Marte

CSF

I mentioned before that since he signed that deal that he hasn't been the same. I would actually cite 2 seperate appearances. The first, back in 2003 was when the Sox played an interleague game against the Giants and he came in and gave up a slam to Feliz. The other one was Opening Day last year when Mendy Lopez took him deep to tie it, then another one to Beltran to win it. It's like that aura of invincibilty he had is gone. Shame.

He gave up 2 cheap hits. Erstad's was a shot. Pods gave up on a ball too soon, top flight defensive LF's would have had it. Rowand deked the runner silly on the little bloop to him and if someone was on second, they would have had the force. The gun at USCF had Marte at 94 today and 96 yesterday. I thought in Toronto something may be wrong with his arm the way he was shaking it in the bullpen. I don't think that is the case anymore. It was misfortune that got Marte today. He pitched a lot better than the result. He will be fine.

Analyzing Dumb-Asswhole Marte's pitching style (i.e. release point, delivery, etc.) is futile, unless anyone out there is Don Cooper. What I do know is that his ERA is deceptively low, because he usually comes in with inherited runners, fails at holding them and then is relieved by some one who holds his runners. Like tonight and yesterday.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Damaso was fine today, he was ahead of the hitters and got beat on two little duck snorts, he'll be fine.

Good to see they were some cheapie hits, and that he didn't get knocked around. I go back to 2001-2003, and this guy was practically unhittable. You can only hope he finds that rhythm again.

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
Good to see they were some cheapie hits, and that he didn't get knocked around.  I go back to 2001-2003, and this guy was practically unhittable.  You can only hope he finds that rhythm again.

He's getting there. The best sign for me today was Damaso was getting ahead of hitters and he just got beat on a few ducksnorts, that's going to happen. I'm happy that ozzie went to him and talked to him right after the game to tell him to keep his head up. Damaso has been damn good this year and especially of late, he's just been more loose on the mound it seems to me.

Nothing.

I know this is an old thread, and a few weeks ago we were asking what happened to Damaso's fastball. He threw the fastball tonight. And I thought he threw it well, He just gave up a few bloops. Had it not been for a few defensive miscues yesterday, this thread still would have gone unbumped.

Last week, Damaso was brought in in that extra-inning affair against the Angels and was absolutely dominant. No one could hit him for like 2 innings, and I think he got a win in that game.

Just like Shingo...it's all about control right now for him. When he is throwing strikes, he just can't be hit.

Both Marte and Shingo are having the same problem; gettign their pitches over the plate.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
Marte has been pitching pretty much lights out as of late.  Politte the same.  On a sidenote, I think Takatsu will be the next person sent to the minors.

I think it's the ESPN syndrome. Everytime he appears on ESPN, Damaso gets rocked and walks in a run, usually, the winning or go-a-head run. After that, it seems to take a few more games of getting his lunch eaten until the suck washes off.

It's feast or famine with this guy. I love his stuff when he's on and his energy is awesome. There's nothing like seeing him fly off the mound pumping his fist after a big K. But when he's off... He just plain SUCKS.

Shingo to the minors?

Too much money at stake for that. If KROCH never got sent to the minors, Shingo won't either. We're just gonna have to deal... or deal him. But who's gonna take him. Maybe it's time to head back to Japan to pad those record numbers. Personally I'd love to see him figure it out here.

CLIFFY'S ON GODDAMNED FIRE... Couldn't be happier with how that turned out. Here's hoping he can keep it up.

Edited by jamalmanburg

QUOTE(jamalmanburg @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
I think it's the ESPN syndrome.  Everytime he appears on ESPN, Damaso gets rocked and walks in a run, usually, the winning or go-a-head run.  After that, it seems to take a few more games of getting his lunch eaten until the suck washes off.

It's feast or famine with this guy.  I love his stuff when he's on and his energy is awesome.  There's nothing like seeing him fly off the mound pumping his fist after a big K.  But when he's off... He just plain SUCKS. 

Shingo to the minors? 

Too much money at stake for that.  If KROCH never got sent to the minors, Shingo won't either.  We're just gonna have to deal... or deal him.  But who's gonna take him.  Maybe it's time to head back to Japan to pad those record numbers.  Personally I'd love to see him figure it out here.

One difference, Shingo doesn't get all that much money and he's not pitching here. Plus Koch did pitch down in the AAA for a while two years ago. Heck I think he finished the season pretty much down there one year (the 1st year the Sox acquired him).

If Shingo can pitch a few days a week he could very well find his command. Once he finds that he'll go on a tear and will be capable of pitching like he did last year. If he doesn't, then he has no chance of suceeding. Its worth the shot though cause he's not doing anything up here anyway and he won't improve pitching once a week.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
One difference, Shingo doesn't get all that much money and he's not pitching here.  Plus Koch did pitch down in the AAA for a while two years ago.  Heck I think he finished the season pretty much down there one year (the 1st year the Sox acquired him). 

If Shingo can pitch a few days a week he could very well find his command.  Once he finds that he'll go on a tear and will be capable of pitching like he did last year.  If he doesn't, then he has no chance of suceeding.  Its worth the shot though cause he's not doing anything up here anyway and he won't improve pitching once a week.

I'm mistaken. Still, I don't think he'll go. He's Japanese... don't know how he'll handle the SHAME. Bringing great dishonor on his family and s***. I don't know.

QUOTE(jamalmanburg @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
I'm mistaken.  Still, I don't think he'll go.  He's Japanese... don't know how he'll handle the SHAME. Bringing great dishonor on his family and s***.  I don't know.

See, I think Japanese players are different. I think he'll see it as hey I'm not pitching well enough so I need to go down there and do everything I can to get back on track. I know Nomo hated his stints in the minors but he found a way to get himself back (hell a few times) when everyone thought he was done.

Japanese players are class act performers and he'll bust his butt wherever he goes for the sense of pride (so he knows he gave it his all). He definately understands he's not playing well. I'm also sure he's frustrated because its impossible to fix your command problems by not pitching (and thats his only problem...if he starts throwing his fastball for strikes and throwing his frisbee for strikes he won't have any of these issues).