Mike Sweeney

RockRaines

All day today I have been reading about how much everyone wants to do something on the offensive side of the ball, and many different ideas have been kicked around, mostly floating around the MVP baseball level of reality. As far as teams that are willing to deal their established talent for youth and promise, I could only come across 1 that I knew had expressed that desire for sure. The Royals. The question is, would you trade some of our prosepects, gonne have to be a pitcher for sure, for Mike Sweeney to replace Kong?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 17, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
YES.

and KC would never go for it.

Im just saying this in reaction to this ESPN quote

May. 17 - The next Royals manager will need to share in the organization's youth-movement vision, the Kansas City Star reports. GM Allard Baird also wants someone with previous experience as a tactician at the major-league level – the Royals' last five skippers (John Wathan, Hal McRae, Bob Boone, Tony Muser and Tony Peña) had no big-league experience – but that's not an absolute.

The answer is NO. Sweeney is locked up for awhile I believe, and his contract becomes massive if traded ($9million turns into $12million if traded). And I doubt KC would want to take on any of that contract to alleivate the financial burden on Sweeney's new team. Also, I'm assuming KC is looking for at least two top prospects for Sweeney, and for a guy that's pretty injury prone and produces just about the same (if not less than konerko) it doesn't make much sense.

Now if we were talking Todd Helton here, well that would be a different story. :P This is lke my one billionth time dropping his name, but if moving Konerko is a real option, Helton needs to be the guy targeted. I'm sure Colorado would be willing to take about 30-40 million of his contract if the deal is right and Helton is one of the premier left-handed bats in the game. Thomas/Helton 3-4 would be absolutely ridiculous.

This is all assuming this is done mid-season which is highly unlikely since the White Sox are playing so well and Konerko is, even though it doesn't look like it, a key part of the offense. The most likely scenario is the Sox moving someone like Contreras in the off-season for a new 1st baseman, offering Konerko arbitration, and then getting two draft picks when someone pays outta their ass for him.

But if we're going to talk about replacing Konerko mid-season, Mike Sweeney is defintely not the answer to improve the club in the short and long term.

I'd pass on Sweeney because of his back woes.

I think it's time to give up on Dye, however.

Bring up Anderson and let Dye go.

Paulie just needs to suck it up and start hitting.

The team is probably just patiently waiting for frank to return to have

murderer's row of Everett, Dye, Frank and Pauilie.

p.s. Interesting that Jeremy Reed hasn't done much this year.

He gets hits and scores runs once in a while but nothing remarkable yet.

And Olivo has been horrible.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 17, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)

Reed and Olivo's performance is making the Garcia trade look better and better each day. I still think Reed is going to be a good player, but when Wiki Gonzalez is starting over Olivo you have to think he may not put it all together. So even if Reed does pan out, it would be Reed/Morse for Garcia. I'd say that's a win for the White Sox.

And to think of all the people we had to keep from jumping off a building after that trade. It's just a solid reminder that potential is potential and production is production. Just ask Joe Borchard.

Reed and Olivo's performance is making the Garcia trade look better and better each day. I still think Reed is going to be a good player, but when Wiki Gonzalez is starting over Olivo you have to think he may not put it all together. So even if Reed does pan out, it would be Reed/Morse for Garcia. I'd say that's a win for the White Sox.

And to think of all the people we had to keep from jumping off a building after that trade. It's just a solid reminder that potential is potential and production is production. Just ask Joe Borchard.

Joe Borchard can talk?

ph_400021.jpg

"DUUURRR!!!"

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 17, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
I would trade Crede for Sweeney and move Konerko to 3rd base.

Better yet move Konerko to catcher because he was drafted as a catcher and put AJP out in right, then trade Dye and Borchard to the Phillies for Bobby Abreu and Billy Wagner.

Wow, have some class dude.

Even if he is underperforming, that does not give you an excuse to make fun of how he looks.

Care to post a picture of yourself, so we may all make fun of you? :finger

It has nothing to do with his attractiveness. It's just that Borchard has that "deer caught in the headlights" look all the time.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 17, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)

you're right about Sweeney's back, the risk there is too big for the reward because Konerko can and should put up close to Sweeney's numbers. I wouldn't say let Dye go, but maybe bring up Anderson to give him a little push, if he doesn't turn it around soon (it sounded like he was hitting it well tonight, just right at people, I didn't see it but I heard it on the radio)

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ May 17, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
Wow, have some class dude.

Even if he is underperforming, that does not give you an excuse to make fun of how he looks.

Care to post a picture of yourself, so we may all make fun of you? :finger

I agree. At this point, we all realize he isn't performing too well, you don't have to post it day after day after day after day.

And, the whole "DURR" thing, you're just trying to making him look like a dumbass, which is pretty low -- to me, and I guess Yahtzee too. There's no need for it, really, considering he's not a guy who's just taken the signing bonus and gotten fat and ran with it. By all accounts he's a hard worker, one of the hardest on the team, and there's really no need for comments like that.

Why would KC not trade Sweeney within the division? He has like 3 years left on his deal, and they won't be anywhere close to competing till maybe 2007 if they are lucky. Note that Pittsburgh did not care that they were trading within the division in 03 when they sent Lofton, Ramirez, and Simon to the Cubs.

It is the Sox that should not want to deal for him. To bring up the same Pittsburgh example again, the Cubs gave up relatively nothing. If the Sox could get away with trading an overrated prospect(Hill/Borchard), a bench player who is not on the books for much longer(Hernandez/Dye), and another player who is not coming to my mind(so maybe someone could help me out...LOL), then I'd make the trade.

I'd give nothing of real long-term value to them whatsoever.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 18, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
It has nothing to do with his attractiveness.  It's just that Borchard has that "deer caught in the headlights" look all the time.

Yes Mr. Ford. ;)