This recruitment has been done for months and Illinois never had a chance for Scheyer to be completely honest. He is a good player who will probably be a solid contributor of the bench for Duke. But he is not athletic at all, and is going to struggle big time on the defensive side of the ball so he is going to the right school because he can learn to flop and hand check without getting caught. He can score but I like guys who can play good D and I don't think Scheyer can do that. I still wanted him mostly from the PR standpoint but would prefer Willie Kemp to Scheyer anyways.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big question with Weber was will he be able to recruit. This was Self's team still this year. If Self would have stayed another season Charlie Villenueva would have been wearing an Illini uniform, and the Illini would probably have a huge trophy in Champaign right now. I'm a Hawkeye and don't care for the Illini at all, although I did pull for the Big Ten in the championship, and I believe Weber did himself proud with his coaching and the way he carries himself. It will only help him recruiting. Players are going to want to play for him. He's in on many big names and only has to hit on a couple to have a great team. Losing a guy to Duke, even though he is from your state and coached by your brother never is going to look bad.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
This recruitment has been done for months and Illinois never had a chance for Scheyer to be completely honest.  He is a good player who will probably be a solid contributor of the bench for Duke.  But he is not athletic at all, and is going to struggle big time on the defensive side of the ball so he is going to the right school because he can learn to flop and hand check without getting caught.  He can score but I like guys who can play good D and I don't think Scheyer can do that.  I still wanted him mostly from the PR standpoint but would prefer Willie Kemp to Scheyer anyways.

I really think you're underestimating this kid. He may not be the most athletic, but he's certainly no stiff. He is a smart player with excellent fundamentals. He's rated one of the top recruits in the country by most services.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 17, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
I really think you're underestimating this kid. He may not be the most athletic, but he's certainly no stiff. He is a smart player with excellent fundamentals. He's rated one of the top recruits in the country by most services.

He is a very good offensive player. I just don't think he is capable of being very good defensively. He has a very good floor game, is a good shooter, and like you said he is a very intelligent player. That doesn't mean he can play D. I have said I have wanted him and that he would fit in very well to Weber's motion offense. I don't think he will start for Duke because they are bringing in Henderson in the same class with Scheyer, already have Pocius, Paulus, Nelson, and McClure. He will be a solid contributor but I don't think he is a world beater at the college level.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 17, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Thats an odd line that he idolized the Laettner led teams. Considering Scheyer would have been 4 years old at most for Laettner's senior year.

:lolhitting

Like me saying, I idolized the Flying Illini. :lol:

Edited by WHarris1

Well Duke for the most part has has VERY BAD luck with Illinois players recently.

Thompson ended up at Northwestern, Dockery has underachived badly, Livingston never got there, and didn't Magette even leave after only 1 or 2 years??

Yeah, maybe this could be a blessing in disguise, I never really bought the hype of a skinny white kid from the Northern Burbs being a savior anyways.....

If we get Sherron Collins, Brian Carlwell, and then either Willie Kemp or Marques Johnson to go with Richard Semrau, it's a top 10 class nationally anyways, and I think that's what is going to happen.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 17, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
The real loss isn't Scheyer. It's the perception of losing the states best player after a magical season. That's not even mentioning that he was coached by Weber's brother. It just looks bad.

Exactly what I was thinking. What kind of team is national runner up and can't even keep their own kids in-state? That isn't a good sign.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Exactly what I was thinking.  What kind of team is national runner up and can't even keep their own kids in-state?  That isn't a good sign.

If we don't get Sherron Collins or Brian Carlwell I'll agree with this. As for Scheyer, I suppose Weber should have been able to change the mind of a kid who always wanted to play for Duke, and is a North Shore kid where UI is seen as a backup school. Scheyer was a Dukie from the moment they offered him. I just wish he wouldn't have wasted everyone's time.

Even losing Scheyer, the Illini can still build a great foundation if they can get commitments from Sherron Collins and Brian Carlwell to go along with Semrau. Anything else would be icing on the cake for you guys. There will be a few breakout players over the summer that will have alot of interest in the Illini due to the past year. Don't worry yet.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
If we don't get Sherron Collins or Brian Carlwell I'll agree with this.  As for Scheyer, I suppose Weber should have been able to change the mind of a kid who always wanted to play for Duke, and is a North Shore kid where UI is seen as a backup school.  Scheyer was a Dukie from the moment they offered him.  I just wish he wouldn't have wasted everyone's time.

If my BROTHER is coaching a kid in my state and I can't get him to come to my school after going to a Final Four, the championship game, and being ranked the top team for the most of the year, should I be considered a good recruiter? Good recruiters for good schools are able to come in and convince kids to come to their schools even if they're leaning towards a certain school. Hey, what happened with Julian Wright?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
If my BROTHER is coaching a kid in my state and I can't get him to come to my school after going to a Final Four, the championship game, and being ranked the top team for the most of the year, should I be considered a good recruiter?  Good recruiters for good schools are able to come in and convince kids to come to their schools even if they're leaning towards a certain school.  Hey, what happened with Julian Wright?

Julian Wright always wanted to go to Kansas and thats where he went. So I'm not sure that shows someone changing where they are leaning too. Last I checked, the great recruitier Dave Leitao couldn't even get Wright to visit DePaul before he made his decision. Scheyer always wanted to go to Duke, and Chris Collins relatioship with the Scheyer's was just as much of an advantage for Duke as Dave Weber was for Illinois. Read Scheyer's comments, he always wanted to play for Duke, this isn't a case of a guy just leaning towards a certain school, this was recruiting against Duke when the guy dreamed of playing there. The Scheyer's basically even said that the only reason Illinois was even seriously considered was their run this year. So Illinois went from having zero chance to "Scheyer being torn" so Bruce must have done something right.

So you are saying if by chance, Weber brings in a class consisting of Collins, Carlwell, and Semrau he is a bad recruiter because he couldn't bring in a Scheyer?

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Julian Wright always wanted to go to Kansas and thats where he went.  So I'm not sure that shows someone changing where they are leaning too.  Last I checked, the great recruitier Dave Leitao couldn't even get Wright to visit DePaul before he made his decision.  Scheyer always wanted to go to Duke, and Chris Collins relatioship with the Scheyer's was just as much of an advantage for Duke as Dave Weber was for Illinois.  Read Scheyer's comments, he always wanted to play for Duke, this isn't a case of a guy just leaning towards a certain school, this was recruiting against Duke when the guy dreamed of playing there.  The Scheyer's basically even said that the only reason Illinois was even seriously considered was their run this year.  So Illinois went from having zero chance to "Scheyer being torn" so Bruce must have done something right.

So you are saying if by chance, Weber brings in a class consisting of Collins, Carlwell, and Semrau he is a bad recruiter because he couldn't bring in a Scheyer?

Julian Wright did not always want to go to Kansas. It took a last-minute visit by Self. Traitao had a good relationship with Wright and his family. Unfortunately, his scheduled visit was going to come after Self made his visit, but there was no need for that anyways. And there really is no comparison between Traitao and weber since he had Dorrell Wright coming to DePaul before the NBA came calling and the incoming class is ranked top 20.

That's going to be a very big chance. Talk to me after weber can bring those guys in...and that's a big if...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Julian Wright did not always want to go to Kansas.  It took a last-minute visit by Self.  Traitao had a good relationship with Wright and his family.  Unfortunately, his scheduled visit was going to come after Self made his visit, but there was no need for that anyways.  And there really is no comparison between Traitao and weber since he had Dorrell Wright coming to DePaul before the NBA came calling and the incoming class is ranked top 20.

That's going to be a very big chance.  Talk to me after weber can bring those guys in...and that's a big if...

That visit by Self was set up by Julian. Julian was not sold on Arizona, DePaul, or Illinois. So I guess you could say it was poor recruiting by all three coaches in this situation. He called up Self who he had always liked and wanted to play for and when Self came he closed the deal. Didn't say it wasn't good recruiting by Self, just not the miracle some people like to think.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
That visit by Self was set up by Julian.  Julian was not sold on Arizona, DePaul, or Illinois.  So I guess you could say it was poor recruiting by all three coaches in this situation.  He called up Self who he had always liked and wanted to play for and when Self came he closed the deal.  Didn't say it wasn't good recruiting by Self, just not the miracle some people like to think.

I actually consider it good recruiting by Traitao for getting DePaul in the mix since we're not exactly the power we used to be...Quite an understatement, I know...

We really can't compare ourselves to a 'zona or even ill...

Anyways, I'm excited about the BE, just not about all of the future recruits who have quickly dropped us off their lists...

Good luck to the illini...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
I actually consider it good recruiting by Traitao for getting DePaul in the mix since we're not exactly the power we used to be...Quite an understatement, I know...

We really can't compare ourselves to a 'zona or even ill...

Anyways, I'm excited about the BE, just not about all of the future recruits who have quickly dropped us off their lists...

Good luck to the illini...

Good luck to DePaul as well, my parents are both alums. Sleepy, quick question is Chandler still a solid commit to DePaul or is he wavering.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
Good luck to DePaul as well, my parents are both alums.  Sleepy, quick question is Chandler still a solid commit to DePaul or is he wavering.

Chandler is coming, along with Currie and Woods. I was nervous that he wouldn't, and it was a wait-and-see approach, but in the end he met with Wainwright and decided to honor his LOI. :)

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 17, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Chandler is coming, along with Currie and Woods.  I was nervous that he wouldn't, and it was a wait-and-see approach, but in the end he met with Wainwright and decided to honor his LOI.    :)

He would've had to given up a year of eligibility, so that's probably why he decided ultimately.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 22, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Sheyer isn't even that good. My friend played against him and his team beat Sheyer's team, he said he was overrated. Don't be too disappointed Illini fans, he will be a bust at Duke.

thats just what you want to believe, hes going to a team where they are good at developing players and they scouted out some good ones

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
thats just what you want to believe, hes going to a team where they are good at developing players and they scouted out some good ones

We'll see. If he isn't doing to great in AAU tourneys I doubt we will excell at Duke. Maybe he was just having an off day when he played my friends team.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
Sheyer isn't even that good. My friend played against him and his team beat Sheyer's team, he said he was overrated. Don't be too disappointed Illini fans, he will be a bust at Duke.

NO NO NO, he was BETTER than Frasor in the State Tourney..

Scheyer is the real deal.