SOX All-Stars

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(TheDybber @ May 13, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
If they are going to have Paul and his Mendoza line batting average, then they should have Pods and his 17 steals.  That is the most ridiculous projection I've ever seen.

Paul Konerko is getting props because he's tied for the team lead in RBI's, has 9 home runs, and was BADLY screwed out of an all-star spot last year in favor of Giambi. Harold Reynolds was doing the same thing on BBTN the other night.

I'd say that Francona probably won't pick him if he doesn't get his average up, but at least people are noticing how badly they screwed him last year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 13, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Yea, but Soriano has the American and Latin vote. Just the way it is. Soriano will get voted in and Francona will oversee Iguchi unless Roberts slows down drastically.

Oversee?

You mean overlook, right?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 13, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Does anyone else think Roberts and Soriano should be the second-baseman respresentatives before Iguchi anyway? :ph34r:

If Roberts keeps this up, he should be an all-star no question. He's putting up numbers like Uribe put up the first 2 months last year.

I don't know about Soriano. I've never really liked him as a player, and a lot of other people don't either. He hits a lot of home runs, but has never been great on defense. Iguchi is hitting like 40 points better than him right now and plays much better defense - Soriano already has 6 errors. Iguchi has 1. Their OPS is almost the same, which means Iguchi's OBP is also much higher.

I'd call it a toss-up between the two, barring a power surge by Iguchi, which could still happen.

Top American League 2nd Basemen

Name             Avg HR RBI Runs SB
Brian Roberts   .381 10 30   30  12
Alfonso Soriano .285 10 24   27   5
Tadahito Iguchi .328  2 15   16   7
Chone Figgins   .268  2 15   19  12

I'm pretty sure Roberts and Soriano have second base covered.

Soriano has 8 more HRs, 9 more RBIs and 11 more runs than Iguchi.

Iguchi has 40 points higher on his Avg and 2 more stolen bases + better defense.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 13, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Top American League 2nd Basemen

Name             Avg HR RBI Runs SB
Brian Roberts   .381 10 30   30  12
Alfonso Soriano .285 10 24   27   5
Tadahito Iguchi .328  2 15   16   7
Chone Figgins   .268  2 15   19  12

I'm pretty sure Roberts and Soriano have second base covered.

Soriano has 8 more HRs, 9 more RBIs and 11 more runs than Iguchi.

Iguchi has 40 points higher on his Avg and 2 more stolen bases + better defense.

OMFG, how does Roberts have 10 homers?!

I'd realized he had eclipsed his career mark in April, but jeebus, I figured he would not have 10 by now.

That guy is just f***in smokin hot.

Anyways, if we want all-stars from the Sox...how about the entire rotation?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 13, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
OMFG, how does Roberts have 10 homers?! 

I'd realized he had eclipsed his career mark in April, but jeebus, I figured he would not have 10 by now.

That guy is just f***in smokin hot. 

Anyways, if we want all-stars from the Sox...how about the entire rotation?

- Contreras

+ Hermanson

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 13, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
- Contreras

+ Hermanson

Hermanson too of course.

And while Contreras has virtually no shot of becoming an All-Star(the 5th best starting pitcher on a team usually won't be an All-Star), he does have the numbers, right now, of an all-star, minus his win total. 1-0 with a 3.18 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP along with a BAA of under .200 is pretty sick.

Garland, El Duque, and Hermanson (assuming he continues to close our games).

ESPN and alot of others have started to fall in love with MB, so he could be a "sexy" pick.

If we still have such a dominating record, we will have to have more than one or two players.

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ May 13, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
If we still have such a dominating record, we will have to have more than one or two players.

Not true.....See "2004 Cleveland Indians" but then again, that was a bad team with a bunch of All-Stars. But ur probably right, 2001 Mariners had like 3543 all-stars.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 13, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Yea, but Soriano has the American and Latin vote. Just the way it is. Soriano will get voted in and Francona will oversee Iguchi unless Roberts slows down drastically.

I don't know, anybody on the eastern hemisphere with internet access will be voting for Iguchi the max amount of times. same with Ichiro.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 13, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Not true.....See "2004 Cleveland Indians" but then again, that was a bad team with a bunch of All-Stars. But ur probably right, 2001 Mariners had like 3543 all-stars.

Victor Martinez

Ronnie Belliard

Jake Westbrook

There is really no argument against any of those players being all-stars last year

And, in 2000, the Sox had the most wins at the break. They had 3 All-Stars, one of whom was not Frank Thomas, due to it being in an NL park...so in reality, they had 4, because Thomas was an All-Star, he was just not on the All-Star team.

4 All-Stars for the best team in baseball = not a lot

There is no guarantee that we will have a lot. Hell, we were leading the AL Central last year, and we had 1 All-Star, if memory serves correct - that being Esteban Loaiza, and why he was an All-Star still leaves me clueless.

Garland and El Duque and even Buehrle if he gets his ERA down to around 3.00 in his next few starts. Also, Hermanson if he keeps being lights out. I don't think Iguchi will make it with Roberts and Soriano tearing it up. He should definately be the third option though. And we can't forget about Dead...

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 13, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
Iguchi is not an All Star over Soriano or Roberts. The stats don't lie.

Actually, in this case, the stats do lie. How nmany times has Iguchi given himself up to move a runner over, or taken a hittable pitch or two to let Scotty get a read on the pitcher or steal? How many DP's has he turned because he's super quick with that glove to throwingt hand exchange? There is a lot more to playing good baseball than HR, RBI and Slugging pct.