Mariotti challenges us

knightni

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ May 16, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
I think their offense staying hot is a better probability than our pitching staying hot. Bedard and Sidney can win 15 I think. I agree Boston and the Yanks will not stay down all year. All a matter of luck. Regardless.. nothing to worry about at this point.

Is there an echo in here? :D

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 16, 2005 -> 08:33 AM)
It's hard to support a guy who had a .305 BAA and 5.30 ERA in 2004.  That is buster status.

Note see Konerko, Paul Years 2003 & 2004

Yea I agree, and overall his career numbers arent that great so I dont need to see them posted up here either, I just have a hunch...ok i'm an idiot

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 16, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Note see Konerko, Paul Years 2003 & 2004

Yea I agree, and overall his career numbers arent that great so I dont need to see them posted up here either, I just have a hunch...ok i'm an idiot

:lolhitting

Ponson actually had a successful 2003 season, so you can definitely make an argument for him. He was a high fantasy pick in 2004.

But yeah, if I were a GM looking for starting pitching, I'd disregard Ponson with the quickness.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 17, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
:lolhitting

Ponson actually had a successful 2003 season, so you can definitely make an argument for him.  He was a high fantasy pick in 2004.

But yeah, if I were a GM looking for starting pitching, I'd disregard Ponson with the quickness.

The Aruba incident probably didn't help his value much either.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 15, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
Ok we might be 1st place but its still May.... Like its been said earlier, if we are still struggling to get 30,000 to a game after school is out and weather is warm and we are still a 1st place team than be worried.... until than calm down and enjoy the run.

School is out and weather has been decent. I don't see Flub fans complaining. Wear a jacket. That's why they were invented. I just hope that the stadium is this empty when there are playoff tickets.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 16, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
School is out and weather has been decent. I don't see Flub fans complaining. Wear a jacket. That's why they were invented. I just hope that the stadium is this empty when there are playoff tickets.

Don't worry.. all of us season ticket holders will buy them up so you don't get one. ;)

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 16, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Just for the people in college.  All the high schools, middle schools, etc.  have a few weeks still.

Yeah, because those kids could go take the red line or the Metra by themselves and go to the game. Not. Parents will have to take them. They didn't and the games were on a weekend. Not strong enough attendance for top 2 teams in baseball.

Hammerhead, Baltimore has more than enough staying power. Chen is pitching like the prospect he was supposed to be(ala Pavano last year), Lopez is good for 15, Cabrera is a hard thrower that will win 15, Bedard will win 15, Ponson around 12. That's good enough with their offense and bullpen to get there. There's a reason why they kicked our ass the past two games.

And whoever wrote that letter to Jay Mariotti about the southside being even nicer and on the uprise, you do realize that it just makes it that much worse??? He's going to come back saying, "Yeah, you even have the nicer neighborhood and can't even hang with the criminal filled Wrigley Field." You set yourself up with that one. The reason that Sammy was supposed to play against us was the reason why we had as many fans as we did. It was 3:1 for Cubs-Sox fans at the game. I know it because the 3 games I went to(purchased a ticket for Sunday's game but I hung out too late into the wee hours of Sunday morning) I saw Cub fans surrounding me and absolutely say there disgusted.

Here's my challenge. When the Sox face a team, let's try to outdraw fans that aren't Sox fans at our own ballpark. Everytime on the Red Line I see half the thing filled with fans of the other team(especially against Minny) and Cub fans who have nothing better to do. The Sox depend too heavily on other fans, not their own to sell out their ballpark. That's just sad. And I'm talking about 70% of Sox fans.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 16, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
Hammerhead, Baltimore has more than enough staying power. Chen is pitching like the prospect he was supposed to be(ala Pavano last year), Lopez is good for 15, Cabrera is a hard thrower that will win 15, Bedard will win 15, Ponson around 12. That's good enough with their offense and bullpen to get there. There's a reason why they kicked our ass the past two games.

I ain't buying it. They'd get slaughtered in a playoff series with that rotation. So what, they're like the Washington Wizards or some s***. Bruce Chen ala Carl Pavano? Bruce has been on EIGHT (count 'em) eight different teams already. Are you telling me that you're right and everyone else is wrong?

Cabrera's a hard thrower, so look for 15 wins? I'll tell you what I'll be looking for.

2004:

150 IP

5.00 ERA

1.56 WHIP

2005:

42 IP

4.93 ERA

1.48 WHIP

Rodrigo Lopez and Sidney Ponson are two of the most inconsistent starters in this league.

I like their bullpen, though.

Crazy offensive teams have average to below average starters who win 13-15 by default. Predicting 15 wins per for 4 different starters (including Chen...OMG) means nothing, actually. It's out there like f***ing Pluto, no question, but they could get wins with the insane amount of run support tha they'll receive. I'll retract my previous statement that Bedard is the only guy who could win 15+. Let's just talk consistency, ERA, WHIP, track record, etc. f*** a win...check out 2004 Ben Sheets and Randy Johnson. That was Brando's downfall as a baseball expert...he put way too much credence in wins. To this day, the best thread I've ever seen on here was Rex Hudler's Cy Young voting system.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 16, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
After reading this column, I had a few things I wanted to say to MR. Mariotti.  Here's my email to him.  No response from him as of yet.

Great e-mail YASNY. Don't expect a response.

Why is this attendance thing matter?! As long as you and I show up at the ballpark when we want to and we have real die hard sox fans sitting to the left and right of us it does not matter if it is a sellout.

I like to think of the Sox as the Artsy mildly attractive girl with glasses in high school flicks. She does not have many friends but the friends that she does have are friends with her for the right reasons.

I think that the media wants to turn the Sox into the Cubs, the blonde with big breasts with nothing upstairs. As Chris Rock once said, "Everybody likes the big titty girl"(pardon my language)- but why other than her body parts?

People want the easy score- you know when you go to Wrigley you are going to have a 'fun' experience if you are a "cubbies fan" win or lose. Because they are going to "get some"- Some being drunk, sex, or both.

Now when I go to a Sox game- I will not always have a good time because I am a true fan and if the Sox lose that night I am going to be pissed. I also know that I am going to a game with my favorite team on the field and there is no place else I would rather be. While you don't have the so called "it girl" you know that there is no team that can even compare to yours.

I like to think that the Sox are my team and I don't want other so called fans to come to the ballpark because we are winning. We speak so much about being true fans but we crave the national spotlight and want more of these fairweather fans to fill our stadium- I say forget that and look what is happening on the field.

Edited by palehose23

QUOTE(Steff @ May 16, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
Don't worry.. all of us season ticket holders will buy them up so you don't get one.  ;)

and all of you season ticket holders will help out poor college kids...

riiiiiiiight? :P :banghead

YSNY - that was a good email. Fair and not a "rip" job. Fact is, the Sox have since the strike and probably always will, have an attendance issue.

We drew great for the Os, but we'll be lucky to bust 60,000 for the three-game set against the Rangers, even with 1/2 price night tonight. Oh and the Pepsi Tuesday night doesn't appear to do anything to bulk up our Tuesday night attendance.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 16, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
I could not find much to disagree with in that article. In a small way, Jay probably helped attendance with that article. If he wrote a fluff piece that most Sox fans drool over, praising everything, it would not bring any attention to the enormous challenge Brooks and the Sox face. TV and cheeks in the seats go a long way to a bigger payroll. How often have Sox fans replied we don't buy tickets to watch a crappy team, like they do on the north side? Well why wasn't the Cell closer to a sell out? Why did almost every one here who played the YNOT contest predict an even lower attendance figure?

Reletavely speaking, there aren't a lot of Sox fans, but you know what that's okay. Chairman Reinsdorf has set up the franchise in such a way, best stadium lease in all of sport and excellent media deals, that they don't need to draw 35,000 a night to have sufficient revenues to field a competitive team.

I was at the game with Brian and his family (a group of 12 total). Keep in mind Brian is not a Sox fan (I think I am starting to get him to cheer for the Sox as I can hear the game in the garage occasionally and he seems to be saying quite a few positive things about the team). During the game he looked around and said that he thought it was packed - that took a lot to come from him lol.

I don't know what the attendance was yesterday as FMIL made us leave in the beginning of the 8th (she was driving his sister and us so we had to go when she said so lol).