Irresponsible Journalism

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 22, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
That article incited a bunch of people to riot so your attempt at sarcasm falls flat.

Nuke, see links I posted in Post 149 -- You're wrong.

Last Thursday, General Richard Myers, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Donald Rumsfeld’s go-to guy whenever the situation calls for the kind of gravitas the Secretary himself can’t supply, told reporters at the Pentagon that rioting in Afghanistan was related more to the on-going political reconciliation process there, than it was to a controversial note buried in the pages of Newsweek claiming that the government was investigating whether or not some nitwit interrogator at Gitmo really had desecrated a Muslim holy book.

But Monday afternoon, while offering himself up to the networks for a series of rare, almost unprecedented sit-down interviews on the White House lawn, Press Secretary McClellan said, in effect, that General Myers, and the head of the after-action report following the disturbances in Jalalabad, Lieutenant General Karl Eikenberry, were dead wrong. The Newsweek story, McClellan said, “has done damage to our image abroad and it has done damage to the credibility of the media and Newsweek in particular. People have lost lives. This report has had serious consequences.”

Whenever I hear Scott McClellan talking about ‘media credibility,’ I strain to remember who it was who admitted Jeff Gannon to the White House press room and called on him all those times.

Whenever I hear this White House talking about ‘doing to damage to our image abroad’ and how ‘people have lost lives,’ I strain to remember who it was who went traipsing into Iraq looking for WMD that will apparently turn up just after the Holy Grail will — and at what human cost.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 22, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
That article incited a bunch of people to riot so your attempt at sarcasm falls flat.

The inflammatory reference to the alleged toilet incident amounted to only a few words in an 11-sentence item in Newsweek's front-of-the-book "Periscope" section, in the issue that hit newsstands May 2.

If that led to the killings of 17 people, well imagine if it were proved true and an entire article was wrote about it.

The source told him that the report would contain the Koran incident. Looking for confirmation, Isikoff approached a spokesman for the Pentagon's Southern Command, which operates the Guantanamo prison. The spokesman declined to comment. John Barry, the magazine's national-security correspondent, took the unusual step of providing a draft of the item to a "senior Defense official." According to Newsweek's account, the official challenged one part of the article, which did not involve the Koran allegation, but "was silent about the rest." After revising the portion the official had challenged, Newsweek published the item.

I've heard of irresponsible acts by media but this one doesn't exactly smack me in the face. It's important to note thought that the periscope section of their mag doesn't get enough editorial review and from now on I bet they'll make sure it does.

Oh and it's a myth that the newsweek article started this riot

pponents of the U.S.-supported government of Hamid Karzai in Afghanistan may have seized on the report to stir up trouble. On May 12, U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Richard Myers said the U.S. military believed that the riots were not triggered by the Newsweek report. Six days later, he elaborated, stating that in the view of Lieut. General Karl Eikenberry, the U.S. commander in Afghanistan, "the unrest had been previously planned" but that the Newsweek story "certainly wasn't helpful." First Lady Laura Bush, traveling to Jordan, said she thought the report had been only part of the cause.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
So I guess you are all, all right with the Iraq war being fought because of bad information?

As a matter of fact lots of us all are not at all alright with it. Sad that the President was, and sad that so many still are.

As for your wondering whether starting a war in Iraq based on false premises and printing an incendiary story are different... uhm, yeah, they are.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 22, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)

I didn't realize that so many people read Newsweek over there. Like the prisoner abuse story, much of this was told for weeks from person to person, in country, before the Newsweek story.

And if America media is held in such high regard by these extremists, why aren't they throwing roses at our feet after listening to Rush? Certainly they would have become dittoheads by now. Amazing that people who would take up arms against the US government would wait for a Newsweek article before taking action.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 22, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
As a matter of fact lots of us all are not at all alright with it.  Sad that the President was, and sad that so many still are.

As for your wondering whether starting a war in Iraq based on false premises and printing an incendiary story are different... uhm, yeah, they are.

Yeah you are right about that... at least the government had more than one source.

QUOTE(winodj @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
LCR, now you're just hating America.

You know, that kind of pisses me off.

LCR doesn't hate America, and neither do you. Not so sure about Kip. :P

Seriously, you all have every right to question things, but whenever "conservatives" do, we get this slanted negativity about how we're labeling you all as "America Haters". I don't think you do, but you certainly have a different perspective, which the last time I checked is ok.

I hope you weren't talking about anyone here, because I think that this has been a good debate for the most part.

So Newsweek does not have an anti-American agenda, huh? I just saw on TV, a cover of the Japanese edition of Newsweek. This cover showed the American flag in a goddamn trash can.

Newsweek can kiss my USA loving ass!

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(mreye @ May 19, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
He sat on it, that's how. He sat on it and Drudge ran it. Same with Juanita Broderick.

Haven't been around, so this is a bit late, but... Drudge's piece was in fact about Newsweek "suits" killing the story, not Isikoff. Isikoff wrote it up and wanted it to run, by all reports I've seen.

A claim was made that this writer is only researching stories that make Dems look good and Repubs look bad, and that's clearly not true. He proved perfectly willing to embarrass Clinton -- so much so that some Dem harpies cried about his wanting to take down the Clinton presidency. If you want to find bias in the media, look elsewhere.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 23, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
So Newsweek does not have an anti-American agenda, huh?  I just saw on TV, a cover of the Japanese edition of Newsweek.  This cover showed the American flag in a goddamn trash can. 

Newsweek can kiss my USA loving ass!

What really burns me about all this is that the left, not all, but most on the left, and even a few here at Soxtalk, seem to be rooting against America, and are downright giddy when the US fails. All that gets reported is death and protesters and any failures. If you want to report the news - report ALL - good and bad.

Personally, when our troops are in harm's way, I root FOR America, no matter who the President is. I don't pick sides based on my political beliefs.

Let us not forget that we are the good guys in this. When we uncover prisoner abuse, we investigate and prosecute our own. It is not tolerated. Does Al Qaeda do that? Do Muslim extremists go after the people beheading innocent civilians? No, they're "martyrs." Some here seem to agree with that. That disgusts me.

LCR, you keep harping on how the Pentagon waited a few days to deny this report. Would you rather them deny right away only to find out it was true later? They investigated before commenting. I, for one, like and appreciate the due diligence. It's what I expect from my country.

:usa

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
Haven't been around, so this is a bit late, but...  Drudge's piece was in fact about Newsweek "suits" killing the story, not Isikoff.  Isikoff wrote it up and wanted it to run, by all reports I've seen.

A claim was made that this writer is only researching stories that make Dems look good and Repubs look bad, and that's clearly not true.  He proved perfectly willing to embarrass Clinton -- so much so that some Dem harpies cried about his wanting to take down the Clinton presidency.  If you want to find bias in the media, look elsewhere.

I hadn't heard that.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
What really burns me about all this is that the left, not all, but most on the left, and even a few here at Soxtalk, seem to be rooting against America, and are downright giddy when the US fails. All that gets reported is death and protesters and any failures. If you want to report the news - report ALL - good and bad.

Personally, when our troops are in harm's way, I root FOR America, no matter who the President is. I don't pick sides based on my political beliefs.

Let us not forget that we are the good guys in this. When we uncover prisoner abuse, we investigate and prosecute our own. It is not tolerated. Does Al Qaeda do that? Do Muslim extremists go after the people beheading innocent civilians? No, they're "martyrs." Some here seem to agree with that. That disgusts me.

LCR, you keep harping on how the Pentagon waited a few days to deny this report. Would you rather them deny right away only to find out it was true later? They investigated before commenting. I, for one, like and appreciate the due diligence. It's what I expect from my country.

:usa

:headbang

Sometimes rooting for the Troop means pushing to get them out of harms way.

Sometimes rooting for America is pushing to hold ourselves to a much higher standard, not using wacko terrorists as the standard bearer for our conduct. I cannot believe for a second you are thinking we should judge our conduct based on theirs, so I must be mis-reading your meaning.

What burns me is so many on the right accept whatever our GOP-led government is doing as correct, no matter what and quickly brand anyone else as un-American, even communists. Remember the Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Bush bumper stickers? That behavior goes both ways.

If Fox News' lead story was 6,000,000 drivers arrived at work safely today. Stories that begin like "here is one driver who commuted from Elmhurst to the Northside and arrived SAFELY, tell us about the trip." Would you be reading the article? If there is a 12 car pile up on the Kennedy, would you read that? Stuff working like it is suppose to isn't usually newsworthy, or of any interest to most readers.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
Do Muslim extremists go after the people beheading innocent civilians? No, they're "martyrs." Some here seem to agree with that. That disgusts me.

Pretty big accusation there. Big fan of fact checking that you are, please - when you get a chance - dig out the posts of anybody here who is pro beheading of innocent civilians, or thinks that makes anybody a martyr. I missed all of those posts and I'm sure it would change my opinion of posters if anybody flat out made such statements.

Characterizing those people who either opposed the war from the outset or else have become critical of the effort as problems, misdeeds, and false premise have come to light as misanthropes is as unfair and unjustified as anything being leveled by either side in these debates.

It's important to remember that the military is expected to do its job, in combat and in handling detainees. All of the details of the all the days that go right are not necessarily newsworthy - those days are what we should all expect if we have any faith in our military. It's not fair, to be sure, but it's the way it is. You can perform your job quite capably and get glowing performance reviews every year and it's not a blip on the radar. But if you screw up it comes to light rather quickly.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
:headbang

Stuff working like it is suppose to isn't usually newsworthy, or of any interest to most readers.

Seems we were posting similar thoughts at the same time.

Heck knows I'd rather see an hour of feelgood news most nights, compared to what I usually see. But, the world being what it is, the local headlines here yesterday were about the 8-year old girl raped and left in a landfill to die by her attacker (she was found alive thankfully) and not about Brian Hill's return to the Magic, the big theater festival opening this week, or my kid graduating from first grade today. That's the way the news works.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:16 AM)
Seems we were posting similar thoughts at the same time.

Heck knows I'd rather see an hour of feelgood news most nights, compared to what I usually see.  But, the world being what it is, the local headlines here yesterday were about the 8-year old girl raped and left in a landfill to die by her attacker (she was found alive thankfully) and not about Brian Hill's return to the Magic, the big theater festival opening this week, or my kid graduating from first grade today.  That's the way the news works.

Congrats on the graduation. Seems like just yesterday he was teething :lol:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:05 AM)
Pretty big accusation there.  Big fan of fact checking that you are, please - when you get a chance - dig out the posts of anybody here who is pro beheading of innocent civilians, or thinks that makes anybody a martyr.  I missed all of those posts and I'm sure it would change my opinion of posters if anybody flat out made such statements.

Characterizing those people who either opposed the war from the outset or else have become critical of the effort as problems, misdeeds, and false premise have come to light as misanthropes is as unfair and unjustified as anything being leveled by either side in these debates.

It's important to remember that the military is expected to do its job, in combat and in handling detainees.  All of the details of the all the days that go right are not necessarily newsworthy - those days are what we should all expect if we have any faith in our military.  It's not fair, to be sure, but it's the way it is.  You can perform your job quite capably and get glowing performance reviews every year and it's not a blip on the radar.  But if you screw up it comes to light rather quickly.

I said "seem" to agree. Don't misrepresent me.

I don't mind criticism. What I mind is people acting happy about failures or mistakes.

I agree the military is expected to do their job and do it with decency. That's why we've prosecuted several people that carried out the "abuse" at Abu Gharib.

QUOTE(mreye @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
I said "seem" to agree. Don't misrepresent me.

Don't misrepresent others here.

I'll rephrase: Who here do you think seems to believe that ruthless, murdering extremists are martyrs? This would be an opportunity for them to clarify their positions.

For that matter, I think characterizing anyone here as "happy" over the failures and mistakes of the military is hyperbole and misrepresentation. Again it's wholly unfair to dismiss the anti-war side or those more recently critical of apparent lapses and shortcomings as merely a bunch of misanthropes.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 24, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Congrats on the graduation. Seems like just yesterday he was teething  :lol:

Haha. Number One is the she, and her 5-year old brother is the he. And the big news there is that I think today is the day he gets off of his training wheels!!