SOX All-Stars

Winnin Ugly

Actually, in this case, the stats do lie.  How nmany times has Iguchi given himself up to move a runner over, or taken a hittable pitch or two to let Scotty get a read on the pitcher or steal?  How many DP's has he turned because he's super quick with that glove to throwingt hand exchange?  There is a lot more to playing good baseball than HR, RBI and Slugging pct.

True, but that stuff doesn't matter much for the All-Star Game; offense does. Soriano is a horrible defensive 2nd baseman but do you think that will stop him from being selected?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 14, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
True, but that stuff doesn't matter much for the All-Star Game; offense does.  Soriano is a horrible defensive 2nd baseman but do you think that will stop him from being selected?

With fans, it doesn't matter. With knowledgable baseball people, like Francona, it should matter. Probably won't, but still...

People forget the All-Star game is as much a popularity contest as anything else.

Garland, Hernandez and Buerhle are all on if they continue at current pace. Hermanson, if he indeed is now our full-time closer, will be there as well, barring a collapse on his part.

Iguchi will not be there unless there is an injury to Roberts or Soriano.

Podsednick and Kong won't be there because their averages suck. No shortage of OFs with all-star numbers.

Varitek and I-Rod/Lopez will have the C spot taken.

SS will be Guillen and likely Jeter will be elected starter.

Amazingly, even with our historic start, I just can't see us getting more than 4 pitchers and no position players on the team.

Edited by ISF

QUOTE(ISF @ May 14, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
People forget the All-Star game is as much a popularity contest as anything else.

Garland, Hernandez and Buerhle are all on if they continue at current pace. Hermanson, if he indeed is now our full-time closer, will be there as well, barring a collapse on his part.

Iguchi will not be there unless there is an injury to Roberts or Soriano.

Podsednick and Kong won't be there because their averages suck. No shortage of OFs with all-star numbers.

Varitek and I-Rod/Lopez will have the C spot taken.

SS will be Guillen and likely Jeter will be elected starter.

Amazingly, even with our historic start, I just can't see us getting more than 4 pitchers and no position players on the team.

Tejada I'm pretty sure will be elected starter despite Jeter's popularity on the east coast. At least Tejada SHOULD be the starter anyways.

As of now I'd say we get Garland, MB and Hermanson on with the possibility of El Duque and PK as a long shot if he can bring his average up say 30-40 points

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ May 14, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
I struggle to see hoe Hernadez possibly deserves to go to the ASG. I would definitely take Herm and Buehrle over him. We won't have one player voted on, they will all be picked by the manager so it's hard to imagine us getting much more than Herm-Mark-Jon.

He has less wins but a better ERA than Buehrle.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 14, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
He has less wins but a better ERA than Buehrle.

This is true but buehrle has a better whip by .46 ( which is a lot), better baa by .36 and goes deeper into games. Not to mention the ops against isn't even close.

I don't know how Francona could possibly take 3 2B. We know Sori will win the vote because he was a Yankee and he blows people away in name recognition and we know that Bip Roberts will have to be selected. I see Gooch squeezed out because his only dominant stat is BA. Not that he isn't playing really well, but there just aren't enough spots to go around. We have to have at least 3 given our record and we know that the Yanks will have many voted in. Francono owes it to his boys to take a bunch as rewards and the O's deserve may players too. THat doesn't even cover the one per team. I'd be stisfied with 3 right now given all that

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 13, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
Not true.....See "2004 Cleveland Indians" but then again, that was a bad team with a bunch of All-Stars. But ur probably right, 2001 Mariners had like 3543 all-stars.

Yeah, but with all of the press Garland and Buerhle are getting right now, Hermanson is as good as there is right now, and we can really hope for all the Iguchi voting Ichiro fans.

Garland and Buehrle are locks if they keep pitching the way they are. One of them might even start the AS Game. As for the rest of the team...Pods maybe, Konerko maybe (if he gets his average up), and an even lesser chance for Hermanson and Iguchi. Out of those, I think 3 will make it, but not sure which ones.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 15, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
Garland and Buehrle are locks if they keep pitching the way they are. One of them might even start the AS Game. As for the rest of the team...Pods maybe, Konerko maybe (if he gets his average up), and an even lesser chance for Hermanson and Iguchi. Out of those, I think 3 will make it, but not sure which ones.

Welcome to soxtalk. :cheers