I Just Want to Take It ALL in

elrockinMT

Please forgive me for waxing the philosophical a bit Sox Talk friends, but here goes:

I just want to sit back and suck it all in. The Sox setting records for winning games; How the Sox win games; leading the majors in wins; Jon Garland with the best Sox pitching record for starting a season since Joel Horlen; Good publicity for the Sox; FUN; The fact Frank Thomas will be back and the Sox can only get better in the hitting department; I have been a Sox fan since just a kid back in 1959, and I am having fun right along with the Sox. I appreciate the opportunity to share these thoughts and just talk baseball with all you Sox Talk posters. On to October...

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 14, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
You're old  :D

:headbang  :gosox3:  :headbang  :gosox4:  :headbang  :gosoxretro:  :headbang  :gosox2:

So am I. This "old" Sox fan is taking it one game at a time and just enjoying the ride and hoping that it's going to be a real long one. It's about time and why not us? The hell with the local and national sports media. I would just love to hear all their stuttering and stammering come October. In the meantime another deep breath and one game at a time. We've got a relatively tough stretch coming up in the schedule.

Guest JimH
So am I. This "old" Sox fan is taking it one game at a time and just enjoying the ride and hoping that it's going to be a real long one. It's about time and why not us? The hell with the local and national sports media. I would just love to hear all their stuttering and stammering come October. In the meantime another deep breath and one game at a time. We've got a relatively tough stretch coming up in the schedule.

Great post, and I share your sentiments exactly.

The best part of this so far is how much my 75 yr. old dad is enjoying this out in Arizona ... he has the Dish package and he gets to see almost every game.

Now if I could just get him to use the internet ... :P

I'm right there with all my brothers and sisters on Planet White Sox.

Who know where this ride is going to take us, but let's keep enjoying every pitch.

Sure is a lot happier than it's been on this board the past few seasons.

A Sox fan who goes back to the days of Aparcio, Fox, Smith, Wynn, Pierce, Turk Lown, Gerry Staley, Jim Landis, Billy Goodman, Sherm Lollar and, of course, the magnificent Al Lopez.

My dad is the one that got me hooked on the White Sox. At SoxFest I got a bunch of autographs on a soxfest map, topped off by Bill Melton writing Happy Birthday to him.

Now, my bar bill was upwards of $200 because I'd been feeding Bill the Ketel One while he made fun of Willie Harris at our table, but my dad got a kick out of hearing we were talking to him, he will be ecstatic at the autograph.

Just whipped cream on top of what has been so far an ice cream sundae of a baseball season.

Edited by ISF

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 14, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Please forgive me for waxing the philosophical a bit Sox Talk friends, but here goes:

I just want to sit back and suck it all in. The Sox setting records for winning games; How the Sox win games; leading the majors in wins; Jon Garland with the best Sox pitching record for starting a season since Joel Horlen; Good publicity for the Sox; FUN; The fact Frank Thomas will be back and the Sox can only get better in the hitting department; I have been a Sox fan since just a kid back in 1959, and I am having fun right along with the Sox. I appreciate the opportunity to share these thoughts and just talk baseball with all you Sox Talk posters. On to October...

Very cool. My earliest memory is my Dad getting excited at the TV during the Sox '59 celebration in Cleveland. I remember him shouting ‘There’s Nellie Fox pouring beer on Aparicio!” That’s all I remember, I was 7.

I lost him last year, but didn’t cry because it was a battle with cancer and we had already talked it through many times.

The last time I cried was when the Sox clinched in Minnesota, 2000. If the boys do it this year, maybe I’ll cry again. Some tears from happiness but also a few with my Dad.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 14, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)

Beautiful sentiments.

If waiting a long time sweetens a championship season, then you can wrap me in mothballs and cover me with hulla hoops and slinkys. I'm ready. :D

I'm happy for all the Sox that have had a long past with the Sox. They're doing great. This would be my 13th year of liking the Sox and they've made the playoffs in 2 of those years. Hopefully they can make it 3 for me and however many for all of you.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 14, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm happy for all the Sox that have had a long past with the Sox. They're doing great. This would be my 13th year of liking the Sox and they've made the playoffs in 2 of those years. Hopefully they can make it 3 for me and however many for all of you.

Thanks, I too was born in 1959( thanks mom and dad for giving birth to me in the Sox world series year). Been watching The Sox faithfully since I can remember. This year is a great ride, and just enjoying every game one game at a time!

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ May 14, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)

TLAK SAID:

Very cool. My earliest memory is my Dad getting excited at the TV during the Sox '59 celebration in Cleveland. I remember him shouting ‘There’s Nellie Fox pouring beer on Aparicio!” That’s all I remember, I was 7.

I lost him last year, but didn’t cry because it was a battle with cancer and we had already talked it through many times.

The last time I cried was when the Sox clinched in Minnesota, 2000. If the boys do it this year, maybe I’ll cry again. Some tears from happiness but also a few with my Dad.

TLAK:

NO! Your POST is what is very cool. My sympathies on the loss of your Dad. It is indeed special to have something that you could share with him and I bet it opened up other great conversations too. :cheers

Edited by elrockinMT

I love this team. I am only 16, but have been a true fan for about 10. When I was really little I could name everyone on the team and all my family was amazed. It seems like everyday now I'm planning my day around the games. All the Cubs fans at my school try to make fun of the Sox but all I have to do is say the Sox record followed by the Cubs record. It is a great luxury to have this season. I just hope it can last all summer. :headbang

The first sox team i remember is 1993 (I was 7 at the time), but I honestly started following the team daily around 2001-2002. So this is by far the best sox team I've ever followed.

Great thread idea guys. Enjoy this. I know the temptation is there to tear down everything for a loss or a bad outing, but realize that what you are watching so far is history. If you spend all of your time looking for something to go wrong, you will miss it. The whole time I have been a Sox fan I have seen two periods of baseball like this, 2000 and 1983. I thank god that I took each time for what it was worth, instead of stressing about who wasn't hitting, or a few losses.

Enjoy this while you can.

Great thread, this.

My family moved to the midwest from Connecticut when I was 9. I hadn't really settled on one team yet, so when my Dad started taking me to Comiskey (at the time officially known as White Sox Park) it was magical -- 1973. Loud, boisterous, passionate fans. Too passionate, sometimes. You could count on a fight or two during the second game of a doubleheader, more in the bleachers. Bill Veeck bought the club, restored the Comiskey name and Bob Lemon somehow kept the Sox in contention into September in 1977 with the Hitmen. What a year that was. I seriously doubt that any regular on that team could play for this one. Maybe Zisk.

Tomy LaRussa took that 1983 club into the ALCS and we won Game One. But the O's pitching was too much. A few years later Hawk fired Tony, which pretty much showed everyone that Hawk was a better announcer than a GM.

I'm getting way too sentimental here, but I feel I should echo some of the others' advice: enjoy this ride. This group is a joy to watch. Their collective selflessness is tremendous to behold.

GO SOX!