Pie in the Sky Proposal

knightni

Trade deadline and LAA of A are locks for the division:

Would the A's trade Chavez and Dotel to the Sox?

Would those players help the Sox for what their salaries are?

I would LOVE Chavez on the Sox. Crede would probably "move on" if Boras has his way.

What do you think.

Peter Gammons

errr.. I mean knightni ;)

QUOTE(knightni @ May 12, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)

I would LOVE Chavez on the Sox. Crede would probably "move on" if Boras has his way.

What do you think.

Peter Gammons

errr.. I mean knightni  ;)

What else does Oakland get?

QUOTE(knightni @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

What do you think.

Peter Gammons

I don't think Chavez is going anywhere. They let Giambi and Tejada walk and made a big deal about how Beane selected Chavez to build around

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 12, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
What else does Oakland get?

I was mostly speculating on the Sox getting Chavez.

I wasn't looking to make a formal offer necessarily.

I dunno...

Crede, Cotts, Baj, Diaz and Borchard...?

Are these "Moneyball" guys?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I don't think Chavez is going anywhere.  They let Giambi and Tejada walk and made a big deal about how Beane selected Chavez to build around

They also traded Mark Teahan, who was their up and coming third basemen. They have too mucch invested in Chavez.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 12, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
I was mostly speculating on the Sox getting Chavez.

I wasn't looking to make a formal offer necessarily.

I dunno...

Crede, Cotts, Baj, Diaz and Borchard...?

Are these "Moneyball" guys?

Borchard and Crede are certianly not moneyball guys. They already had Cotts once before. Diaz would not probaly fit.

Baj would probaly fit there, given their recent 'pen problems.

Bottom line: To get a star, we will probaly have to give up one of our Big 3.

QUOTE(Beastly @ May 12, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
Chavez is signed long term. Dotel seems to be in the new ownership's plans.

Dotel will be traded by the deadline (once his stock rises again)... I don't know where you saw/heard that, but if you did see it somewhere, can ya post it?

And, any deal for Chavez would have to start with McCarthy.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

What do you think.

Peter Gammons

I really dont like talking about deals at this point because we're the best team in baseball and we have awesome chemistry in the clubhouse. No need to fix something that aint broke.

What are you people thinking saying that we want Dotel? Let the Cubs have him. We have our own bullpen problems. Did anyone actually pay attention to the last series between Oakland and Boston? Dotel gave up 2 walk-off home runs in the 9th inning to guys from Boston.

If we want a guy who can come in and give up home runs...we've got Takatsu, and I at least have some confidence that he'll improve this season. I have never thought Dotel was that great of a closer, and I'd be extremely unhappy if KW decided to try to get him and gave up anything other than a nice song and dance.

And to the one who said that Dotel is in their long-term plans in Oakland, I think you're wrong. They have that guy, I think his name is Street, who they just brought up from their minors who is slated to be handed the Oakland closer job in the near future.

Dotel will be traded, but I hope to God it isn't to the Sox. He's no better than the guys we already have there, and he may be worse. He reminds me of Latroy Hawkins last year; he was excellent as the setup man in Houston, but he hasn't been able to handle the closer spot.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 12, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Dotel will be traded by the deadline (once his stock rises again)...  I don't know where you saw/heard that, but if you did see it somewhere, can ya post it?

I think it was his opinion..

But I agree with you. I think he'll go first.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
He was great out of the closer spot.

Man...you need to go to MLB.com and see if you can find highlights of the last 2 Oakland-Red Sox games. Seriously. What do people see in this guy? I can't figure it out, he's had an ERA about 4 over the last 2 seasons

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
Man...you need to go to MLB.com and see if you can find highlights of the last 2 Oakland-Red Sox games.  Seriously.  What do people see in this guy?  I can't figure it out, he's had an ERA about 4 over the last 2 seasons

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I meant he was great out of the closer spot, as in a set-up man in Houston. Not he was great out of the closer spot, as in his performance in Oakland.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I meant  he was great out of the closer spot, as in a set-up man in Houston. Not he was great out of the closer spot, as in his performance in Oakland.

Ok, I did misunderstand...

Let me ask you this then...Latroy Hawkins was excellent out of the closer's spot in Minnesota. Would you consider trading for him now? I sure as all Hell wouldn't, and I wouldn't take Dotel either. When Billy Koch was struggling as a closer, did moving him back to a setup man suddenly make him a better pitcher?

I just have trouble buying the whole "They're great as a setup man and terrible as a closer, if we put them back as a setup man they'll be great again" line of thinking. If a guy is struggling, he'll struggle whether or not it's the 8th or the 9th inning. He has to prove to me that he can still be a good setup man again before I'd even consider taking him.

I understand if a guy is having problems because he has terrible setup men and he keeps coming in with 1 guy out and the bases loaded in the 8th, like Gagne was towards the end of last year, but with Dotel, the stuff he's throwing up there is genuinely bad and not smart. If you throw a guy bad pitches, he'll hit it out whether its' the 8th or the 9th, and right now, Dotel is not throwing good pitches. If you see highlights of the at-bats last night by Millar and Varitek, it's pretty obvious. It's more than just the whole "Closer mentality" thing. He's genuinely not pitching well at all.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)

Let me ask you this then...Latroy Hawkins was excellent out of the closer's spot in Minnesota.  Would you consider trading for him now?  I sure as all Hell wouldn't, and I wouldn't take Dotel either.

I just have trouble buying the whole "They're great as a setup man and terrible as a closer, if we put them back as a setup man they'll be great again" line of thinking.  If a guy is struggling, he'll struggle whether or not it's the 8th or the 9th inning.  He has to prove to me that he can still be a good setup man again before I'd even consider taking him.

as odd as that logic may be, I personally buy into it. Saving games is 90% mental, and some guys like LaTroy can not handle it at all, but they have no problem when there is a less stressful situation

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)

Let me ask you this then...Latroy Hawkins was excellent out of the closer's spot in Minnesota.  Would you consider trading for him now?  I sure as all Hell wouldn't, and I wouldn't take Dotel either.

I just have trouble buying the whole "They're great as a setup man and terrible as a closer, if we put them back as a setup man they'll be great again" line of thinking.  If a guy is struggling, he'll struggle whether or not it's the 8th or the 9th inning.  He has to prove to me that he can still be a good setup man again before I'd even consider taking him.

Will putting a guy in the 8th inning change his stuff? No, but it will change his whole mentality. I believe some guys just struggle carrying the weight of the name closer, and are much calmer coming out to set-up. I think we've seen too many cases of this in MLB to think otherwise.

Now, sometimes an even worse scenario is moving him out of a closers role, back into his normal spot in the bullpen. So, would it be a risk to take Dotel on? Yes, but one worth taking(having not looked at his contract, mind you) if you aren't giving up anyone named Brandon, Ryan, or Brian.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Man...you need to go to MLB.com and see if you can find highlights of the last 2 Oakland-Red Sox games.  Seriously.  What do people see in this guy?  I can't figure it out, he's had an ERA about 4 over the last 2 seasons

2001- 2.66 era.

2002- 1.85 era.

2003- 2.48 era.

2004- 3.69.

He sucks.

2001- 2.66 era. (Long Relief/Spot Starter)

2002- 1.85 era. (Middle Relief/Setup Man)

2003- 2.48 era. (Setup Man)

2004- 3.69 era. (Closer) 9 BLSV out of 45 Opp.

2005- 4.05 era. (Closer) 4 BLSV out of 10 Opp.

He's a great Setup Man but has had his struggles at closer.