Game Thread 5-15-2005 Sox vs Orioles

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
No reason for Pods not to be bunting in the 3rd inning after the leadoff walk to Crede.  Pods is our best bunter, and is a good bet to beat out even an average bunt.  Also, we don't utilize Iguchi in terms of hit-and-run.  Iguchi hits a ton of grounders, and will continue to hit into a lot of double plays if we try and play stationary baseball.  The combination of Pods on the bases and Iguchi at the plate should be perfect for hit-and-runs, even if Pods can't get a good jump against a lefty.

Oh stop it.

First of all, Podsednik is trying to bunt for a hit. The last thing they're doing is playing stationary baseball, Iguchi is constantly trying to hit it up the middle or the opposite way.

Fact is, this Baltimore pitcher has our hitters tied up in knots. That's not the managers fault. When you pick apart one situation in a 5-2 game and blame it on the manager ... that's over the top. You know baseball better than that and you're a better poster than that. It's frustrating but the fact they're down by 3 is not the managers fault ... it's the hitters fault.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
Oh stop it.

First of all, Podsednik is trying to bunt for a hit.  The last thing they're doing is playing stationary baseball, Iguchi is constantly trying to hit it up the middle or the opposite way.

That's exactly the point though. We've been doing a great job with the top of our order not playing stationary baseball. We all know Ozzie can't do anything about the slow, crappy hitters in the middle of our order right now. However, we've been very successful at having guys like Pods bunt in similar situations, especially when we're facing a confident pitcher like Bedard. It seems like Pods has got on nearly every time he's bunted this season. I'm not complaining about Iguchi's approach......it's just that he's very prone to hitting into double plays with that particular approach. It's great for when Pods can steal 2nd base, etc.

Guest JimH
That's exactly the point though.  We've been doing a great job with the top of our order not playing stationary baseball.  We all know Ozzie can't do anything about the slow, crappy hitters in the middle of our order right now.  However, we've been very successful at having guys like Pods bunt in similar situations, especially when we're facing a confident pitcher like Bedard.  It seems like Pods has got on nearly every time he's bunted this season.  I'm not complaining about Iguchi's approach......it's just that he's very prone to hitting into double plays with that particular approach.  It's great for when Pods can steal 2nd base, etc.

Ok ...

So what exactly is Guillen doing wrong again?

Going into the 7th the White Sox had two hits, Bedard is painting the corners, changing speeds, etc.

Not sure what else Guillen can do here ... ?

QUOTE(JimH @ May 15, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
So what exactly is Guillen doing wrong again?

JimH.....there's nothing that Ozzie could have done after the 3rd inning or so. I apologize if I didn't make my point clear. I don't blame Ozzie for this game at all. Rather, I just would have liked to see us try to create some offense in the first few innings when we had leadoffs guys on base. In the scheme of things, it doesn't look like one manufactured run would have mattered in the end.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 15, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
There was no catching that ball

That would have been a real tough play, but he sure didn't seem to get a good jump on the ball. I'm not making the assumption he's a bad outfielder just because of that play though. He hasn't impressed me in the field at all this season. Hell, his best defensive play was the throw home against the A's where the runner was called safe.