Tim Kurkjian's underachievers...

Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 12, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Konerko and Dye.  He said that Konerko's power numbers are still good so he isn't completely killing the team like Dead is.

He's dead on right about that. If Kong would start playing like it's his contract year (which it is ) and Dead would just stir in his coffin a little we'd be totally untouchable.

No suprise. Dye probably would've avoided the list if he would just play the defense he's capable of, but he's not even doing that. Kong is scoring in buches, so his power numbers are a bit deceiving.

Yep, Kurkjian made sure to note Dead's bad defense this season.

Edited by Jabroni

Ozzie can't continue with these 2 clowns in the 4 and 5 hole much longer. Its time to move them down in the order until they start to hit. Konerko did have a big hit Wednesday, but they have been few and far between lately. Dye has just been brutal. Keep Rowand 3rd, have Everett bat clean-up, put either AJ or Crede 5th, the other one 6th, Konerko 7th and Dye, if he must play 8th. Or even move Uribe to the 5 hole. He appears to be ready to go on a real hot streak now.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 13, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
Its like I said before.  If both or even one of these guys gets it going the rest of the leauge wont be able to touch us.

And they will "get going". They are too good not to.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 13, 2005 -> 03:47 AM)
He's dead on right about that.  If Kong would start playing like it's his contract year (which it is ) and Dead would just stir in his coffin a little we'd be totally untouchable.

if Garland would show Death and Palsy how he located his own scrotum, they'd be well on their way.

You have to give Konerko a break though, he's hit quite a few balls and they've been snagged, and they've robbed him of at least another 10 hits or so. Whenever he gets in a funk, all of his smash hits get caught...so his funks continue.....that's a bad break for him.

I've been giving Konerko his fair share of criticism this year myself. At this point he is too inconsistent for the cleanup role. I really want to see him turn it around and become the player he was last year, not only because he's killing my fantasy team with the long stretches between productivity but because with his power it makes the Sox all that more dangerous.

However, unlike 2003 his batting this year shows that he's one or two breaks from turning it around. It hasn't happened yet and no one knows when it will, but if he keeps doing what he's doing I am confident things will get better for him, and hence the Sox and my fantasy team.

2003: in 137 games and 444 at-bats, Pauly took 43 walks and had 50 Ks, with only 18 HR and a total of 37 extra base hits.

2004: in 155 games and 563 at-bats, Pauly took 69 walks and 107 Ks, with 41 HR and a total of 63 extra base hits.

2005: in 35 games and 122 at-bats, Pauly has taken 20 walks and has 30 Ks, with 9 HR and a total of 13 extra base hits.

What I see from these stats is that Pauly is still as patient at the plate as he was in 2004 (BB), but is still as aggressive if not moreso (30 K in 35 games). In 2003 he was tentative and passive at the plate, as evidenced by the few BB and K (as well as the decreased power numbers), comparatively.

He may be stretching a bit because of the few hits he's gotten, but overall I think he's still on the right track. As I've mentioned before, May is Pauly's bad month so this is typical for him. What happened to him from mid-April to the end of April is a bit of an aberration. When May comes to a close (when it gets warmer) I fully expect Pauly to be on the verge of breaking out of this prolonged slump, if he hasn't by then.

As long as we're consistently winning, we have the luxury of letting Pauly reacquire his "hotness". Once it becomes a game-breaking liability then it's time to take action.

Um why is Rowand exempt and people want him to bat in the 3 slot??? The guy has been major suckitude on offense just like PK and Dye. He should be moved down too. I say make it:

LF-Podsednik

2B-Iguchi

DH-Everett

C-Piersynski(I don't give a damn about HR's, I'm just trying to get the runner over)

SS-Uribe

3B-Crede

1B-Konerko

RF-Dye

CF-Rowand

Shake PK, Arow and Dye up. It lets them know that if they don't perform, they'll slip off the list. Heck, I'd never play those 3 together until they all get hot. One day I might bench Dye or ARow for Ozuna and Timo.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 13, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Um why is Rowand exempt and people want him to bat in the 3 slot??? The guy has been major suckitude on offense just like PK and Dye. He should be moved down too. I say make it:

LF-Podsednik

2B-Iguchi

DH-Everett

C-Piersynski(I don't give a damn about HR's, I'm just trying to get the runner over)

SS-Uribe

3B-Crede

1B-Konerko

RF-Dye

CF-Rowand

Shake PK, Arow and Dye up. It lets them know that if they don't perform, they'll slip off the list. Heck, I'd never play those 3 together until they all get hot. One day I might bench Dye or ARow for Ozuna.

Uhh you say "I'd never play those 3 together until they all get hot", but then you turn around and put them in the 7, 8, and 9 positions, creating probably the wettest dream for any pitcher out there. The bottom-of-the-order black hole.

I say:

LF-Podsednik

2B-Iguchi

1B-Konerko

DH-Everett

SS-Uribe

C-Piersynski

3B-Crede

CF-Rowand

RF-Dye

Speed at the top, Pauly in the 3, Everett cleanup with protection by Uribe. I'd prefer Crede to be a bit better with the bat in the 7 but I want him after AJ.

Roward thrived when he was batting 2nd last year but with Pods and Gooch, you HAVE to play them 1-2, and he is not good enough for the 3 or 4 spot at this point. If Pauly and Carl fail, Uribe should keep things going and AJ is good enough that he could hit a deep one or get a runner or two in if it gets that far. if not he could be good leading off or batting 2nd in the next inning.

It's possible I'd flip-flop Crede and Rowand, but at least Crede is a more viable 3rd inning lead off than Rowand or Dye at this point.

I love seeing Rowand bat 3rd. I would not put Rowand at the 9th spot, he's coming around. He'd lose an at bat a game basically there.

My lineup would be:

Podsednik

Iguchi

Rowand

Everett

Konerko

Dye

Pierzinski

Crede

Uribe

Just moving them back from 4 and 5 to 5 and 6. If that doesn't work, then bring in someone off the bench.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 13, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
I love seeing Rowand bat 3rd. I would not put Rowand at the 9th spot, he's coming around. He'd lose an at bat a game basically there.

My lineup would be:

Podsednik

Iguchi

Rowand

Everett

Konerko

Dye

Pierzinski

Crede

Uribe

Just moving them back from 4 and 5 to 5 and 6. If that doesn't work, then bring in someone off the bench.

You got it. That's the line up I'd go with as of the moment.

QUOTE(BuehrleTheAce @ May 13, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
Uhh you say "I'd never play those 3 together until they all get hot", but then you turn around and put them in the 7, 8, and 9 positions, creating probably the wettest dream for any pitcher out there. The bottom-of-the-order black hole.

I say:

LF-Podsednik

2B-Iguchi

1B-Konerko

DH-Everett

SS-Uribe

C-Piersynski

3B-Crede

CF-Rowand

RF-Dye

Speed at the top, Pauly in the 3, Everett cleanup with protection by Uribe. I'd prefer Crede to be a bit better with the bat in the 7 but I want him after AJ.

I meant that's where they would bat while they're in the lineup. Leave their subs in that spot too. Sorry, I didn't break it down enough for you. PK can't bat third because he grounds into way too many DP's. I think he led the league last year. 3 is too high for him. His batting average doesn't warrant it either. He's getting his RBI in bunches(just like our offense for the past couple of years).

My lineup would be:

Podsednik

Iguchi

Rowand

Everett

Konerko

Dye

Pierzinski

Crede

Uribe

Anyway, stop with the Rowand at 3rd. He clearly isn't good enough(not talking about only you in particular) right now. I don't give a damn if he's a nice guy or he signed your t-shirt at Soxfest. Put him were his #'s say he should be. That's at the bottom of the order.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 13, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
I meant that's where they would bat while they're in the lineup. Leave their subs in that spot too. Sorry, I didn't break it down enough for you. PK can't bat third because he grounds into way too many DP's. I think he led the league last year. 3 is too high for him. His batting average doesn't warrant it either. He's getting his RBI in bunches(just like our offense for the past couple of years).

Anyway, stop with the Rowand at 3rd. He clearly isn't good enough(not talking about only you in particular) right now. I don't give a damn if he's a nice guy or he signed your t-shirt at Soxfest. Put him were his #'s say he should be. That's at the bottom of the order.

The thing is, even when Pauly is smoking the ball, he still grounds into his share of DPs because he's slower than a turtle. With him you take the bad with the good. Pauly needs to be 3, 4, or 5 (only when there are 2 better hitters in the lineup), he deserves that kind of recognition. Again, since the White Sox are winning. If they stumble and Pauly could've won the games, then perhaps he should be dropped lower.