XBox 360

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
Yes. That 299$ is pure s***. No reason to buy it. Looks like Microsoft will be the only company still using cords. The 399$ is way to expensive for a gaming system. It's bad enough they make you pay to play games online. Also, for whatever reason, the idiots over at Mircrooft decided to skip out on Wi-Fi.

I am dissapointed in Microsoft. They had everything going to take the market share lead for next-gen(God knows it won't be Sony and their 1000$ PS3). Now they go ahead and screwed this up. I was interested in buying one, but I'm skipping out.

Right now I'm going to stick with the Revolution. It should be about 200-250$. Free, dedicated online play. 100% Wireless. Wi-Fi enabled. And the best thing ever on a video game system: every Nintendo game ever is comes available with the Revolution(Yes, all NES games, SNES games, N64 games. and GameCube games).

I don't think $399 is too much. But I'm rich.

I don't see the 'every nintendo' game as being that great. There is a reason new consoles come out...the old ones get stale. Let me give you an example. I recently bought a Sega Master System. I was all excited to buy some of the games I used to have..and blah, blah, blah...needless to say, its sitting there collecting dust.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
I heard PS3 would be around $500...of course, that was early speculation.

I don't think its ridiculous at all...the previous generation of consoles started at $299.  Gamecube was cheaper, but inferior.

When nintendo came out, they forced all of the other consoles to lower their prices to compete. It may have been inferior(and i love my Gamecube), but it sold like crazy when it came out a full 100 dollars cheaper buyers noticed.

It all comes down to what the manufacturers want to do:

1. Start high, and lower the prices as the market dictates

2. Start low, force the markets to adjust to you(assuming your product can compete) and take away business from the competitors through cheaper pricing.

Nintendo went the with #2 when Gamecube came out, and while they havent enjoyed the fanfare of PS2, and the awesome success of Halo + Halo2, they competed the whole time, and hardly showed any signs of slowing down. Pretty good considering many critics said Gamecube was the downfall of Nintendo.

im really interested in the upcoming console wars though, this is a extremely different animal than what we are used to. this is going to be 3 top of the line consoles going head to head at the same time. PS1, Dreamcast, Xbox, N64, Gamecube, PS2, they all came out at different times. Its gonna be pretty cool to see the different approaches to marketing.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
When nintendo came out, they forced all of the other consoles to lower their prices to compete.  It may have been inferior(and i love my Gamecube), but it sold like crazy when it came out a full 100 dollars cheaper buyers noticed. 

It all comes down to what the manufacturers want to do:

1. Start high, and lower the prices as the market dictates

2. Start low, force the markets to adjust to you(assuming your product can compete) and take away business from the competitors through cheaper pricing.

Nintendo went the with #2 when Gamecube came out, and while they havent enjoyed the fanfare of PS2, and the awesome success of Halo + Halo2, they competed the whole time, and hardly showed any signs of slowing down.  Pretty good considering many critics said Gamecube was the downfall of Nintendo. 

im really interested in the upcoming console wars though, this is a extremely different animal than what we are used to.   this is going to be 3 top of the line consoles going head to head at the same time.  PS1, Dreamcast, Xbox, N64, Gamecube, PS2, they all came out at different times.  Its gonna be pretty cool to see the different approaches to marketing.

I actually got the Gamecube the night it came out, since it was teh cheapest...but after a few months of having it, but without any games to play...I sold it and got an X. I have owned and played all consoles and have only kept my XBOX. I was called a fanboy earlier in this thread and I did turn into one. It all comes down to how good the games are.

I am looking forward to the new consoles and I hope they all are good and all have something to offer. Than I'll buy them all and get even fatter.

Edited by tonyho7476

Free, dedicated online play.

What part is gonna be free?

It's already been stated that the old games are gonna cost us.

I'm excited about the idea of playing a lot of those old games, and if I choose to buy a system I do believe it will be a Revolution, but I do agree that the nostalgia is going to wear out pretty fast. It'll be the great new games that Nintendo is famous for that'll be their main weapon. I just hope the graphics hold up to the other systems.

Some other things announced at the Lepskrieg Gaming Conference(basically, just think e3):

-Mircosofts conference was just about the X-Box 360 and all the pricing and details and things, we knew that.

-I don't believe Sony had a conference, as they will be putting their resources towards TGS(Which both the PS3 and X360 will be playable at, for the first time).

-Game Boy Micro priced at 99$ and will release September 19th.

-New color GameCube coming out(White, heard it looks really nice). It will come bundeled with Super Mario Strikers, although that may be in Europe only.

-UbiSoft pledges support for the Revolution.

-Zelda: Twilight Princess delayed until 2006.

Also, Nintendo will also be finally announcing details about its Revolutionary and innovating controller in the next week or 2. I'm interested to see what it is.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
What part is gonna be free?

It's already been stated that the old games are gonna cost us.

I'm excited about the idea of playing a lot of those old games, and if I choose to buy a system I do believe it will be a Revolution, but I do agree that the nostalgia is going to wear out pretty fast.  It'll be the great new games that Nintendo is famous for that'll be their main weapon.  I just hope the graphics hold up to the other systems.

The free part will be be playing the games online(basically, an equivalent to X-Box live, except free).

EDIT: Also, Nintendo hinted at be able to play older games online, once you download them of course. That would be interesting.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
It better not be ridiculous...

I thought they would come up with some horrible, unplayable thing with the controller(I mean, It's Nintendo, makers of the Virtual Boy). But apparantly UbiSoft announced big plans for the Revolution today, so it can't be all that bad. Plus, they tried it with the handheld department, and that did wonders for them.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
It better not be ridiculous...

Im excited. I am a sucker for the classic nintendo games, and the newer versions of the classics. the only Zelda I didnt own was Majoras Mask and thats because my roomate had it.

Right now I'm going to stick with the Revolution. It should be about 200-250$. Free, dedicated online play. 100% Wireless. Wi-Fi enabled. And the best thing ever on a video game system: every Nintendo game ever is comes available with the Revolution(Yes, all NES games, SNES games, N64 games. and GameCube games).

Im with you, Im pumped about the revolution. Im gonna make my first download "Romance of the three Kingdoms" and my second download will be "Final Fantasy 3"

2 games that super nintendo stopped me from finishing. ;)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Im excited.  I am a sucker for the classic nintendo games, and the newer versions of the classics.  the only Zelda I didnt own was Majoras Mask and thats because my roomate had it.

I am too.

I just meant the controller.

The way they're keeping it a secret makes me a bit nervous. It better not be anything like Virtua Boy or the Power Glove...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
I am too.

I just meant the controller.

The way they're keeping it a secret makes me a bit nervous.  It better not be anything like Virtua Boy or the Power Glove...

What? How can you be so down on the coolest thing that came out of the movie "The Wizard"?

What a colossal ripoff that was. It wasnt applicable to any games, and the ones it did work for, werent worth it. Almost as bad as the running pad for the Olympic World Games.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
400 dollars is pretty steep, regardless of the package. I know Sony and Nintendo are going to have smaller pricetags than that. Its always bad to come out with your stuff first.  Gates has to start realizing the difference in Game Consoles and PCs.  People need PCs for work, organization, etc. therefore the pricetags he slaps on his software is somewhat justified.  But Gaming Consoles are pure entertainment, and on top of that they are cheaper within a year and out of date in 2 years.

Sony is supposed to be at a minimum of 500 and I've heard some people say it could be higher.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 03:31 AM)
For anyone who knows, will I be able to transfer my memory from X-Box (say, saved Rosters, Dynasties, and Settings) to X-Box 360?

To play X-Box(Not 360 games) games, I would assume so. But I believe I heard the 360 will be limited backwards-compatable wise. Not sure what that exactly meant, but I'm assuming you might not be able to play all original X-Box games on the 360.