Sunday's Tribune

On the Score just now, a caller asked a Tribune staffer - David Haugh, I believe - when the Sox were going to get their due from the Trib. He said Sunday's Tribune is virtually a Soxfest. On the front page of the paper - not the Sports Section - John Kass, who is both a Sox season ticket holder and probably the paper's primary news columnist has a story. There is a two page story about Garland and his parents, and Haugh said the Sox coverage goes on and on.

So now we know what it took - just play .750 ball into the middle of May, and the Trib will notice us.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ May 14, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
On the Score just now, a caller asked a Tribune staffer - David Haugh, I believe - when the Sox were going to get their due from the Trib. He said Sunday's Tribune is virtually a Soxfest. On the front page of the paper - not the Sports Section - John Kass, who is both a Sox season ticket holder and probably the paper's primary news columnist has a story. There is a two page story about Garland and his parents, and Haugh said the Sox coverage goes on and on.

So now we know what it took - just play .750 ball into the middle of May, and the Trib will notice us.

The sad part is that the cubune gives the Sox better coverage than does that other paper...

The suntimes has been GREAT all season with the sox. I get it every day. I don't remember the last time ive looked at the back cover and NOT seen the sox full page on it.

The only bad part about the suntimes is Mariotti, who pretends like the sox don't exsist when things start going well for them.

If you win, they will come.

Be careful what you ask for though, you just might get it.

When the local and national press begin to scrutinize Ozzie's moves and overblow players' slumps and smother the team in general, we'll see if it affects them.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 14, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
When the local and national press begin to scrutinize Ozzie's moves and overblow players' slumps and smother the team in general, we'll see if it affects them.

If they win, none of that matters. The attention will stay on winning. All his moves will be right, and all the slumps won't appear as bad as they really are.

Guest JimH
Rozner - Great, Imrem - Bad

Disagree on Rozner, he carries personal agendas and only tells part of the story, particularly as it relates to the Blackhawks and their various issues. It's ok to rip, but tell the truth ... and Rozner doesn't always do that.

Tim Sassone is the best reporter they have at the Daily Herald, he is now doing some baseball coverage seeing hockey is in mothballs. He is fair, balanced, and not afraid to print a tough story. Not a particularly nice and/or friendly guy but if you read Sassone you're getting the straight story.

I work at the Herald and personally like them both. But as far as writing ability goes, I think Rozner is very talented and I usually agree with him. The only thing that bothers me about him is that he seems to write about the same topics over and over again. I'd say that he does roughly 30 articles on Ron Santo, 20 on the Arlington Million, 15 on Cubs PR guy McDonough, and 10 on the Ben Christionson story a year. Plus he's a Cub fan. But I tend to enjoy his writing.

Imrem on the other hand, offers little insight on anything. I personally believe that just about any one of you can write a better column than him. They are just totally bland.

Plus, he doesn't wash his hands after he uses the mens room. :)

Edited by KevHead0881

Guest JimH
I work at the Herald and personally like them both.  But as far as writing ability goes, I think Rozner is very talented and I usually agree with him.  The only thing that bothers me about him is that he seems to write about the same topics over and over again.  I'd say that he does roughly 30 articles on Ron Santo, 20 on the Arlington Million, 15 on Cubs PR guy McDonough, and 10 on the Ben Christionson story a year.  Plus he's a Cub fan.  But I tend to enjoy his writing.

Imrem on the other hand, offers little insight on anything.  I personally believe that just about any one of you can write a better column than him.  They are just totally bland.

Plus, he doesn't wash his hands after he uses the mens room.  :)

That is great insight ... but I could have done without the Imren lack of hand washing tidbit :lol:

I agree 100% that Rozner is the better writer of the two. I take everything Rozner writes with a grain of salt because I've caught him in a couple of blatant lies, but he is an excellent writer and entertaining as well. He is a huge Cub fan but I will say this, he's fair toward the White Sox ... when he writes about them. You are right, he goes overboard on the Ron Santo/John McDonough stuff but oh well.

QUOTE(White Sox @ May 14, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
The suntimes has been GREAT all season with the sox.  I get it every day.  I don't remember the last time ive looked at the back cover and NOT seen the sox full page on it.   

The only bad part about the suntimes is Mariotti, who pretends like the sox don't exsist when things start going well for them.

Speaking of which, did you see when Mariotti got pissed at Tony Reali yesterday for saying, "He Gone" when talking about the Sox. Mariotti got pissed and said, "here's a little advice and stop using that stupid phrase". Then Mariotti lost that round and Reali said, "Since you don't like 'He Gone!', how about 'You Gone!'

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 15, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
Here's the best column-feature-story, whatever, of them all, as far as I'm concerned. 

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Rick Morrisey's column is also very good.

Ah this was pretty shoddy...

The Sox have not outdrawn the Cubs in home attendance since 1992. TV ratings tell a similar story: The Cubs-Mets game Wednesday night on WGN-Ch. 9 attracted a 5.7 rating and a 15 share, while a Sox-Devil Rays game on Comcast SportsNet managed a meager 1 rating and a 3 share.

Why not check and see what it was on Thursday when the Sox were on GN, and the cubs the lowly comcast? Cuz it wouldn't have made his point that's why.

I now realize there wasn't a cubs game yesterday. D'OH. the point still stands.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 15, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)

Why not check and see what it was on Thursday when the Sox were on GN, and the cubs the lowly comcast?  Cuz it wouldn't have made his point that's why. 

All in all, it was a good and fairly written article. You're nitpicking.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 15, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)

Why not check and see what it was on Thursday when the Sox were on GN, and the cubs the lowly comcast?  Cuz it wouldn't have made his point that's why. 

Just curious, because I honestly do not know...

Is this compensating for the fact that WGN is a national TV station, while Comcast is a regional sports station?

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 15, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
All in all, it was a good and fairly written article.  You're nitpicking.

ESPN gets less than a 1 share with some of it's primetime programming... Why? Because it's on freakin' cable.

ESPN recently discovered they can air something called "Bowling Night" and get the same ratings, or better, than the NHL games that were supposed to be airing, for much cheaper to boot. I don't know why I went on the ESPN jaunt, but I just read that in an article, and well I thought I should write it here. NHL= in big trouble.

Comparing a subscription service such as cable TV to a freely available service is almost universally going to yeild the same results. Add to that the difference between the Mets and the Devil Rays and you've got yourself a stacked freakin' deck.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 15, 2005 -> 02:31 AM)
ESPN gets less than a 1 share with some of it's primetime programming... Why? Because it's on freakin' cable. 

ESPN recently discovered they can air something called "Bowling Night" and get the same ratings, or better, than the NHL games that were supposed to be airing, for much cheaper to boot. I don't know why I went on the ESPN jaunt, but I just read that in an article, and well I thought I should write it here. NHL= in big trouble.

Comparing a subscription service such as cable TV to a freely available service is almost universally going to yeild the same results.  Add to that the difference between the Mets and the Devil Rays and you've got yourself a stacked freakin' deck.

Still, you picked out a perceived negative remark out of a generally well written article. That, my friend, is nitpicking.