FUCK ROB NEYER

Paul (Chicago): Rob, if the Yankees are off to the start the White Sox are, all we will hear is how they can't be stopped from going to the WS. If Billy Beane makes the same moves as Kenny Williams with these results, Billy's hailed a genius. All I hear is people like Kruk and Brantley ripping the White Sox, saying they won't win the division. What does it take for the Sox of the Midwest to get some national respect?

Rob Neyer: Oh, those poor, poor White Sox from the third-largest city in North America; oh, how my heart does weep for them. Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them. Are they for real? Twenty-five wins on May 12 don't lie, and at the moment I'd give them roughly a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason, because they have to compete with not only the Twins, but also maybe the Red Sox and/or Yankees and/or Orioles. Two of those teams will not reach the postseason, and I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't figure this guy out. He picks the White Sox in spring training to win the AL Central, then the White Sox get off to the best start in their history, and all of a sudden he sours on them.

How can you turn your back on a preseason pick when they start off to the best record in baseball? Anyone else would be gloating that their preseason pick was doing so well.

I like the guy, but that just blows my mind.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Paul (Chicago): Rob, if the Yankees are off to the start the White Sox are, all we will hear is how they can't be stopped from going to the WS. If Billy Beane makes the same moves as Kenny Williams with these results, Billy's hailed a genius. All I hear is people like Kruk and Brantley ripping the White Sox, saying they won't win the division. What does it take for the Sox of the Midwest to get some national respect?

Rob Neyer: Oh, those poor, poor White Sox from the third-largest city in North America; oh, how my heart does weep for them. Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them. Are they for real? Twenty-five wins on May 12 don't lie, and at the moment I'd give them roughly a 40 percent chance of reaching the postseason, because they have to compete with not only the Twins, but also maybe the Red Sox and/or Yankees and/or Orioles. Two of those teams will not reach the postseason, and I think the White Sox are one of the two least-talented teams in the group.

Its times like this that I bring out the Lee Elia rant and tweak it a bit to fit the situation.

"I hope we STAY hotter -n- s***......just to stuff it up them media cock suckers who doubt us all the time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
I can't figure this guy out.  He picks the White Sox in spring training to win the AL Central, then the White Sox get off to the best start in their history, and all of a sudden he sours on them.

How can you turn your back on a preseason pick when they start off to the best record in baseball?  Anyone else would be gloating that their preseason pick was doing so well.

I like the guy, but that just blows my mind.

this make no sense. Ugly uniforms? The Sox have standard uniforms that I've never heard anyone label as ugly... this is just odd

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ May 12, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
this make no sense.  Ugly uniforms?  The Sox have standard uniforms that I've never heard anyone label as ugly... this is just odd

If the White Sox uniforms are so ugly then why are we at or near the top of merchandise sales in MLB?

:huh

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 12, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
If the White Sox uniforms are so ugly then why are we at or near the top of merchandise sales in MLB?

:huh

He didn't answer/post my statement defending our uniforms and the stadium upgrades (agreed with him on the name part, but that's the least of the 3 complaints)

Yeah I thought he picked the Sox to win the division. What an idiot. He says Chicago is the 3rd largest city in North America. Hey dumbass, Mexico City is the largest in North America, followed by New York and Los Angeles. Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the USA. There could even be more Mexican cities larger than Chicago or Los Angeles, I don't know for sure.

Where are the Rob Neyer apologists on this dousy? Usually, regardless of content, quasi-sabermetricians agree with Rob Neyer on every subject.

I may respect his opinions, but his comments, in this instance, are spiteful and ultimately sound as if someone in the White Sox organization pissed him off.

Who has ever openly complained about our uniforms? I believe the road uni's are some of the best in the league. I simply don't understand how our uniforms, the name/appearance of our ballpark can constitute whether or not someone deems us "likeable."

I'm just upset Neyer decided to ignore the question of media biasm and instead deliver his cheap jabs.

How about debating WHY the national media ignores the White Sox?

How about questioning IF roles were reversed with Billy Beane making the offseason moves or Yankess holding our record what would happen?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Neyer has always been an idiot. There's nothing to learn from what he writes. Ever. He reads Bill James' books, then does horrible analyses trying to use what he has read.

He's also a KC fan, and his suck-ass team is in last place, and their manager just resigned. So he's probably being pissy about that.

If you want to learn about sabermetrics, read Bill James. Do not read Neyer, that's stupidmetrics.

here's my e-mail to him. btw, his email address is [email protected]

"Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them."

Rob,

First of all - ouch. Did you really say this in a chat? I don't want to flame you - but I feel that kind of comment goes beyond "expert analysis." Whether or not they're a fluke, or if their hot streak will or won't last is up for discussion (as you go on to say later in your response) but starting with that kind of quote just seems mean-spirited and wrong.

Ugly uniforms? Black and white pinstripes with the S-O-X in olde english script is ugly? It's traditional - a variation on uniforms the Sox have been wearing for most of their existence. Besides, media types love the Yankees with their pinstripes and logo. why are the Sox any different?

Ugly ballpark? Ten years ago that might have been a valid argument, but now? Renovations since then have made The Cell one of the nicest, cleanest (unlike their North side counterparts), and in my opinion, (and I have been been to about half of the major league stadiums) one of the best baseball-watching facilities around. Ugly ballparks - I'd call Tropicana Field, the Metrodome, and Shea Stadium ugly - but not The Cell. It's really changed. You should visit it. It doesn't have the saloon atmosphere that Wrigley has, but I think that works in its favor. No stupid drunk frat boys pissing in the middle of the street, and it has plenty of parking - something in Boston I'm told is something one can appreciate.

Ugly name? True, U.S. Cellular Field doesn't have the ring that Comiskey Park has, but in this age of corporation-sponsored naming deals, there's not many parks that do have GREAT names. Citizens Bank Ballpark, Comerica Park, Petco Field, Network Associates Colisseum - all bad. And truthfully, if you think about it, besides that bs-phrase of "tradition", what makes the word "Wrigley" or "Fenway" a great name?

I don't have a problem with you (or many other "experts" for that matter) thinking the Sox's success won't last or picking them not to make the playoffs (btw, didn't you pick the Sox to win the AL Central?) That too is opinion, but one based on facts. But making broad generalizations that I feel are untrue is really uncalled for. Why are the White Sox (whose streak of not winning the World Series is longer than any other team in baseball besides the Cubs) generally maligned in the media? I don't know. Maybe because they're not "the lovable losers" or that they don't hang their failures on a "curse" of some sort. I don't know, but I'm hoping winning cures all these issues. I don't remember the same disgust shown by the media when they were winning divisions in the early 90's in the same ballaprk, with the same uni's.

Thank you for your time,

Kjell Hilding

Los Angeles, CA

On the other side of things, most of the newspapers in the state of Iowa can't get enough Sox coverage. Sure, you're gonna have Cubs coverage in the DM Register with the Iowa Cubs in town, but I've been pleasantly surprised that if the papers throw in a story about a major league team, it's usually the Sox.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 12, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
On the other side of things, most of the newspapers in the state of Iowa can't get enough Sox coverage. Sure, you're gonna have Cubs coverage in the DM Register with the Iowa Cubs in town, but I've been pleasantly surprised that if the papers throw in a story about a major league team, it's usually the Sox.

Also, the Register is owned by Gannett or Knight-Ridder, either of which is one of the Tribune companies.