Forget Iraq, was WWII worth it?

southsider2k5

This was the line that blew my mind. Basically because Hitler was elected, Germans had no rights not to be killed.

But Buchanan's comments on the Don Imus radio show and in an essay posted on the Web site of his organization, The American Cause, went much further. He suggested that because Germans voted Hitler in, they did not need to be liberated, and that Britain and France drew Germany into the wider conflict.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
This was the line that blew my mind.  Basically because Hitler was elected, Germans had no rights not to be killed.

That was ridiculous to me as well. So apparently if you come to power through election you have the freedom to do anything you want and there wouldn't be justification for another nation to attack you. Even if you are exterminating people and invading other nations without provocation.

I've just finished reading the whole article.

"If the West went to war to stop Hitler from dominating Eastern and Central Europe, and Eastern and Central Europe ended up under a tyranny even more odious, as Bush implies, did Western civilization win the war?"

He's got a point with that. FDR and Churchill did sell these people out to Stalin.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 12, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)

"If the West went to war to stop Hitler from dominating Eastern and Central Europe, and Eastern and Central Europe ended up under a tyranny even more odious, as Bush implies, did Western civilization win the war?"

He's got a point with that.  FDR and Churchill did sell these people out to Stalin.

Apu agreed with Pat?????? :o [headexplodes]

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)

He's got a point with that.  FDR and Churchill did sell these people out to Stalin.

It's hypothetical. If Hitler did in fact defeat Russia and take Prussia as well as Russia, the entire Slavic race would become a race of Untermensch, or slaves, and eventually purged from the Earth. Buchanan needs to read the Cliff Notes version of Mein Kampf (doesn't exist, just a term) to understand what Hitler would have done if he held power there. Just look at Byelorussia as a prime example of what the future would have held.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ May 12, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)

I'd hardly say that the tyranny of most of these east european states (with the possible exception of Romania) compared in any way to the tyranny of Germany.