Lefties LOOGY's

DBAHO

Ok I'm going to start a thread to put forward some names that we could target at the deadline. I don't think it's any secret we need a LHP who can actually get lefties out. Some names to consider;

Mike Gonzalez - Pittsburgh

John Grabow - Pittsburgh

Casey Fossum - Tampa Bay

Joey Eischen - Washington (currently on 60 day DL)

Kent Mercker - Cincinatti

Jorge De La Rosa - Milwaulkee

Ricardo Rincon - Oakland

Aaron Fultz - Philadelphia

Ron Villone - Seattle

John Foster - Atlanta

Great idea for a thread.

The most reliable guy on that list is probably Mercker but I don't like what he brings to the clubhouse after his whining about the Flubs' announcers last season.

Jorge De La Rosa has great stuff but he's a little wild.

I don't think the Pirates will trade Mike Gonzalez either.

I really had a good look at a lot of lefties stats so far this season, but in all of this, 3 things really have to be considered;

1 - He actually HAS to get lefties out. Some lefties do better against righties.

2 - The team he plays probably can't be in playoff contention otherwise he won't be traded.

3 - It takes 2 to make a deal. Just beacuse we may want a guy and we may be able to trade for him, we'll have to come up with a deal to satisfy the opposing teams needs as well.

Here's one from the box, Scott Strickland from the Mets. He'll be a free agent today if he's not promoted from AAA. Even though he's a righty, he had a pretty good year in 2003, and fairly good lefty / righty splits. Some team will probably give him a chance before us though.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
I would like Mike Gonzalez, but I don't think he'll be available. Billy Wagner will forever get my vote.

He hasn't been performing like a house on fire in the last few weeks either. :ph34r:

Fossum is now a starter for Tampa, and they're likely going to keep him. No chance the Pirates give up Gonzalez, he's a stud. Eischen is out for a long time with a broken throwing arm, I believe. A more likely type of guy we would get is T. Miller on Tampa or Cerda on KC. Honestly, lefty reliever isn't a concern right now. Marte is still a solid option, and even Cotts looks sharper now than he has in a long time. We need a reliable righty reliever to go with Cliff and Hermanson (neither guy who I have much confidence in for continuing to have a lot of success this year).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
Fossum is now a starter for Tampa, and they're likely going to keep him.  No chance the Pirates give up Gonzalez, he's a stud.  Eischen is out for a long time with a broken throwing arm, I believe.  A more likely type of guy we would get is T. Miller on Tampa or Cerda on KC.  Honestly, lefty reliever isn't a concern right now.  Marte is still a solid option, and even Cotts looks sharper now than he has in a long time.  We need a reliable righty reliever to go with Cliff and Hermanson (neither guy who I have much confidence in for continuing to have a lot of success this year).

Well what are some options we can look for there possibly?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Jay Witasick on Colorado has looked pretty sharp this season.

Didn't they sign him as a major league free agent as well? Strickland would have been nice as a possible call-up, but I think the Astros signed him.

If there was one reliever I wish we could trade for, it would be Brad Lidge. I would have no problem if we gave up Sweeney and someone like Tracey for Lidge. The problem with trading the farm for Wagner is that he's saying he might retire soon. Lidge would likely be here for longer.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
If there was one reliever I wish we could trade for, it would be Brad Lidge.  I would have no problem if we gave up Sweeney and someone like Tracey for Lidge.  The problem with trading the farm for Wagner is that he's saying he might retire soon.  Lidge would likely be here for longer.

lidge is still making league min, he wont be traded.

Guardado is the best option out there but he would probally cost an arm and leg but i think its worth it.

QUOTE(soxfan420 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 06:00 AM)
lidge is still making league min, he wont be traded.

Guardado is the best option out there but he would probally cost an arm and leg but i think its worth it.

Lidge will be arb eligible pretty soon, and he's going to make a lot of money. Of course, any trade we would make for him would have to blow their socks off. Sweeney, Tracey, and another highly regarded prospect. Astros need hitting help right now, as well as for their future.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
Lidge will be arb eligible pretty soon, and he's going to make a lot of money.  Of course, any trade we would make for him would have to blow their socks off.  Sweeney, Tracey, and another highly regarded prospect.  Astros need hitting help right now, as well as for their future.

I dont see houston trading Lidge anytime soon and i dont think they looking for hitting because i think they have realized there done this year.

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Well barring a trade, who would you rather have in vs. lefties, Cotts or Marte?????

If there are people on base or the game is very close, I'd prefer to bring in Cotts. He has a far lower WHIP than Marte (1.08 vs. 1.57), which means to me that he's going to be much less likely to allow the run to score if he's already there. He's also yet to give up a long ball this season.

On the other hand, if no one's on base and it's not a 1 run game, I'd bring in Marte, because Marte's ERA is lower, which means he is going to probably let a guy or two get on base, but they're not likely to score. He has given up 3 home runs however, which means that in a very close game, he's a bit of a risk. I also don't think I'd leave him out there for 2 innings unless I had no choice (going into extra innings, etc.)