5/13/05 Game Thread - Sox's vs O's Part 2

DBAHO

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 13, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Great job closing it out by Hermy.

Also thought it was funny that AJ jokingly pushed around Crede when they were high fiving eachother at the end of the game.

I think it's because he almost bowled-over PK on that ast pop-up. Funny s***....but also proves AJ is NOT a cancer and that team chemistry RAWKS!

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 13, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
On the radio, they just said that the Oriole's we're questioning the height of the mound and the umps we're checking it out.

He should just shut-up. Bossard knows what he's doing, we won, MB is ok, it's all good. Shhhhhhhhh Ozzie...

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 13, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
On the radio, they just said that the Oriole's we're questioning the height of the mound and the umps we're checking it out.

MB and Hermy did ok with it so what the hell is the problem. If they want to review something look at the tapes from a few of their calls against MB.

Goofy zone tonight. Wasn't consistent on either side and all you cna ask for is consistency. I think Buehrle will go to the ASG but the better question is if Hermanson will get consideration. I guess it depends on how long the streak lasts since his save number will be solid but not league leading when it comes time to select. If it were up to me, I'd take Garland-Hermanson-Buehrle for the game at this very moment and likely snub Pods (usual crowded OF) but I'd give Gooch a long look though Sori will win the fan vote. The one thing that can hurt Herm and Buehlre is not having too many sox but having too many sox pitchrs. It could be hard to get three on a staff

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 13, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
Goofy zone tonight. Wasn't consistent on either side and all you cna ask for is consistency. I think Buehrle will go to the ASG but the better question is if Hermanson will get consideration. I guess it depends on how long the streak lasts since his save number will be solid but not league leading when it comes time to select. If it were up to me, I'd take Garland-Hermanson-Buehrle for the game at this very moment and likely snub Pods (usual crowded OF) but I'd give Gooch a long look though Sori will win the fan vote. The one thing that can hurt Herm and Buehlre is not having too many sox but having too many sox pitchrs. It could be hard to get three on a staff

Even though I still think Soriano will win the fan vote, there could be a lot of Japanese people voting for Iguchi.

Even though I still think Soriano will win the fan vote, there could be a lot of Japanese people voting for Iguchi.

Agreed, but this is just a bad year for Iguchi to make it. If Brian Roberts wasn't having a career year, I would say Iguchi could almost be a lock with Soriano.

QUOTE(BuehrleTheAce @ May 13, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Oh yea, big time so far. Some base runners by virtue of 4 hits and 1 walk, but as usual no one can get them over.

As usual? Seems to me that we've been very good about "getting them over". That's why we are playing at .750 clip.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 14, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
As usual?  Seems to me that we've been very good about "getting them over".  That's why we are playing at .750 clip.

The White Sox are hitting .237 with runners in scoring position. We have scored the American League Average in runs scored though, although this was the AVG thru game of the 11th.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 14, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
The White Sox are hitting .237 with runners in scoring position. We have scored the American League Average in runs scored though, although this was the AVG thru game of the 11th.

I'm not talking batting average with runners in scoring position. I'm talking about productive outs. Sac bunts, sac flies, hitting behind the runner, etc.

Some other good stats that I should point out;

BABIP (Batting average on Balls in Play) - .283

Outs - 874. Most teams are in the higher 800's or low 900's.

Jermaine Dye - BA/RISP - .095

Paul Konerko - BA/RISP - .184

Aaron Rowand - BA/RISP - .385

Leading Runs Created player - Joe Crede with 17. The lowest of our starters would be Pierzynski with 8 and Dye with 6.

Scott Podsednik has hit 2.4 groundballs for 1 flyball. IIRC, this was a major problem for him in Milwaulkee last season.

Chris Widger is the leading Gross Production Average player at .305. Next best is Joe Crede with .269.

Paul Konerko has a 19% chance of hitting a home run every fly ball.

RC - Runs Created. Invented by Bill James, RC is a very good measure of the number of runs a batter truly contributed to his team’s offense. The basic formula for RC is OBP*TB, but it has evolved into over fourteen different versions. We use the most complicated version, which includes the impact of hitting well with runners in scoring position, and is adjusted for ballpark impact.

GPA - Gross Production Average, a variation of OPS, but more accurate and easier to interpret. The exact formula is (OBP*1.8+SLG)/4, adjusted for ballpark factor. The scale of GPA is similar to BA: .200 is lousy, .265 is around average and .300 is a star.

I'm not talking batting average with runners in scoring position.  I'm talking about productive outs.  Sac bunts, sac flies, hitting behind the runner, etc.

Exactly. Podsednik could probably be hitting .280 to .300 right now if he wasn't sac'ing guys over so much.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 14, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
I'm not talking batting average with runners in scoring position.  I'm talking about productive outs.  Sac bunts, sac flies, hitting behind the runner, etc.

Yeah I know. Unfortunately they don't really record those small things as stats, which is annoying because the Sox would be right up there on those things, so that's why I put forward BA/RISP instead, because it's probably the closest thing to it I guess.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 14, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
Exactly.  Podsednik could probably be hitting .280 to .300 right now if he wasn't sac'ing guys over so much.

But I don't care about his BA that much. Right now he has an OBP of .380. That's absolutely huge. 18 runs in 107 AB's as well, so he's scoring about 17% of the time he gets on base as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 14, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
Yeah I know. Unfortunately they don't really record those small things as stats, which is annoying because the Sox would be right up there on those things, so that's why I put forward BA/RISP instead, because it's probably the closest thing to it I guess.

That's an example of why stats don't tell the whole story. If you looked at our offensive stats alone, you'd think we were an under .500 ball team. The media can say what they want, but this pitching, defense, speed, smartball stuff is working like a charm.

But I don't care about his BA that much. Right now he has an OBP of .380. That's absolutely huge. 18 runs in 107 AB's as well, so he's scoring about 17% of the time he gets on base as well.

Oh, of course I agree. Pods' AVG means very little compared to his OBP. His job is to get on base for our boppers and he has been doing it well. He has 20 BB's and only 10 K's in 107 AB's.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 14, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Oh, of course I agree.  Pods' AVG means very little compared to his OBP.  His job is to get on base for our boppers and he has been doing it well.  He has 20 BB's and only 10 K's in 107 AB's.

Isn't that a wonderful stat, 20 BB's and 10 K's.

And in easier terms here's what I meant before. He's got on base 40.66 times out of 107 AB's. So he's scored 18 times out of 41, that's around 45% of the time he gets on base, he scores.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 14, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
Isn't that a wonderful stat, 20 BB's and 10 K's.

And in easier terms here's what I meant before. He's got on base 40.66 times out of 107 AB's. So he's scored 18 times out of 41, that's around 45% of the time he gets on base, he scores.

I'm not going on a stat hunt, but are you figuring AB's or PA's?