FUCK ROB NEYER

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(longshot7 @ May 12, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
here's my e-mail to him.  btw, his email address is [email protected]

"Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them."

Rob,

First of all - ouch.  Did you really say this in a chat?  I don't want to flame you - but I feel that kind of comment goes beyond "expert analysis."  Whether or not they're a fluke, or if their hot streak will or won't last is up for discussion (as you go on to say later in your response) but starting with that kind of quote just seems mean-spirited and wrong.

Ugly uniforms?  Black and white pinstripes with the S-O-X in olde english script is ugly?  It's traditional - a variation on uniforms the Sox have been wearing for most of their existence.  Besides, media types love the Yankees with their pinstripes and logo.  why are the Sox any different?

Ugly ballpark?  Ten years ago that might have been a valid argument, but now?  Renovations since then have made The Cell one of the nicest, cleanest (unlike their North side counterparts), and in my opinion, (and I have been been to about half of the major league stadiums) one of the best baseball-watching facilities around.  Ugly ballparks - I'd call Tropicana Field, the Metrodome, and Shea Stadium ugly - but not The Cell.  It's really changed.  You should visit it.  It doesn't have the saloon atmosphere that Wrigley has, but I think that works in its favor.  No stupid drunk frat boys pissing in the middle of the street, and it has plenty of parking - something in Boston I'm told is something one can appreciate.

Ugly name?  True, U.S. Cellular Field doesn't have the ring that Comiskey Park has, but in this age of corporation-sponsored naming deals, there's not many parks that do have GREAT names.  Citizens Bank Ballpark, Comerica Park, Petco Field, Network Associates Colisseum - all bad.  And truthfully, if you think about it, besides that bs-phrase of "tradition", what makes the word "Wrigley" or "Fenway" a great name?

I don't have a problem with you (or many other "experts" for that matter) thinking the Sox's success won't last or picking them not to make the playoffs (btw, didn't you pick the Sox to win the AL Central?)  That too is opinion, but one based on facts.  But making broad generalizations that I feel are untrue is really uncalled for.  Why are the White Sox (whose streak of not winning the World Series is longer than any other team in baseball besides the Cubs) generally maligned in the media?  I don't know.  Maybe because they're not "the lovable losers" or that they don't hang their failures on a "curse" of some sort.  I don't know, but I'm hoping winning cures all these issues.  I don't remember the same disgust shown by the media when they were winning divisions in the early 90's in the same ballaprk, with the same uni's.

Thank you for your time,

Kjell Hilding

Los Angeles, CA

Nice. :gosox3:

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 12, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Okay, why are Sox fans such sluts for the national media?  'f*** espn, I don't care what espn says, screw espn' -- then in a chat, asking 'Why don't you like us?'

LOSE the inferiority complex, ask INTERESTING questions...

I liken the White Sox to all the lesser known and unknown celebrity brothers. Jeremy Giambi, Frank Stallone, Eric Roberts, Michael Garciaparra. except in the case of the White Sox, Jeremy Giambi could hit 50 HRs and Jason Giambi would still get all the press.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ May 12, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
here's my e-mail to him.  btw, his email address is [email protected]

"Look, the White Sox wear ugly uniforms in an ugly ballpark with an ugly name, and the truth is that it's just not easy to like them."

Rob,

First of all - ouch.  Did you really say this in a chat?  I don't want to flame you - but I feel that kind of comment goes beyond "expert analysis."  Whether or not they're a fluke, or if their hot streak will or won't last is up for discussion (as you go on to say later in your response) but starting with that kind of quote just seems mean-spirited and wrong.

Ugly uniforms?  Black and white pinstripes with the S-O-X in olde english script is ugly?  It's traditional - a variation on uniforms the Sox have been wearing for most of their existence.  Besides, media types love the Yankees with their pinstripes and logo.  why are the Sox any different?

Ugly ballpark?  Ten years ago that might have been a valid argument, but now?  Renovations since then have made The Cell one of the nicest, cleanest (unlike their North side counterparts), and in my opinion, (and I have been been to about half of the major league stadiums) one of the best baseball-watching facilities around.  Ugly ballparks - I'd call Tropicana Field, the Metrodome, and Shea Stadium ugly - but not The Cell.  It's really changed.  You should visit it.  It doesn't have the saloon atmosphere that Wrigley has, but I think that works in its favor.  No stupid drunk frat boys pissing in the middle of the street, and it has plenty of parking - something in Boston I'm told is something one can appreciate.

Ugly name?  True, U.S. Cellular Field doesn't have the ring that Comiskey Park has, but in this age of corporation-sponsored naming deals, there's not many parks that do have GREAT names.  Citizens Bank Ballpark, Comerica Park, Petco Field, Network Associates Colisseum - all bad.  And truthfully, if you think about it, besides that bs-phrase of "tradition", what makes the word "Wrigley" or "Fenway" a great name?

I don't have a problem with you (or many other "experts" for that matter) thinking the Sox's success won't last or picking them not to make the playoffs (btw, didn't you pick the Sox to win the AL Central?)  That too is opinion, but one based on facts.  But making broad generalizations that I feel are untrue is really uncalled for.  Why are the White Sox (whose streak of not winning the World Series is longer than any other team in baseball besides the Cubs) generally maligned in the media?  I don't know.  Maybe because they're not "the lovable losers" or that they don't hang their failures on a "curse" of some sort.  I don't know, but I'm hoping winning cures all these issues.  I don't remember the same disgust shown by the media when they were winning divisions in the early 90's in the same ballaprk, with the same uni's.

Thank you for your time,

Kjell Hilding

Los Angeles, CA

Well Put.

I like all these cracks on the stadium. Uh, when was the last time you were there? Did you know they invested the royalities from the naming rights back into the stadium? $60 or $80 million (i don't remember the exact figure). Alot has changed since since its opening. I'm sick of these guys and their pissing match over Boston, the Yanks, & the Chubbies.

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ May 12, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
I like all these cracks on the stadium.  Uh, when was the last time you were there?  Did you know they invested the royalities from the naming rights back into the stadium?  $60 or $80 million (i don't remember the exact figure).  Alot has changed since since its opening.  I'm sick of these guys and their pissing match over Boston, the Yanks, & the Chubbies.

Those comments make me laugh the most.. it's like arguing with a 2 year old who's final comment is always.... "oh yea....... well... I'm tellin mom".

QUOTE(Steff @ May 12, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Those comments make me laugh the most.. it's like arguing with a 2 year old who's final comment is always.... "oh yea....... well... I'm tellin mom".

That's what makes it so frustrating. These national figures have no clue what's going on. Rob, pull your head out of your ass & write like a grown up!

Edited by IndplsSoxFan

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ May 12, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
That's what makes it so frustrating.  These national figures have no clue what's going on.  Rob, pull your head out of your ass & write like a grown up!

Eh.. don't let it frustrate ya. In the end they are the one that look like fools. :lol:

Unfortunately, most people do not think for themselves. This is why Sox bashing frustrates me. Enough people will read that kind of garbage and think: well, if a guy who is an expert thinks so, it must be true. It's a lot easier to go with what's popular than to try to figure out what you really enjoy for yourself.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

What kind of "analyst" rips uniforms? I love our uniforms- the home and the alternate. And even Chris Berman (the guy who said White Sox fans are the worst in baseball) said the stadium looks much better.

I don't mind when an analyst argues a point about the way they are playing. But whats the point of ripping the organization and team as a whole?

I love this- we are 25-9 and most critics can't stand it! Keep on winning boys!

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 12, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Unfortunately, most people do not think for themselves. This is why Sox bashing frustrates me. Enough people will read that kind of garbage and think: well, if a guy who is an expert thinks so, it must be true. It's a lot easier to go with what's popular than to try to figure out what you really enjoy for yourself.

When I started forking over my own $$ for season tickets I used to think this way and it used to piss me off to no end hearing people say "why would you bother to waste your $$ going to that crime filled neighborhood to watch that s***ty team..."

A good 6 years it took before I let it go. I agree a lot of folks don't bother to experience Comiskey for themselves and just listen to the news and other idots like Jay who don't go (or in Jay's case aren't allowed.. :lol: ). But then I think.. "hey.. better off without those fairweather assholes". This weekend will be a good test. 80K bought tickets to boo Sosa (and they called ME stupid for spending my $$... :rolly ) hopefully they will still come and enjoy themselves. And if not... I have no problem with that either since we got their $$ either way. :P

QUOTE(Steff @ May 12, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
When I started forking over my own $$ for season tickets I used to think this way and it used to piss me off to no end hearing people say "why would you bother to waste your $$ going to that crime filled neighborhood to watch that s***ty team..."

A good 6 years it took before I let it go. I agree a lot of folks don't bother to experience Comiskey for themselves and just listen to the news and other idots like Jay who don't go (or in Jay's case aren't allowed..  :lol: ). But then I think.. "hey.. better off without those fairweather assholes". This weekend will be a good test. 80K bought tickets to boo Sosa (and they called ME stupid for spending my $$...  :rolly ) hopefully they will still come and enjoy themselves. And if not... I have no problem with that either since we got their $$ either way.  :P

I hear ya, unfortunately, fair weather fan's and tourist's $$ can add up at the box office. I'm not one of the whiners, I only bring it up here cuz we're among Sox fans. I'm aloof to it outside of this board.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 12, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
I hear ya, unfortunately, fair weather fan's and tourist's $$ can add up at the box office.  I'm not one of the whiners, I only bring it up here cuz we're among Sox fans. I'm aloof to it outside of this board.

For the reason alone that we do not rely on tourist and fairweather fan $$ to support this team is where I thank God Jerry and Co run this team. Any other team who DID depend on that revenue and didn't know how to make it work without it would be so far in debt the team would go under. There is a method to the madness of how they spend... :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ May 12, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
For the reason alone that we do not rely on tourist and fairweather fan $$ to support this team is where I thank God Jerry and Co run this team. Any other team who DID depend on that revenue and didn't know how to make it work without it would be so far in debt the team would go under. There is a method to the madness of how they spend... :ph34r:

...not to open up the whole JR is a cheap bastard who doesn't want to win debate, but, it's one thing to run a team and not make it go broke and another to run it to win the WS. I do see your point though Steff.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 12, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
...not to open up the whole JR is a cheap bastard who doesn't want to win debate, but, it's one thing to run a team and not make it go broke and another to run it to win the WS. I do see your point though Steff.

I agree with you, and I do see both sides of the coin. That's what frustrates me most about this team. :banghead

Folks - I wrote to Mr Neyer and I got a response from him too. At least he responded, which is good. But he definitely did not like my mail it seems. Please find my mail and response below:

=======================

Hi Rob

I do not even know where to start. Clearly you hate the White Sox. I understand that since you are a Royals fan. I would hate every other MLB team if I was a Royals fan too. I guess given all of the other incompetent baseball analysis ESPN provides these days, finding an objective baseball writer at ESPN is probably an exercise in futility.

I do not get how you can call the White Sox a "talentless team" when they have the best pitching in all of baseball as of today. Now, that may change down the line, but the #s speak for themselves for Garland, Buerhle, Garcia, El Duque and even the Count.

The Sox may not have overpaid prima donnas like Alex Rodriguez or Sammy Sosa or have any "previously juiced up" overpaid players like Jason Giambi, but they play the game as a team. One would think with all of the "me first" crap going on in sports these days, this would be refreshing, but it is obviously not to you.

The Sox's hitting is not great, no doubt there, but you do know they will only get better (look at career avg #s for Konerko or Dye and remember Frank Thomas will get back at some point).

What really surprises me though is that you picked the Sox to win the division before the year started, unlike the clueless Harold Reynolds, Peter Gammons, John Kruk and all of the other "know it all analysts".

None of your commentary bothers me since it will not affect how the Sox play down the line, but I thought you should "enlighten" yourselves with facts about a game you are paid to follow.

Hope you have a nice day.

Just a White Sox fan

=======================

Lord, can you get more sensitive. Just one point, and then I hope our contact will end: I never said the White Sox were “talentless” (which you put in quotes because I used the word, or so you apparently think). Get a grip, man. You must have something more productive to do with your time. -rn

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 12, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Lord, can you get more sensitive. Just one point, and then I hope our contact will end: I never said the White Sox were “talentless” (which you put in quotes because I used the word, or so you apparently think). Get a grip, man. You must have something more productive to do with your time. -rn

LMAO.. if that aint the pot calling the kettle black. He b****es about our uniforms and stadium and he has the nerve to take a shot at your time management skills..

What an idiot. :lol:

I've never heard the silver & black, white & black of the White Sox being called ugly before. In fact I've heard those uniforms & the lettering & the hats being praised many times over. Not just by baseball fans but even those who make music videos were the Sox apparel routinely finds it's way into the scene.

As for a 40% chance, please. That's ridiculous.

Yes the White Sox have the Twins to deal with but they do own a 4-1 season series lead vs them. They have the record to prove they can beat the rest of the ALC by a good margin in the W-L dept.

As for the other 3 get real. Halladay is clearly back & Batista has rejuvenated the Blue Jays. They certainly look like a better than .500 club this year. Then you have the Red Sox & Yankees. It's w/out question one of the toughest divisions in baseball & that means they'll be knocking each other off.

It's simple mathematics. With it being essentially a two-team rest in a 5 team division the White Sox & Twins have better odds at winning the wild card than a team from the ALE.

I won't go out on a limb & say the White Sox will win the division because the Twinkees are playing just as good right now. But I will say I believe that both of these teams have just as good a chance to make the post season as any other team in the AL.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ May 12, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
Folks - I wrote to Mr Neyer and I got a response from him too. At least he responded, which is good. But he definitely did not like my mail it seems. Please find my mail and response below:

=======================

Hi Rob

I do not even know where to start. Clearly you hate the White Sox. I understand that since you are a Royals fan. I would hate every other MLB team if I was a Royals fan too. I guess given all of the other incompetent baseball analysis ESPN provides these days, finding an objective baseball writer at ESPN is probably an exercise in futility.

I do not get how you can call the White Sox a "talentless team" when they have the best pitching in all of baseball as of today. Now, that may change down the line, but the #s speak for themselves for Garland, Buerhle, Garcia, El Duque and even the Count.

The Sox may not have overpaid prima donnas like Alex Rodriguez or Sammy Sosa or have any "previously juiced up" overpaid players like Jason Giambi, but they play the game as a team. One would think with all of the "me first" crap going on in sports these days, this would be refreshing, but it is obviously not to you.

The Sox's hitting is not great, no doubt there, but you do know they will only get better (look at career avg #s for Konerko or Dye and remember Frank Thomas will get back at some point).

What really surprises me though is that you picked the Sox to win the division before the year started, unlike the clueless Harold Reynolds, Peter Gammons, John Kruk and all of the other "know it all analysts".

None of your commentary bothers me since it will not affect how the Sox play down the line, but I thought you should "enlighten" yourselves with facts about a game you are paid to follow.

Hope you have a nice day.

Just a White Sox fan

=======================

Interesting that he replied to your rant and not to mine. Apparently, I must have spoke too much truth for him to handle. And about being sensitive, I don't think we're being sensitive. Ugly unis, ugly stadium, ugly name - dem's fightin' words. I just that we wanted to point out the double standard that exists between our Sox and bandwagon teams like New York, Boston, and the Cubs.

and for the record, I don't believe that he's a Royals fan. hasn't he written three books on the Boston Red Sox?