Botch.....

CubKilla

I would have to say the two biggest disappointments so far this young season are Koch and Garland. You almost wonder if Koch is hurt or something, but I think his fastball has been clocked in the high 90's so I lean towards mechanics. Plus ESPN made an interesting comment about Koch is just a thrower and not a pitcher yet. You can't just throw fast and down the middle and be successful.

Maybe Garland needs to go down when Wright is ready to return. It might get something through to him about how to pitch in the big leagues and what he needs to do to stay here. He is just too inconsistent. :bang

Maybe Garland needs to go down when Wright is ready to return.

Listening to the game today on the radio elrock, I thought the SAME EXACT THING. If anyone finds Garland's consistency, give it back to him. A classic example of a pitcher who, for every one step he takes forward, he follows with taking 2 steps back.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Maybe Garland needs to go down when Wright is ready to return.

Listening to the game today on the radio elrock, I thought the SAME EXACT THING. If anyone finds Garland's consistency, give it back to him. A classic example of a pitcher who, for every one step he takes forward, he follows with taking 2 steps back.

:o im having flashbacks of kip wells........oh gawd please help me............... :o

Guest hotsoxchick1
Yep. Ignorance (not stupid, but being ignored here) like whitesox.com...I really would like to meet some of u there at EB.

ok whats eb games and where is yorktown mall??? is that by your house rps?????? :huh:

Watched Koch today and he looked better, but they are killing him. His velocity was up around 94-95 and his mechanics looked solid.

He just seems to be leaving his curve up and then they are drilling the fastball up.

I think he'll get things together. He's a tough kid and I'm sure everything will be alright. Think of it this way, better to take the lops in a game when your down by 7 or so.

Guest wsc425

From the Northern Suburbs

Take 294 South to I-88 West (East/West Tollway). Exit at Highland Avenue. Go north (right) on Highland. Yorktown is located on the northeast corner of Highland Avenue and Butterfield Road.

From the Northwest Suburbs

Take 355 South to Butterfield Road. Go east (left) on Butterfield Road (approximately 1/2 mile). Yorktown is located on the north side of Butterfield Road.

From the Western Suburbs

Take Route 83 South to Butterfield Road and proceed west on Butterfield Road. Yorktown is located approximately three miles west on Butterfield Road.

From the East/Chicago

Take 290 West to I-88 West (East/West Tollway). Exit at Highland Avenue. Go north (right) on Highland Avenue. Yorktown is located on the northeast corner of Highland Avenue and Butterfield Road.

From the South Suburbs

Take 294 North to I-88 West (East/West Tollway). Exit at Highland Avenue. Go north (right) on Highland Avenue. Yorktown is located on the northeast corner of Highland Avenue and Butterfield Road.

From the Southwest Suburbs

Take 355 North to Butterfield Road. Go east (left) on Butterfield Road (approximately 1/2 mile). Yorktown is located on the north side of Butterfield Road.

There is a map on http://www.yorktowncenter.com/directions.html

JM is finally doing something right by giving Koch the ball in non-save opportunities.

1 bad start and we're already talking bout sending down Garland? Why not send down Buerhle too? And Dan Wright is as inconsistent as anyone in the rotation.

His ERA is 7.32.

That didn't come from "1 bad start". He's looked bad 2 times now, looked OK another time, and had a very good start vs. KC last week.

And yeah, if Buehrle had a bad start 50% of the time, we'd send him down too. Buehrle is consistently good 70-80% of the time, while Garland is more around 25-30%. That's unacceptable for a supposed contending team.

--------------------

Change

--------------------

I just looked at the numbers, and I retract something that I said. He hasn't had 2 bad, 1 OK, and 1 good start.

He's had 3 bad starts, and 1 good one.

1st start @ KC -- 4 IP, 5 ER, 10 baserunners

2nd start @ CLE -- 6 IP, 5 ER, 10 baserunners

3rd start vs. KC -- 7 IP, 1 ER, 5 baserunners

4th start vs. CLE -- 2 2/3 IP, 5 ER, 7 baserunners

7.32 ERA -- even more unacceptable than I ever thought.

Say bye to Jon and hello to Dan when he's ready. Hopefully he won't be 0-5 by the time that happens.

JM is finally doing something right by giving Koch the ball in non-save opportunities.

1 bad start and we're already talking bout sending down Garland? Why not send down Buerhle too? And Dan Wright is as inconsistent as anyone in the rotation.

His ERA is 7.72.

That didn't come from "1 bad start". He's looked bad 2 times now, looked OK another time, and had a very good start vs. KC last week.

And yeah, if Buehrle had a bad start 50% of the time, we'd send him down too. Buehrle is consistently good 70-80% of the time, while Garland is more around 25-30%. That's unacceptable for a supposed contending team.

Agreed. As for going to see Botch on Friday, I gotta work.

Garland's first start of the year was bad....but he didn't have any help defensively either.

And I said it somewhere else....Garland was s***ty in April last year too. He had an ERA of about 8.00. He then had his ERA under 4.00 for every month except July....where the same thing happened that happened to him in April.

I think he'll be fine. He may not look good right now...but he didn't look good this time last year either.

Garland's first start of the year was bad....but he didn't have any help defensively either.

And I said it somewhere else....Garland was s***ty in April last year too.  He had an ERA of about 8.00.  He then had his ERA under 4.00 for every month except July....where the same thing happened that happened to him in April.

I think he'll be fine.  He may not look good right now...but he didn't look good this time last year either.

Then let him have an 8.00 ERA in AAA where it won't hurt our chances at making the playoffs.

Saying "he did the same thing last year" is an invalid excuse and expecting him to duplicate the 2nd half he had last season is dangerous.

He needs to turn it around in his next 3 or 4 starts -- otherwise, his spot in the rotation will be taken by Dan Wright. Unless, of course, Josh completely implodes. In that case, Dan would probably take his spot due to his inexperience.

1 bad start, he had given up four or more runs in about every start , you looked at his ERA lately.

Yep, 19 2/3 IP this season, 16 ER, and 32 baserunners.

And I don't understand the argument "the defense didn't help him any in his first start". He gave up 0 unearned runs that game. I realize that players can f*** up easy plays and not get an error for it, but to blame the defense for EARNED runs is ridiculous.

And I said it somewhere else....Garland was s***ty in April last year too.  He had an ERA of about 8.00.  He then had his ERA under 4.00 for every month except July....where the same thing happened that happened to him in April.

I think he'll be fine.  He may not look good right now...but he didn't look good this time last year either.

Then let him have an 8.00 ERA in AAA where it won't hurt our chances at making the playoffs.

Saying "he did the same thing last year" is an invalid excuse and expecting him to duplicate the 2nd half he had last season is dangerous.

He needs to turn it around in his next 3 or 4 starts -- otherwise, his spot in the rotation will be taken by Dan Wright. Unless, of course, Josh completely implodes. In that case, Dan would probably take his spot due to his inexperience.

Dude i agree with a lot that you say, but at this point is safe to say Wright will take Stewarts spot, not Garlands. Garland needs to get hit hard his next two starts, before id send him to the pen, or down.

the problem with garland is if he doesnt have his best stuff he cant get guys out...he needs to get away from this im a sinkerball pitcher and can only throw 88 mph....he has a classic power pitchers body...he struck somebody out today with a 4 seamer up in the zone that had some pop...then he never that pitch again..there is a reason why you dont hear about the "crafty righty"...cause they suck

garland needs to find that 94 mph fastball he had in the minors...use it as an out pitch...then when he thowes the sinker , curve , change , they will all look that much better...he is another guy that got nardified

Dude i agree with a lot that you say, but at this point is safe to say Wright will take Stewarts spot, not Garlands. Garland needs to get hit hard his next two starts, before id send him to the pen, or down.

You agree with a lot that I say? Damn...you're one of few, heh.

Granted, I don't know much about Stewart since I've only seen his 3 games with the Sox (no minor league stuff), but so far, he's 1-1 with a 3.71 ERA (2 games vs. Detroit and 1 vs. Cleveland, yes, but that's not his fault). Garland is 0-2 with a 7.32 ERA (2 games vs. KC and 2 vs. Cleveland).

Stewart's WHIP (Walks + Hits per Inning Pitched) is 1.41, while Garland's is 1.63.

Stewart's plus is that he's one of 2 lefties in the rotation.

Garland's plus is that he's been in the majors since 1999, and today was his 66th career start. Stewart obviously only has 3 career starts. However, that doesn't mean that Garland staying in the rotation is a foregone conclusion when Wright comes back. Garland obviously has had time to learn from and adjust to ML hitting, and so far this season he looks like a rookie. No control, and that's killing him.

Like I said, unless he turns it around in the next 3 weeks or so, I say Wright needs to replace him, and Stewart can stay right where he is. Like DJ said during today's game, the pitcher who's pitching the best should be the one to stay -- that makes sense to me, especially when 1 of the 2 is STINKING it up. Seems like a no-brainer to me.