Iguchi: Team-oriented player

S720

Man, I love Iguchi!!!

"In a move from hitting third in Japan to hitting second in Chicago, Iguchi's responsibilities have changed.

"I have made a lot of adjustments," said Iguchi through his translator. "In Japan, I never had to bunt. I never had to hit to the right. For me, I'm actually trying my best to fit as a No. 2 hitter. Sometimes, I don't like being the No. 2 hitter, but I'm trying to make that adjustment.

"My natural swing is more of a power swing. Since I've been here, I haven't really used that swing. I've been trying to hit to right field."

It was a combination of both power and hitting to the right side on display from Iguchi on Monday night, when he lined a pinch-hit home run over the right-field wall to tie the game in the eighth inning. The long ball off the bench served as another example of how Iguchi is doing everything asked of him to help the White Sox win, one of the reasons general manager Ken Williams worked so hard to acquire him in the offseason.

Some people would attribute Iguchi's high Japanese home run total to smaller ballparks and slightly lower pitching quality. But Iguchi believes his home run total would increase in the United States, if his offensive goals weren't so team driven.

"If they didn't ask for average, I might be able to hit more than 20 home runs," said Iguchi with a smile. "The biggest thing is I'm here to help the team win. I'm going to do what the team asks me to do and I'm going to bat accordingly."

I am so impressed with Gooch. I 'm just amazed at how well he has done. If he wasn't such a good number 2 hitter I wouldnt mind seeing him get more opportunities for RBI. If Paulie and Deadeye Dye continue to slump putting Iguchi # 5 or 6 should be considered . But how the hell can you take him outta the 2 hole when he has been perfect ? Let's hope Frank's return sparks a return to form for Paulie. With all the chances he's had to knock in runs he could be leading the league if his average was .260.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 18, 2005 -> 04:03 AM)
I am so impressed with Gooch. I 'm just amazed at how well he has done. If he wasn't such a good number 2 hitter I wouldnt mind seeing him get more opportunities for RBI. If Paulie and Deadeye Dye continue to slump putting Iguchi # 5 or 6 should be considered . But how the hell can you take him outta the 2 hole when he has been perfect ? Let's hope Frank's return sparks a return to form for Paulie. With all the chances he's had to knock in runs he could be leading the league if his average was .260.

Way i look at it

With Frank back we have a stretch of Uribe, Pods, Iguchi, Rowand, and Frank to count on...

That homerun he hit last night was amazing. He was just trying to hit a double to the opposite field and it went out of the park. He is an amazing opposite field hitter. He tries to go to RF as much as he can. He's a total team player.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)

No way do you separate Pods and Gooch.

Just SAY NO!

Why not move ARow to the 2 hole and give Tadahito a shot as the 3 hole hitter? If he'd feel more comfortable in that position, I'd think it'd only make the offense better.

Pods and Iguchi are perfect #1 and #2 hitters respectively. There is absolutely NO reason to ever change them up in the order. And Aaron is tearing it up in the #3 hole. His batting average has jumped from .230 to .279 in like 2 weeks. Why in the hell would you want to move him now?

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Well Rowand also had a great deal of success in the 2 hole last year, and if it'll make Tadahito better to move him to the 3 hole, I'm all for it.

Gooch is doing just fine where he is and AROW is hitting the cover off the ball since moving into the 3 hole. No reason whatsoever to mess with what we have going at the top of the lineup.

Even though Iguchi says he can hit 20 HR's.... dont take his word for it... Rowand has much more power than Iguchi and Iguchi is more of a protypical number 2 hitter... right now our 1-3 hitters are really only thing working well in the lineup no need to fix what isnt broken.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 17, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
Well Rowand also had a great deal of success in the 2 hole last year, and if it'll make Tadahito better to move him to the 3 hole, I'm all for it.

What you are suggesting might work. What we have right now is working. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wow I didn't realize that Tads hadn't been a #2 hitter in Japan. He looks like he has been doing it all of his life the way he gets runners over, and runs the bases.

Also in reply, there is no need to move Iguchi at all. The one consistant in our line up this year has been Pods getting on and Iguchi getting him over. There is no need to mess with that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
Wow I didn't realize that Tads hadn't been a #2 hitter in Japan.  He looks like he has been doing it all of his life the way he gets runners over, and runs the bases.

Also in reply, there is no need to move Iguchi at all.  The one consistant in our line up this year has been Pods getting on and Iguchi getting him over.  There is no need to mess with that.

Obviously Kenny saw this guy and knew he would fit perfect at #2, despite being a power hitter.

I love this guy! Love him. Hey, Ray King, can he hit MLB pitching? Dumb f***.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 18, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
Watching Ichiro throw out runners everyday..... $12,529,000

Watching Kaz Matsui hit below .240....... $7,058,333

Watching Tadahito deliver in the clutch.... Priceless

Shouldn't those numbers be expressed in Yen?

Watching Ichiro throw out runners everyday..... $12,529,000

Watching Kaz Matsui hit below .240....... $7,058,333

Watching Tadahito deliver in the clutch.... Priceless

Heh, check out some Mets boards. They are pretty pissed that they ended up with Matsui and we ended up with Iguchi at less than half Kaz's price.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 18, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
Obviously Kenny saw this guy and knew he would fit perfect at #2, despite being a power hitter.

Whats funny is kenny never saw this guy play (in person).....he took the word of his Pacific scouts......

I gotta say I love seeing this guy with that huge smile on his face after he gets something done.....and that pinch hit homerun was the best one I have seen since paulie's in I think '03 against the twins (the one that broke him out of his slump)