around the number 3 the number 4 is supposed to drive in the runs. That is how it has worked for a long time in the AL.

Why do people think Everett is being pitched around? From my viewpoint, Carl gets as many good pitches to hit as anyone on our team. Everett's problem lately has been that he's fouling off the fastball right down the plate, and then he's chasing bad pitches when he's down in the count. Everett's patience has never been good, but it's been horrible lately.

"[Podsednik] is the key on this team," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "If he gets on base, we can do a lot of different things."

So Ozzie decides to bench him against a righty and an old catcher. And with a pure stroke of genius, he places Timo "I suck so much" Perez in the lead-off spot.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 11, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Why do people think Everett is being pitched around?  From my viewpoint, Carl gets as many good pitches to hit as anyone on our team.  Everett's problem lately has been that he's fouling off the fastball right down the plate, and then he's chasing bad pitches when he's down in the count.  Everett's patience has never been good, but it's been horrible lately.

Hes doing the same thing that Kong is doing. Taking the fastballs down the cock, and swinging at crap after the count gets in the pitchers favor. When you have guys on its okay to look for a pitch to drive. But usually its the fastball down the cock.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)

So Ozzie decides to bench him against a righty and an old catcher.  And with a pure stroke of genius, he places Timo "I suck so much" Perez in the lead-off spot.

According to the official White Sox web site, Podsednik was scratched from the lineup with an upset stomach. I don't think Ozzie's to blame for that.

QUOTE(SoIL @ May 11, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
According to the official White Sox web site, Podsednik was scratched from the lineup with an upset stomach. I don't think Ozzie's to blame for that.

Some would beg to differ.

EVERYTHING IS OZZIES FAULT

CANCER? f*** you Ozzie.

AIDS? Ozzie...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
I thought Kenny Williams was to blame for everything?  s*** now I am confused

Of course KW was the brains behind hiring the idiot that screws up everything in the whole world.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 11, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
This brings up a good point, If gooch was a larger base stealing threat, would Carl see more good pitches???

Who says Iguchi isn't a threat to steal. he has what, seven steals now? He's not in the same caliber as Pods obviously, but he can't be ignored over there either.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 11, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)

So Ozzie decides to bench him against a righty and an old catcher.  And with a pure stroke of genius, he places Timo "I suck so much" Perez in the lead-off spot.

And Wins!!! Seriously, I don't know why Timo is hated on so much considering he is nowhere near the worse player on the team.

Who says Iguchi isn't a threat to steal.  he has what, seven steals now?  He's not in the same caliber as Pods obviously, but he can't be ignored over there either.

Yep, 7 SB so far and he's on pace to steal 33! I doubt he gets that many but anything over 20 would be awesome.